Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 06:43 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times

Advertisements

To know that he's still out there on the roads...

Old 07-01-2017, 06:45 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,526,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
But one thing I do not understand is why does the headline say "high school graduate"? Yes, she just graduated, but most people are high school graduates. It would be just as attention-grabbing to say "18-year-old shot in road rage incident".
No. She was a recent high school graduate with friends, family, and hope for the future life she was just beginning. All cut off when she tried to merge in front of an idiot with severe mental problems.
Why do I say mental problems? Anyone who travels with quick access to a hand gun is planning something some day. That is premeditated murder. He had to be crazy.
You can expect to see a lot of this kind of incident in the future in North Carolina with the unregulated open carry law now before the legislature.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:22 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania HS graduate shot in the head in road rage incident - NY Daily News

The murderer still has not been apprehended.

But one thing I do not understand is why does the headline say "high school graduate"? Yes, she just graduated, but most people are high school graduates. It would be just as attention-grabbing to say "18-year-old shot in road rage incident".
The word "recent" before "high school graduate" would have made a little sense, conveying the tragedy that she was just beginning her adult life. There probably wasn't enough space.

Proofreaders don't exist anymore. My mother's local paper had an item announcing a support group for homicide victims. Yeah, OK. Not much dialogue at that meeting.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:32 AM

115 posts, read 96,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
These road rage incidents seem more and more common although that may be because of social media. Either way, I avoid road conflicts at all costs. Someone cutting me off or flipping me the bird does not cause me to get incredibly angry anymore. I chalk it up to major idiots on our roadways with no self discipline. I want to live to see another day.

My mother was involved in a road rage incident in Boston in the late 70s. Boston is known for its crazy, rogue drivers. An aggressive guy (behind her at an intersection) who wanted her out of the way was screaming and cursing at her, throwing up his fist, etc. She ignored him at first, then he slowed down next to her and gestured to her. She sarcastically blew him a kiss and laughed. He then proceeded to follow her for about 15 minutes, as close to her car as he could get. It really unnerved her. I told her not to antagonize anyone in this kind of situation--satisfying to her in the moment but not worth it in the long run. It could have turned out worse. So, be careful out there.

Old 07-01-2017, 08:35 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
A stupid and tragic way for a young person to die!

Old 07-01-2017, 10:04 AM
KCZ

4,673 posts, read 3,665,713 times
Quote:
Pennsylvania HS graduate shot in the head in road rage incident - NY Daily News

The murderer still has not been apprehended.

A lot of news stories, both television and print, have led with the fact that she had just graduated days ago and was about to leave for college orientation. The DA talked about it and was quoted in most stories.

I don't agree with the way a lot of victims are described. When someone is injured or killed due to violent crime, I don't see why their age, race, marital status, educational status, or occupation matters. It's a tragedy without all those qualifiers.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:41 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
I don't really believe in "road rage." If you wouldn't normally shoot someone in the head, you're not going to do it just because you don't like the way they drive. He's just a homicidal maniac. "Road rage" is not an excuse.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:52 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
I don't really believe in "road rage." If you wouldn't normally shoot someone in the head, you're not going to do it just because you don't like the way they drive. He's just a homicidal maniac. "Road rage" is not an excuse.
20/20 did a special on 'Road Rage' last evening. The young lady at the heart of this thread was the last story of the program.

Do I believe in Road Rage? Yes. Do I think he was already twisted to do what he did to that poor girl? Yes.

So I agree with you Sweet Like Sugar. I think something sick has to already dwell in someone's soul to be able to kill another human being so easily. He should have reacted by turning the steering wheel, not by a split seconds thought of grabbing a gun and taking permanent breath from someone.

I also hope that the News stays diligent on this one, and that the guy is caught. We certainly don't need the likes of him on our streets.

edit: Something tells me they will catch him. It may not be connected to this tragic event, but someone who does something this vile most certainly will turn up on the radar sooner or later. We can only hope for sooner.

Last edited by TerraDown; 07-01-2017 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-01-2017, 02:00 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
This case gave me an indication to pause.

Everyone once in a while I will react to some annoying douche bag on the road who feels as though he/she has right to do xyz. I'll admit that. However, for the most part, I usually ignore nutty people on the road who exhibit road rage by not giving them direct contact or making any indication that I want to interact with them in any way shape or form. However, that still won't protect me or anyone that I love.

How do you protect yourself against becoming a victim like this young girl was?

It's scary, honestly.

Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 PM

1,078 posts, read 938,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It takes a real man to shoot a girl in the head from his car. They need to bring back the chair for cases like this.
That's too fast for this jerk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events