Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 03:46 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,596,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Anonymous is a collective of hackers that have done some interesting things in the past. They generally (in my opinion) tell the truth with these sort of things...

This has had a lot of chatter around the web, and is starting to have teeth. What do you guys think?

Anonymous claims NASA on verge of announcing alien life | Daily Mail Online

Hope they bring some cures of diseases, that would be awesome!

This collection of hackers, is the only thing close to alien life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 03:48 PM

19,050 posts, read 27,620,833 times
Define "life". Everyone presumes it's advanced Aliens (speaking English, of course, 2 legs, two arms, one head) but "life" is a VERY stretchy word to interpret. A virus living off rock somewhere on Mars is "life".

Old 06-26-2017, 03:50 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
There was a recent sweep of 100K galaxies to find so called "Type III" civilizations, wonder if they actually found something out there.
They have not.

Quote:
Wright et al. (2014, ApJ, 792, 26) have embarked on a search for advanced Karadashev Type III civilisations via the compilation of a sample of sources with extreme mid-IR emission and colours. The aim is to furnish a list of candidate galaxies that might harbour an advanced Kardashev Type III civilisation; in this scenario, the mid-IR emission is then primarily associated with waste heat energy by-products. I apply the mid-IR radio correlation to this Glimpsing Heat from Alien Technology (Ĝ) sample, a catalogue of 93 candidate galaxies compiled by Griffith et al. (2015, ApJS, 217, 25). I demonstrate that the mid-IR and radio luminosities are correlated for the sample, determining a k-corrected value of q22 = 1.35 ± 0.42. By comparison, a similar measurement for 124 galaxies drawn from the First Look Survey (FLS) has q22 = 0.87 ± 0.27. The statistically significant difference of the mean value of q22 for these two samples, taken together with their more comparable far-IR properties, suggests that the Ĝ sample shows excessive emission in the mid-IR. The fact that the Ĝ sample largely follows the mid-IR radio correlation strongly suggests that the vast majority of these sources are associated with galaxies in which natural astrophysical processes are dominant. This simple application of the mid-IR radio correlation can substantially reduce the number of false positives in the Ĝ catalogue since galaxies occupied by advanced Kardashev Type III civilisations would be expected to exhibit very high values of q. I identify nine outliers in the sample with q22> 2 of which at least three have properties that are relatively well explained via standard astrophysical interpretations e.g. dust emission associated with nascent star formation and/or nuclear activity from a heavily obscured AGN. The other outliers have not been studied in any great detail, and are deserving of further observation. I also note that the comparison of resolved mid-IR and radio images of galaxies on sub-galactic (kpc) scales can also be useful in identifying and recognising artificial mid-IR emission from less advanced intermediate Type II/III civilisations. Nevertheless, from the bulk properties of the Ĝ sample, I conclude that Kardashev Type III civilisations are either very rare or do not exist in the local Universe.
https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/ab...a26687-15.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
We'll see. Color me skeptical. There are various essays out there discussing why being discovered or heaven forbid contacting aliens would probably be the end of us...and maybe them...though if they've come to us, they can wipe us out like ants by-definition. There are few reasons why they shouldn't wipe us off the planet. Never mind what you've seen on the TV or movies, there are much easier ways to scour an ecosystem. So, hoping "not", personally.
Me, as well.

I'd love for it to be so, but I need to see evidence.

And I find the implications of The Great Silence to be very profound.
1983QJRAS..24..283B Page 283

Old 06-26-2017, 04:41 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,874,291 times
I'll believe it when little green men land on the White House lawn.

Old 06-26-2017, 05:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What makes you think making contact with us is their intent and that our resources aren't the primary purpose of coming here? Our terrestrial history shows us that whenever a superior invasive species competes with an existing species for resources, the existing species loses and is often exterminated.
There is your fail right there in the bolded. To figure this out one needs to stop thinking like a greedy Capitalist and think like GOD, because a civilization capable of reaching Earth in the lifetime of anyone reading this may as well be God. We won't have anything they need. I am certain there are unihabited planets that have anything a spacefaring species could want in the way of raw materials. If they have trashed their planet the way we have trashed ours and they have the ability to traverse interstellar space!!!!!... ... I think there are a whole bunch of asteroids and things in their own solar system that they could colonize. Coming to Earth would be for the adventure of it. That, and to save our Whales who don't deserve what we are doing to them.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 PM

1,863 posts, read 1,654,949 times
"Anonymous" are the same people who wear plastic Guy Fawkes masks made in some South American sweat shop.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:16 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Found some alien poop in my backyard the other day.
That may have been from a local landscaper employee though....

Old 06-26-2017, 07:18 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,063,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
“If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

-Stephen Hawking

And....if they have with them a book titled "How To Serve Man"........assume it's a cookbook.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:59 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
My guess would be the life form is a microbe, probably on a planet with water. It is still life. It's not too hard to accept that there is very likely to be such forms of life on *many* alien planets. It's also likely there could be very early plants. I'm not expecting advanced animals because while its likely that there area many many many planets where simple lifeforms exist, there would be fewer where much more advanced, like a fish and other water based live. Evolution happened faster in the primitive oceans than it did on the land on this one.

But even if its a creature who lives on a wet rock, I think it would have a major effect on some religious sorts who are absolute believers in their own dogma. It would still mean that *LIFE* has an energy of its own and we and our little solar system don't own it entirely.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:02 PM

7,081 posts, read 8,950,769 times
They must have heard it from George Noory on Coast to Coast AM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events