Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 AM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Your eye-roll is supremely ironic. You have a child-like view of what it would mean to discover extraterrestrial life in any form.

We have precisely one data point for a body containing life - Earth - and we cannot extrapolate anything from one data point. Were life to be discovered anywhere, even microbial life, it would be huge news and have huge implications. It appears that is completely lost on you because unless it looked like it something you might meet in a cantina on Tattooine, you're just bored to death by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:10 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There is your fail right there in the bolded. To figure this out one needs to stop thinking like a greedy Capitalist and think like GOD, because a civilization capable of reaching Earth in the lifetime of anyone reading this may as well be God. We won't have anything they need. I am certain there are unihabited planets that have anything a spacefaring species could want in the way of raw materials. If they have trashed their planet the way we have trashed ours and they have the ability to traverse interstellar space!!!!!... ... I think there are a whole bunch of asteroids and things in their own solar system that they could colonize. Coming to Earth would be for the adventure of it. That, and to save our Whales who don't deserve what we are doing to them.
No, our terrestrial history is all we have, anything else is speculation. You can pretend you are thinking like God but you have no clue how God thinks. You can be certain in your mind that we don't have anything they need but you're just drawing a conclusion with absolutely no evidence.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
Well, all I can say is, I see another opportunity to add to the travel ban.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,645 times
I'm sure others have already stated this ( I have not read entire thread), but alien life could be as simple as finding microorganisms in soil samples. I don't discount that there could be other human like life forms somewhere else out there, but "alien life" could be so many things.

Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
There is your fail right there in the bolded. To figure this out one needs to stop thinking like a greedy Capitalist and think like GOD, because a civilization capable of reaching Earth in the lifetime of anyone reading this may as well be God. We won't have anything they need. I am certain there are unihabited planets that have anything a spacefaring species could want in the way of raw materials. If they have trashed their planet the way we have trashed ours and they have the ability to traverse interstellar space!!!!!... ... I think there are a whole bunch of asteroids and things in their own solar system that they could colonize. Coming to Earth would be for the adventure of it. That, and to save our Whales who don't deserve what we are doing to them.
Or they could becoming to enslave us because we are 'inferior' to them- they might need a worker class on their planet. You can't be sure they will be benevolent even if they are light years ahead of us in terms of spaceflight.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:40 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
And....if they have with them a book titled "How To Serve Man"........assume it's a cookbook.
The short story the movie classic 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' was based upon had a great last line in it by Gort the huge robot. When pleading with Gort to not allow his master destroy the Earth, Gort replies, "But you misunderstand, *I* am the Master."

Old 06-27-2017, 12:46 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times
[quote=Leisesturm;48635097]
Quote:
I am dumbfounded as to why high IQ types such as Hawking, or yourself for that matter, would suppose hostile intent from a civilization capable of contacting Earth physically. I mean... if the means of transport was a vessel of some kind, it would have to be self sustaining for the duration of the journey! It would in essence be a micro-planet. What resource on Earth would be so uniquely valuable that they could not synthesize it themselves? If the means of transport is something entirely unfathomable, then it would be even less likely that there is any resource on earth that could not be acquired with far less effort on their part.
Hawking is in the business of selling books and is currently promoting some TV show. He knows that bad news sells, and alien disaster news sells even better. I admire him as a scientist, but his opinion is just that -- an opinion. It is unfortunate that the source of alien information and fear for many people comes from Hollywood movies. From the Terminator to Life, these movies depict aliens killing humans and destroying earth. It doesn't take much to plant the seed of fear and anxiety in impressionable minds.

Here are some science-based videos about aliens:

https://youtu.be/XAU9ofjcx-Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kql-6z3mABs

Last edited by davidt1; 06-27-2017 at 01:24 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 12:48 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,074,074 times
I've no doubt that these alien invaders have yet to come across one of my "from behind the ear heart punches" in their trek across the timelessness of space and will beat tracks with their tails tucked between their legs if they try any funny business with me

Last edited by Ghengis; 06-27-2017 at 01:25 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 01:18 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,529,279 times
I'm pretty sure that within the next decade or so, a NASA probe will discover microscopic evidence of life beyond earth. Not so dramatic as a picture of a little green man waving back at us, or a Vogon demolition fleet on their way to make room for the new intergalactic highway bypass.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:57 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Well, it's been confirmed:

Alien pulled over in Georgia, police say | Fox News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events