Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:28 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
So what if they announc there is microbial life on another planet? Any rational adult would be shocked if that isn't the case
They already did. Back in the Clinton administration. They found evidence of life on Mars. This seems to be more significant, the chatter is they have had communications with aliens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:32 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,091,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
The government has known about alien life for decades. It's nothing new.
I feel like Alien intervention is how the human race has advanced so rapidly...

Old 06-26-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
A lot of people share your beliefs. Just watch a couple of Ancient Alien episodes and you'll see that it's a fairly mainstream belief.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 AM

33,264 posts, read 26,470,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Anonymous is a collective of hackers that have done some interesting things in the past. They generally (in my opinion) tell the truth with these sort of things...

This has had a lot of chatter around the web, and is starting to have teeth. What do you guys think?

Anonymous claims NASA on verge of announcing alien life | Daily Mail Online

Hope they bring some cures of diseases, that would be awesome!
If any such announcement was to be forthcoming from NASA, but it's too soon for such an announcement, it would be about the discovery of microbial life either on Mars or on Saturn's moon Enceladus.

If anyone is interested, here is the April 2017 Congressional hearing on advances in the search for life. The hearing actually starts at 20:59 into the video. Dr. Zurbuchen, who is mentioned in the article, at 41:39 into the video as he refered to the discovery of potential life enabling energy sources on Saturn's moon Enceladus and Jupiter's moon Europa said, ''While we haven't found definitive signs of life elsewhere just yet, our search is making remarkable progress.'' His concluding statement was, ''With all this activity related to the search for life in so many different areas, we are on the verge of one of the most profound discoveries ever.''

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlZVlEHmMBw

Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Maybe they will announce that we are the aliens, as human life originated away from Earth.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I would agree with you, except that Anonymous is generally not known for performing hoaxes. They are kind of about exposing truths out there. It's more plausible to me that NASA is lying/hiding the secret and Anonymous is looking to tell the truth. To me that's more believable.
They declared "total war" on Trump in March 2016 and promised to dismantle his campaign. How did that work out? Except that some claim that that wasn't the real Anonymous and they really had declared war on Hillary. Therein lies the problem.

There is no centralized structure and official voice so how do you know Anonymous is making this claim? Plenty of grandiose claims have not panned out. Anyone can claim to be anonymous. They are like fortune tellers. You vividly remember the occasional accurate prediction and forget the many false readings.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:51 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I think we are overdue for a booster inoculation...

Old 06-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
They declared "total war" on Trump in March 2016 and promised to dismantle his campaign. How did that work out? Except that some claim that that wasn't the real Anonymous and they really had declared war on Hillary. Therein lies the problem.

There is no centralized structure and official voice so how do you know Anonymous is making this claim? Plenty of grandiose claims have not panned out. Anyone can claim to be anonymous. They are like fortune tellers. You vividly remember the occasional accurate prediction and forget the many false readings.
True, but that doesn't mean it's a hoax. The video posted in on a channel that they are known to post videos to. The real Anonymous hasn't chosen sides when it comes to politics. They are more about exposing corporate lies and deceit and haven't been too involved in our politics. Which, by the way is why I take this with a grain of salt, being that NASA is a government entity.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
But I thought that First Contact Day wasn't until April 5, 2063- when the Vulcans first made contact with us Earthlings.

lol, Only after tracking our first warp spaceflight and figuring out we weren't just some backwards cave dwellers. The plot was they were going to bypass Earth because their scans showed it to be quite unremarkable until they tracked Cochran's warp ship.

Truly a civilization capable of interstellar flight would not have much use for us in technological terms. We would be more likely to attract belligerants after our resources like Independence Day more than peaceful races like in Star Trek.

Old 06-26-2017, 11:10 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,152,910 times
Life is one thing. It would indeed be fantastic to analyze the spectrum of alien atmospheres from afar and find evidence of plant or animal life as we understand it.

Just no "civilizations," please. That will be the end of us, if God forbid they try and come to us and are successful.

I think science and government-types are right about a few things, should an actual "civilization" be discovered:

- Would cause mass upheaval among the religious wacko types, the barbarians praying to rocks and walls mostly. They'd then decide the aliens must be praying to "God" or "Allah" or (whatever), too, so it's alright. And if they're not, well hey: great conversion opportunity! Seriously, that's how they roll.

- Economic disruption, uncertainly, also for awhile. Man does not like his fundamental beliefs challenged. Absolutely, FAR crazies would come out all over the place with ideas from "wipe them out" to "let's breed with them." That would probably become a series of more-or-less permanent movements.

As a scientist by education, I'm skeptical aliens could or would be here, as in Earth, for a variety reasons that make it far-fetched at best, flying saucer low-IQ BS at worst.

What could, for all anyone knows, be more plausible is signals from other stars and galaxies. Those being tens to millions of years old. There was a recent sweep of 100K galaxies to find so called "Type III" civilizations, wonder if they actually found something out there. Next question I would ask is, if an alien civilization or empire did that, why didn't they take over every other galaxy, too, given sufficient time. Obviously they didn't (haven't), thus they can't (or won't).

We'll see. Color me skeptical. There are various essays out there discussing why being discovered or heaven forbid contacting aliens would probably be the end of us...and maybe them...though if they've come to us, they can wipe us out like ants by-definition. There are few reasons why they shouldn't wipe us off the planet. Never mind what you've seen on the TV or movies, there are much easier ways to scour an ecosystem. So, hoping "not", personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events