Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:36 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,793,315 times

Advertisements

I think I had about 25 calls from "Heather at Account Services..." in the last two months.

Work cell phone, personal cell phone, landline, etc.

I don't know what "she" was trying to sell or extract. *click*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I must be special

I now don't answer my phone when I get unknown caller. In fact I usually didn't answer these calls before unless I was unsure if it was somebody I thought I knew that I had business with.

Guess what? They still call. Then they stop for a while. Then it starts up again. They will call several times a day or more for weeks. Then nothing. Don't answer doesn't stop them. I block every number, but we all know that doesn't work.

Glad I'm old because I won't have to put up with phone and internet scams that much longer.
My point was that they would eventually stop if EVERYONE would stop answering the spam/scam calls and falling victim to their scams because they will eventually starve and die off because they are not finding enough, or any, victims to make their money from which is the only thing that keeps them going and continually getting worse. But the key is that it is a process and a 100% group effort to get them to stop so it surely won't happen overnight or instantly.

You have options that will help in the meantime: 1) Stop answering their calls and 2) if the constant ringing of your phone bothers you then utilize any and all of the other services available to attempt to deter the calls. Now, if everyone would follow this then the calls will eventually start dying off, but they won't die off unless everyone or enough people follow this.

I have definitely noticed a huge decrease in the calls from being very proactive and utilizing all my options.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:02 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
Even with all numbers listed on the do not call list, I receive at least 1 call daily. Some days 3 or more. My opinion that do not call list is bogus. The numbers provided are sold off being that they are registered as working numbers. And the do not call list people never answer messages or emails so that too leads me to believe that list wasn't created to curb unwanted calls.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:15 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,499,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
As I've posted previously on a similar thread about these nuisance calls, I have a couple of response. Usually I just use an old codger voice and repeat "Hello? Hello? Hello? ad infinitum, then say "I cain't hear ye, bye-bye..." and hang up.

My other favorite game is to use the same old country folks voice and launch into a wordy, Bible-quoting spiel for a favorite (very real!) charity of mine, which serves over 1,000 orphans in an eastern European country. I rave on and on about how the Bible says we're supposed to help ("hep") "widders an' orphuns", and how those pore little cheel-dren over thar in Eastern Europe need so much, and conclude by saying "I jes' KNOW you wont to hep, too, don't ye? Didn't you tell me yore name wuz "Christopher"? I know ye're a good Christian, to have that name, so how much to ye wont to send me for the little cheel-dren? Jesus loves the leetle cheel-dren of the world, ye know...".

A friend of mine lets the callers complete their script, then responds "They're coming. The Little Green Men - they're coming out of the hole in the wall! Do you want to talk to them? Come here, Little Green Men - I got a call for you!"

I think I might respond in French next time..." 'Allo?? Comment allez-vous ses soir? Sur le point d'Avignon....Frere Jacques, Frere Jacques, dormez vous?...bouef bourguignon...Mademoiselle de Armentieres, Parlez-vous?? La plume de ma tante es sur la table du mon oncle" and so on, rattled off at a breathless pace.

Zut, alors!

(Latin might be fun, too... "Rudolphus cervus nasum, rubicundum habebat!")
I used to do the Hello Hello thing too. It really bugs them when you stay quiet until they start to say something then loudly say Hello drowning them out. If you listen closely you can hear them take a short breath to say something and be ready to shout Hellooooo before they even get their first syllable out. I never had to hang up first on that one.

I got tired of that and now I just never answer.

But the reverse sales call is tempting. Asking for a charitable donation is funny. Or act like they're calling about your Craigslist ad for that couch that your cat peed on. Try to convince them that the stain washed out and it only smells when it's humid outside.

Or tell them you're an insurance agent and their wife just bought a million dollar life insurance policy on them. Are you two getting along okay? Because if not, you should really be careful! Don't eat any food she touches because poisoning is a very popular way to collect insurance pay outs. And don't sleep in the same bed. It's really easy to smother someone while they're sleeping.

Hmmm maybe I'll answer the next one.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
I don't get any and haven't for about 20 years. My number is always unlisted and I signed up with the do-not-call registry. It works.
I'm on the do not call registry and I get about 1 a day because they don't give a crap.
They also use "spoofing" meaning the number showing up isn't the number they're actually calling from.
They also leave robo voicemails which is also illegal.

It's not like the US gov can do anything to them.

I got on the scammers mailing lists (that they sell to each other) because some young fool looking for "student loan forgiveness" put down a fake phone number when enquiring which happened to be mine.

So, count your blessings because all it takes is one person to get you on the scam lists and then you are on forever.

The main ones I get are:

1) Student loan forgiveness

2) Recently started getting calls about shareholder votes (they left a v-mail, I don't answer) when clearly they're going to try to get you on the phone and "confirm" your name, account numbers etc.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Even with all numbers listed on the do not call list, I receive at least 1 call daily. Some days 3 or more. My opinion that do not call list is bogus. The numbers provided are sold off being that they are registered as working numbers. And the do not call list people never answer messages or emails so that too leads me to believe that list wasn't created to curb unwanted calls.
It was, it just doesn't work because they just find ways around it and ignore the risk of fines etc. because they're overseas.

If they sold the list I would be getting a much wider range of scam calls instead of 95% student loan forgiveness. I know how I got on the list because they called looking for a Megan H so then I googled her name and voila she had a blog about drowning in student loan debt....and the rest is history.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
I used to do the Hello Hello thing too.

Hmmm maybe I'll answer the next one.
My all-time best was a guy running the "security violations" scam where they try to get you to turn over control of your computer to them then lock you out etc.

I strung them along for 15minutes pretending I was clueless but trying to follow their instructions.

At the end they got frustrated and asked me "Is there anyone there that can help you?"

My response, "Yeah, your mom...she's under my desk, want me to put her on?"

They let loose in broken English with every swear word they knew and I was just laughing and laughing and laughing at them.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My all-time best was a guy running the "security violations" scam where they try to get you to turn over control of your computer to them then lock you out etc.

I strung them along for 15minutes pretending I was clueless but trying to follow their instructions.

At the end they got frustrated and asked me "Is there anyone there that can help you?"

My response, "Yeah, your mom...she's under my desk, want me to put her on?"

They let loose in broken English with every swear word they knew and I was just laughing and laughing and laughing at them.
LOL That would be a good comeback for a female too. Your mother is on her knees under my desk. LOLOL

Old 10-24-2017, 12:38 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,591,467 times
I only get recordings about a free cruis, and someone claiming to be the police soliciting money. I had heard the cops never call to ask for money for charity so I just hang up.

Holidays are approaching so expect an uptick in these calls. If you really want to p1$$ them off say you are donating all your spare money to the Trump-Pence 2020 campaign.

Old 10-24-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I only get recordings about a free cruis, and someone claiming to be the police soliciting money. I had heard the cops never call to ask for money for charity so I just hang up.

Holidays are approaching so expect an uptick in these calls. If you really want to p1$$ them off say you are donating all your spare money to the Trump-Pence 2020 campaign.
You should check to see if Resort Marketing called your number. They called one of my numbers and this class action suit is actually worth registering for. The award is between $300 and $900 depending on how many times they called you.

https://www.rmgtcpasettlement.com/Landing.aspx

Here's the story in my local paper -- not sure if you can see it without registering.
Free cruise robocalls could get you $900 in settlement | Idaho Statesman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events