Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 04:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The other story didn't have either party's name, but now I wonder, with a name like Patel, if there wasn't some kind of prejudice happening. This wasn't just any guy trying to help, it was an Indian guy, a brown guy, and in today's climate there could be some bias about that.
You think if the father had spotted a white guy carrying his daughter away from the fields that he might have offered him a cold beer instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 04:57 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. Not only that, but it remains unexplained why the Good Samaritan was heading out to the parking lot with the child. Did he really think her parents would be out there? That's very strange. Especially since he had an off-duty officer or sheriff friend with him at the game, who could have advised him as to the best way to proceed.

OTOH, who loses a 2-year-old? How can you not remain vigilant when you bring a small child to a crowded arena? Why don't people know how to keep track of their kids, especially little kids who can be prone to scamper off, and are too small to be seen in a crowd of people? Who brings a toddler to a game, anyway? They're sure to get bored. Could the dad not afford a baby-sitter?

None of this adds up. It sounds like Dad didn't have his thinking cap on, and going to the game was more important to him than his child's safety and well-being. Was this a non-custodial parent, exercising his weekend visitation rights? That might explain the carelessness. "Oh, jeez, I'm stuck with the kid again this weekend, and it's the big game. What to do? Oh, hey (lightbulb!), I can take her to the game, and have her sit with me for hours in the hot sun! Yeah, that'll work!"
Maybe folks were tailgating and the Samaritan was checking there....or the child could have wandered from that area. Obviously the other off-duty sheriffs didn't think anything was strange about it.

I feel very sorry for the good Samaritan
Case in point the Samaritan was attacked simply because the father was already likely out of his head from looking for his child.....he wouldn't have heard any explanation....He simply went off...and his friends joined in....tragic.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:37 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) Speculation about stuff like this with absolutely zero proof is unsavory at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No more speculation than it is him being a "good samaritan".
Yes, it's speculation to call this guy a Good Samaritan when THE POLICE RELEASED A STATEMENT SPECIFICALLY CALLING HIM A 'GOOD SAMARITAN'!

Did you even read the article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
2) One would think that the fact that he came to the game with 3 police officer friends would logically register as not the type of thing a "potential abductor" would do and would end such speculation.
Well, apparently some people think that trying to abduct a child while attending an event with multiple LEO acquaintances and drawing lots of attention to yourself by asking numerous passersby 'Is this your child? Do you know who this child's parents are?' is how it goes down.

Frankly, some people just just look at every story and try and come up with the most wild-eyed and hare-brained explanations possible.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:35 PM

48,537 posts, read 34,891,275 times
Before if I found a child I would take there hand and lead them to a manager, now, if it happens, I make sure I am never touching the child and keep a distance. I'm female.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2017, 07:49 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
I actually found a lost child in Target a few months ago. I'm an upper 30s male and look pretty normal but the only thing I did was stay near the ~2 year old (in the vicinity) and shouted somewhat loudly "DID ANYONE LOSE THEIR 2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER???" A mother from about 3-4 aisles over came running. The kid was probably 10' from me, the mother grabbed the girl quickly, while yelling at her and walked away. No thank you or anything. I kind of felt like I did something wrong for some reason.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:28 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Here's another story on it that has a little more information and clarifies some things.

'Good Samaritan' bullied, beaten and called a kidnapper after he - FOX Carolina 21

Quote:
When the police told the girl's family that the man wouldn't be arrested, they reported the father "became increasingly agitated."...
"So I guess in Lakeland, you can kidnap a child and get away with it," the father said to police....
Unsatisfied, the family took to Facebook and shared his name, his profile and pictures of him and his kids, calling him a sexual predator. ...
The man and his family left town of their own accord, afraid for their lives

Last edited by toosie; 06-30-2017 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: TOS - copyright - just a link and 2-3 sentence brief snippet

Old 06-29-2017, 08:31 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
^^^DEFINITELY lawsuit time!

Old 06-29-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
^^^DEFINITELY lawsuit time!

Yep.. I was trying to give the dad the benefit of the doubt that he was just caught up in the moment, and perhaps some of his friends were dembasses.. But.. Nope.. It appears it's the dad, too.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:45 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yep.. I was trying to give the dad the benefit of the doubt that he was just caught up in the moment, and perhaps some of his friends were dembasses.. But.. Nope.. It appears it's the dad, too.
Who are you going to sue? No evidence that the father posted anything.

From the story I linked to that had the most detailed info...
Following the incident, police said pictures of Patel began surfacing on Facebook with links to his page, his work address and the notion that he was a predator. Strickland said he is not an advocate of the malicious posts.

An independent witness, Nichole Floyd, 32, who did not observe the entire incident, said she saw Patel walking with the girl asking the girl whether each man was her “daddy.”

Old 06-29-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Who are you going to sue? No evidence that the father posted anything.

From the story I linked to that had the most detailed info...
Following the incident, police said pictures of Patel began surfacing on Facebook with links to his page, his work address and the notion that he was a predator. Strickland said he is not an advocate of the malicious posts.

An independent witness, Nichole Floyd, 32, who did not observe the entire incident, said she saw Patel walking with the girl asking the girl whether each man was her “daddy.”
Based on this..

Quote:
Unsatisfied, the family took to Facebook and shared his name, his profile and pictures of him and his kids, calling him a sexual predator. Soon, his information was everywhere.
I'd say.. The family. Whoever is making the Facebook posts. If the father doesn't approve of the posts, he's the one in the best position to have stopped them. Doesn't seem like he's doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events