Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:54 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times

Advertisements

poor guy. that'll teach him to try to help a toddler next time.

Quote:
A man trying to help a lost toddler find her parents was misidentified as a kidnapper on social media over the weekend, according to police in Lakeland, Fla., prompting him to leave town in fear for his safety and the safety of his family.

The man was also punched by the child’s father who told local media that he “thought he was trying to take my daughter” and “wanted to kill him.”
A man helped a lost toddler find her parents, police say. He was smeared online as a predator and fled town
Good Samaritan helping lost toddler in Lakeland gets beat up by parent, Facebook shamed | WFLA.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
What kind of game is this where you lose your 2 year old? Doesn't sounds like a very good game.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,586,907 times
maybe a game with alcohol involved?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 AM

29,748 posts, read 34,415,700 times
And even after the police explanation and the witness statement, the dad is still holding his ground that the guy was trying to take his kid. That poor kid is going to grow up thinking that no one is trustworthy, and that dad will lash out at the drop of a hat.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:04 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,997,708 times
Definitely time for a libel suit against that family. And the good Samaritan definitely should have pressed assault charges against the father.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:14 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times
Quote:
The police statement did not provide names and no one was charged.
The father, who committed assault, will not be charged? And why? Once again, so long as a person thinks (however mistakenly) that there's some sort of danger, they're legally allowed to violently assault another person. Because heaven forbid we crimp the style of those who prefer to shoot/punch first and ask questions later. I guess we can only be thankful that Dad left his firearm at home, or we all know exactly how this would have ended.

Quote:
The father made no apologies for his actions but told The Post, “All that matters is that my daughter is home safely.”
Really, Dad? If that's all that matters, then why was your daughter lost? Because you were so absorbed in other things that you lost track of her. In other words, if 'all that matters' is your daughter's safety, then this never would have happened. But it did happen. Because, for you, that wasn't all that mattered.

And you're too gutless to admit your culpability in first neglecting your daughter and second in assaulting the stranger who cared about your daughter when you were too busy to do so.

Quote:
The good Samaritan told several local outlets that he has now left town with his family for their safety. He says he will not press charges against the father.
So, basically, the good Samaritan is a better person than Dad in just about every way.

PS, OP: How about filing it under something like 'Good Samaritan helping lost toddler in Lakeland gets beat up by parent, Facebook shamed' so that the title actually describes the incident? I hate threads with non-descriptive musings for titles.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:51 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
At the very least, I would sue for slander and defamation of character. At the least. Unless of course he has something to hide.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:26 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,340,261 times
The father that punched the other person and got away with it was there with his cop buddies. If the roles had been reversed, the cops would have killed the puncher and claimed to have feared for their lives.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,231,638 times
I know nothing about this case except what's in this thread. But the good Samaritan's off duty sheriff friends could have been a better help to their friend. Letting him walk around alone with a small child instead of radioing the sheriff's office, or the announcement booth at the game....anything would have helped.

Never put a child in your car, or walk off.....Stand there and start screaming for help....have lots of witnesses. Call 911 and report that you've found a child.

A single male especially in this day and age is at risk of being accused.

But, thank goodness for those that do try to help.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:27 AM

838 posts, read 555,776 times
One day soon body cams won't be primarily for law enforcement anymore. But I'm sure moving in that direction will upset someone, somewhere, somehow.

These are the types of stories that will make me think twice in getting involved. Such a shame....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events