Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 11:11 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,372 times

Advertisements

“If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

-Stephen Hawking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 11:22 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,981,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
“If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn’t turn out very well for the Native Americans.”

-Stephen Hawking
Lol, that would be a sight to behold yeah?

Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Anonymous! LOL

Old 06-26-2017, 11:46 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,976,256 times
More like alien bacterial life, which would be pointless for NASA to hide, as it would be good for future space funding.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,927,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
As a scientist by education, I'm skeptical aliens could or would be here, as in Earth, for a variety reasons that make it far-fetched at best, flying saucer low-IQ BS at worst.

I am dumbfounded as to why high IQ types such as Hawking, or yourself for that matter, would suppose hostile intent from a civilization capable of contacting Earth physically. I mean... if the means of transport was a vessel of some kind, it would have to be self sustaining for the duration of the journey! It would in essence be a micro-planet. What resource on Earth would be so uniquely valuable that they could not synthesize it themselves? If the means of transport is something entirely unfathomable, then it would be even less likely that there is any resource on earth that could not be acquired with far less effort on their part.

Earth is doomed if its higher order thinkers cannot escape the primitive limbic programing of the human brainstem. The fear of alien invasion is actually the fear that the aliens will be appalled at the human treatment of the other sentient lifeforms that share the planet. That and the appalling disrespect that humanity has paid to the very Earth that houses our species. Their reaction would be proportionate to the magnitude of our transgression against Mother Gaia and her inhabitants, humanity included. Yah, I'd fear that.

Luckily, I ride a bicycle everywhere and/or use Mass Transit, and I recycle. I have nothing to fear from the Alien Visitors. They may make me an Ambassador . While I am enjoying the celebrity and the attention from extraterrestrial sex tourists, the F350 owners that do their own oil changes in their backyard, and do not recycle the used motor oil, will not be treated quite so benevolently. Oh well, its not like I haven't spent several years here on City Data urging the Denyers and other Luddites to wake up and smell the coffee.

Old 06-26-2017, 12:37 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,223,321 times
With the modernday advantage of practically everyone having a recording device on them, or hd capable cameras even on cell phones, where has all the UFO evidence gone?

Old 06-26-2017, 12:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I am dumbfounded as to why high IQ types such as Hawking, or yourself for that matter, would suppose hostile intent from a civilization capable of contacting Earth physically. I mean... if the means of transport was a vessel of some kind, it would have to be self sustaining for the duration of the journey! It would in essence be a micro-planet. What resource on Earth would be so uniquely valuable that they could not synthesize it themselves?
What makes you think making contact with us is their intent and that our resources aren't the primary purpose of coming here? Our terrestrial history shows us that whenever a superior invasive species competes with an existing species for resources, the existing species loses and is often exterminated.

Old 06-26-2017, 01:58 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
But I thought that First Contact Day wasn't until April 5, 2063- when the Vulcans first made contact with us Earthlings.
Come on, April 5, 2063 is a Thursday. Aliens don't make first contact on weekdays.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:06 PM

11,295 posts, read 18,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
They already did. Back in the Clinton administration. They found evidence of life on Mars. This seems to be more significant, the chatter is they have had communications with aliens.
When was this? Do you have a (mainstream) article on it? That would've been huge and I don't remember it.

Old 06-26-2017, 03:40 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,779,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
I feel like Alien intervention is how the human race has advanced so rapidly...
No, we haven't advanced that much at all, especially in the area of space travel -- an area that would be greatly helped by an alien race capable of making the light year distances to reach us. The Russians put the first rover on Mars in 1971. Today, 45 years later, we still haven't been able to do anything beyond putting rovers on Mars.

As for the existence of aliens, I believe bacterial life is common. Surface life like animals and plants are rare. Technological life like humans is very rare, if not unique. The process of going from a bacteria to complex life and eventually intelligent life requires a long time and stability, which on earth would not have been possible if it weren't for the moon and Jupiter.

Last edited by davidt1; 06-26-2017 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events