Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 04:12 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
From the link:

Yeah.. Interpretation.. and, I certainly see your interpretation of it.. I read it more as a 'things didn't happen like that guy said' vs 'He lying and he was trying to abduct my child'

And, I think, that may have been said partly to cover his own butt.. There's a fine line here between his actions being justified and not. He seems to be something of a moron and thinking that because he thought something was happening, then his response was justified. it almost seems like he really believes that.

I suppose.. It could be looked at if he's been mouthing off to his friends, which causes them to post the things on facebook, that he's just digging himself a deeper hole. And they're going to be in the same hole with him.. Which isn't a smart thing to do.

All that being said.. This guy has to be an idiot of the highest magnitude if he continues to insist that the child was being abducted. (Which is why I interpret his statement differently) You go in front of a jury and try to explain that someone at a ball game with three cop friends (especially if he was riding with them, which we don't know) was attempting to abduct a 2 year old.

a simple mea culpa here and an apology and it would all be over. Seems like a classic "Don't poke the bear".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yup. Not only that, but it remains unexplained why the Good Samaritan was heading out to the parking lot with the child. Did he really think her parents would be out there? That's very strange. Especially since he had an off-duty officer or sheriff friend with him at the game, who could have advised him as to the best way to proceed.
I'm not inclined to call the father mistaken or the other man a good samaritan. Maybe leading her around asking "is this your parents" was his way of getting away with her, knowing good and well where her parents were and leading her away from them. No excuse to be taking her to the parking lot. Against her will at that. Obviously he didn't take her to all the spectators in the area. It's a youth game. Everyone is watching it. Walk the girl to home plate and then ask the crowd.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:15 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,001,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
We-ll, in the 2 or 3 times I've found myself in that position, most recently in just the last year, I've shadowed the child until I could direct uniformed assistance to their location.

Call me paranoid or too romantic of my Spook days but face it, unless you look something official such as in uniform, you really have no way of being told friend from foe.

Shrug......it happens. Many years ago, I was at a post foot race festival when I saw a little child looking around very confused among many, many tall adults. I shadowed the child until I could get the attention of a booth vendor with "Excuse me, but that child looks lost.". They immediately approached the child (their uniform, tee and ball cap) and "fortunately", a very panicked mother arrived on the scene in under a minute.

Sometimes, it doesn't take a festival. The one I shadowed last year escaped the house while Mom was cleaning.

Well, let's keep something in mind here. Do we not tell children "Don't talk to strangers"? Have we not told them that for decades?

It's probably reason 3 or 4 with me, but it is another reason why I shadow but do not approach.

if video security cameras catch you "shadowing" little kids you might end up like the guy in the story.

Mentioning " shadowing kids" 3 times will land you on a suspect list.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 PM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Kids get lost very easily, you just blink and they're gone.

At Walmart the other day, I found a kid crying. I talked to him (did not touch him!), and told him we should go to the cashier so they could make an announcement to find his mom.

His mother turned up, gathered him up and walked off without a word to me. Or maybe she wasn't his mom, just a kidnapper...
That's why you hold onto them at all times. They can't disappear in a blink if you're holding their hand as you walk, and have them sitting on your lap while you sit. A 2-year-old is too young to stay put in his seat, so you hold him/her. I've never heard of anyone taking a toddler to an hours-long event, until this thread, though. This sounds like a dad who didn't want to call a babysitter, or didn't have anyone to call, or was stuck with weekend custody of a kid he didn't want around on the day of a big game. The kid shouldn't have been stuck in a crowded stadium for hours, in the first place.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,203,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
....And, I think, that may have been said partly to cover his own butt.. There's a fine line here between his actions being justified and not. He seems to be something of a moron and thinking that because he thought something was happening, then his response was justified. it almost seems like he really believes that.....
Yes, the more he howls about an abduction the more people are distracted from the basic fact that he let his very small child wander off in the crowd. Thus, he becomes a hero in everyone's eyes, including his own, instead of an a-hole.

I don't think that his behavior/"act" is that unusual.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:30 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
The dad is sticking to his guns and blaming this guy still because he knows HE is the reason his kid got lost. He's deflecting blame.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,209,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

He was investigated, has no criminal history.. So, not sure what would be to hide.

I was was referring to maybe he WAS there to steal a kid. Hiding that. I hadn't heard he was with 3 cop buddies. So that idea goes out the window.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:13 AM

9,424 posts, read 11,179,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The father that punched the other person and got away with it was there with his cop buddies. If the roles had been reversed, the cops would have killed the puncher and claimed to have feared for their lives.
No. The story states the citizen was visiting off-duty sheriff's deputies.

“I saw this man with my daughter in his hands walking toward the parking lot. What would you do?” the father asked. “I wanted to kill him!”

Police officers thoroughly investigated this incident and interviewed witnesses, and based upon their investigation, determined no crime was committed. The citizen does not have a criminal history and officers verified that he was there visiting friends, who happened to be off-duty deputies.

The good Samaritan also declined to have charges filed against the father.

So where were HIS cop buddies?

Old 06-28-2017, 09:33 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I was was referring to maybe he WAS there to steal a kid. Hiding that. I hadn't heard he was with 3 cop buddies. So that idea goes out the window.
Why does that idea go out the window? Does having cops for friends somehow prove that you are a good person and innocent?

So where were these cop friends? Where were they when the guy spotted the girl walking around? Nobody reported 4 guys leading a girl around or taking her to the parking lot. They reported one guy with the girl. Why didn't he take the girl to these "cops" who would know how to handle it properly? Where were these cop friends when he was taking the girl away and got attacked by the father?

I would bet dollars to donuts the cops were more like "acquaintances" than friends and that the guy showed up on his own to hang out with them not the other way around.

Quite clearly the guy did not take her around to much of the crowd as the father was there with quite a few friends who knew him well enough to recognize his daughter at a distance. You don't take a little girl away from the crowd at all, much less when you haven't verified none of them are the parents.

Any perp trying to abduct a kid at a public event is going to have a great cover story.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:10 AM

275 posts, read 185,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Why does that idea go out the window? Does having cops for friends somehow prove that you are a good person and innocent?

So where were these cop friends? Where were they when the guy spotted the girl walking around? Nobody reported 4 guys leading a girl around or taking her to the parking lot. They reported one guy with the girl. Why didn't he take the girl to these "cops" who would know how to handle it properly? Where were these cop friends when he was taking the girl away and got attacked by the father?

I would bet dollars to donuts the cops were more like "acquaintances" than friends and that the guy showed up on his own to hang out with them not the other way around.

Quite clearly the guy did not take her around to much of the crowd as the father was there with quite a few friends who knew him well enough to recognize his daughter at a distance. You don't take a little girl away from the crowd at all, much less when you haven't verified none of them are the parents.

Any perp trying to abduct a kid at a public event is going to have a great cover story.
You have to be a very special type of stupid to try to abduct a child while hanging out with cops, specially when different race (you can't even try to lie about it).
I think the incident happened during weekend visitation and the father is trying hard to divert attention from the fact he was probably drinking hard, not taking care of his kid and would have driven the kid back probably above the legal limit. He screwed up and is trying to cover it. If I were the Good Samaritan I would press charges for assault and libel against him and his Facebook buddies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events