Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:37 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I know nothing about this case except what's in this thread. But the good Samaritan's off duty sheriff friends could have been a better help to their friend. Letting him walk around alone with a small child instead of radioing the sheriff's office, or the announcement booth at the game....anything would have helped.

Never put a child in your car, or walk off.....Stand there and start screaming for help....have lots of witnesses. Call 911 and report that you've found a child.

A single male especially in this day and age is at risk of being accused.

But, thank goodness for those that do try to help.
Yup. Not only that, but it remains unexplained why the Good Samaritan was heading out to the parking lot with the child. Did he really think her parents would be out there? That's very strange. Especially since he had an off-duty officer or sheriff friend with him at the game, who could have advised him as to the best way to proceed.

OTOH, who loses a 2-year-old? How can you not remain vigilant when you bring a small child to a crowded arena? Why don't people know how to keep track of their kids, especially little kids who can be prone to scamper off, and are too small to be seen in a crowd of people? Who brings a toddler to a game, anyway? They're sure to get bored. Could the dad not afford a baby-sitter?

None of this adds up. It sounds like Dad didn't have his thinking cap on, and going to the game was more important to him than his child's safety and well-being. Was this a non-custodial parent, exercising his weekend visitation rights? That might explain the carelessness. "Oh, jeez, I'm stuck with the kid again this weekend, and it's the big game. What to do? Oh, hey (lightbulb!), I can take her to the game, and have her sit with me for hours in the hot sun! Yeah, that'll work!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Kids get lost very easily, you just blink and they're gone.

At Walmart the other day, I found a kid crying. I talked to him (did not touch him!), and told him we should go to the cashier so they could make an announcement to find his mom.

His mother turned up, gathered him up and walked off without a word to me. Or maybe she wasn't his mom, just a kidnapper...

Old 06-27-2017, 12:27 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
I don't know. There is something more going on here

Old 06-27-2017, 02:55 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
We-ll, in the 2 or 3 times I've found myself in that position, most recently in just the last year, I've shadowed the child until I could direct uniformed assistance to their location.

Call me paranoid or too romantic of my Spook days but face it, unless you look something official such as in uniform, you really have no way of being told friend from foe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

OTOH, who loses a 2-year-old? How can you not remain vigilant when you bring a small child to a crowded arena? Why don't people know how to keep track of their kids, especially little kids who can be prone to scamper off, and are too small to be seen in a crowd of people? Who brings a toddler to a game, anyway? They're sure to get bored. Could the dad not afford a baby-sitter?
Shrug......it happens. Many years ago, I was at a post foot race festival when I saw a little child looking around very confused among many, many tall adults. I shadowed the child until I could get the attention of a booth vendor with "Excuse me, but that child looks lost.". They immediately approached the child (their uniform, tee and ball cap) and "fortunately", a very panicked mother arrived on the scene in under a minute.

Sometimes, it doesn't take a festival. The one I shadowed last year escaped the house while Mom was cleaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
....... That poor kid is going to grow up thinking that no one is trustworthy........
Well, let's keep something in mind here. Do we not tell children "Don't talk to strangers"? Have we not told them that for decades?

It's probably reason 3 or 4 with me, but it is another reason why I shadow but do not approach.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 06-27-2017 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-27-2017, 02:57 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times
Strange story. He should have handled it a bit different to find the parents. I would have found a female to help out.

I have to tell my story on a lost child at Magic Kingdom. It was so funny. Apparently this little boy was lost. Most kids would cry and stand there looking around or walk slowly, but no...not this kid. He was whaling and running through the park so fast, the park attendant couldn't catch him. When he ran past by us, the park attendant was trying to catch up to him and couldn't and we saw him waving his hand for the kid to stop (he was laughing too). I am guessing he finally caught up to the little dude to help him. We were laughing all day at that situation.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
And even after the police explanation and the witness statement, the dad is still holding his ground that the guy was trying to take his kid. That poor kid is going to grow up thinking that no one is trustworthy, and that dad will lash out at the drop of a hat.

I don't see that.. It looks like some of his friends who are doing the facebook shaming might be, but the dad seems to just be sticking to the "I was wrong, but that doesn't matter" defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
At the very least, I would sue for slander and defamation of character. At the least. Unless of course he has something to hide.

He was investigated, has no criminal history.. So, not sure what would be to hide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The father that punched the other person and got away with it was there with his cop buddies. If the roles had been reversed, the cops would have killed the puncher and claimed to have feared for their lives.

No, the person who was punched was there with his cop buddies. So.. Blows your theory up. The article repeatedly refers to the Samaritan as "the citizen" and the father as "the father". The Citizen, was there with 3 off duty police friends.

All in all.. The Samaritan likely wasn't hurt by the punches and let it go. In a small way, I'd understand that thinking.. No real harm, no foul.. Somewhat understandable that the Dad would think that way, though that in no way excuses his actions. You see a guy with a knife to the neck of an old lady and shoot him.. Only to find he was cutting a loose thread off her sweater.. You're still guilty of manslaughter, if not murder. Old 'road to hell...' theory.

Now, the people posting crap on facebook.. Yeah.. I'd have a hard time just dropping that.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:15 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I don't see that.. It looks like some of his friends who are doing the facebook shaming might be, but the dad seems to just be sticking to the "I was wrong, but that doesn't matter" defense.
From the link:

Quote:
When asked, the child’s father told us he just doesn’t buy the man’s version of events.

“No. Hell no I don’t. Not at all,” he said.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM

22,460 posts, read 11,981,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Well, let's keep something in mind here. Do we not tell children "Don't talk to strangers"? Have we not told them that for decades?

It's probably reason 3 or 4 with me, but it is another reason why I shadow but do not approach.
Yes, we do tell children "Don't talk to strangers". However, many experiments have shown that, despite hearing that repeatedly, kids will still talk to strangers.

Here is one experiment. There are others out there with similar results. Even when we told our own daughter about not talking to strangers, we did catch her doing so one day. She was outside playing with friends while I watched from inside. A stranger and his kid approached and she started talking to them.

Chilling experiment shows how children were happy to walk off with a stranger in the park... and it took just 90 seconds to persuade them | Daily Mail Online

Old 06-27-2017, 04:04 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Yes, we do tell children "Don't talk to strangers". However, many experiments have shown that, despite hearing that repeatedly, kids will still talk to strangers.
I'm not a parent, but what I've heard from parents is that "don't talk to strangers" isn't the best safety advice anymore. Lots of kids think that a stranger is going to look like a cartoon villain or a bad guy, and not a like a grandpa with a puppy. Besides, people do need to talk to strangers from time to time, and in a situation where a kid needs help, sometimes the help is coming from a stranger. It's more important to teach kids how to be safe, like telling them that a grownup is not going to ask a kid for help or having a plan if they get separated from the group.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:07 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,973,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post

Here is one experiment. There are others out there with similar results. Even when we told our own daughter about not talking to strangers, we did catch her doing so one day. She was outside playing with friends while I watched from inside. A stranger and his kid approached and she started talking to them.

Chilling experiment shows how children were happy to walk off with a stranger in the park... and it took just 90 seconds to persuade them | Daily Mail Online
Yes, I am aware of those experiments.

A and B.

A: I rather think of myself as an "internal security agent, inactive" in that I watch society, seeing (if the occur) the various lures I learned in the Navy and the like that might be used by an opposing force. I will notice, as previously stated, unsecured situations. I generally don't approach or confront unless it is immediately necessary and then, probably depending on the bluff of coming across like an "East German Border Official". Ie, "I am not satisfied with your explanation. You will produce identification now.".

I guess call it simply mind games. I know the mind games they might play and I know how to play them a little as well.

B: Even if "don't talk to strangers" doesn't work with all children or for that matter, most of them, we should not stop telling them that.

and then, there is C: Above all, remember that ........ "You can't be a good crook with a dishonest face.".

Quote:
......... It's more important to teach kids how to be safe, like telling them that a grownup is not going to ask a kid for help...........
Well, yes, but.......

Yes in that it goes back to one of the lessons I learned about questioning first meetings. Why is this person talking to me, why are they interested in me? Why is this conversation happening?

Of course, this is more complex thinking than what a child is doing but it is still the same thing.

But.......decades after my days in intelligence, I am still thinking like that. I love being hit on but I still take a step back and question why this is happening.

It's a safe approach, yes, but I at least pose the question (now taking the opposite side of things)....how early an age do we want to dash innocence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events