Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:00 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,217,687 times

Advertisements

I used to get one a week at the very most - now it is several a day. Always accented heavily. Trying to get me say my name. i hang up and look the number up - there are always complaints about scammers from the number. I just think it's odd that there has been a big jump in the number I receive.

The data breech from Equifax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 02:33 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,700,875 times
We get from 3 to 6 per day.

You would think government from Federal, State or City would figure out a way to successfully combat this.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:41 PM

12,850 posts, read 872,926 times
I don't get any and haven't for about 20 years. My number is always unlisted and I signed up with the do-not-call registry. It works.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:46 PM

5,465 posts, read 6,085,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
I don't get any and haven't for about 20 years. My number is always unlisted and I signed up with the do-not-call registry. It works.
You are just lucky!

I signed up for the do-not-call and also renewed it.
I also have an unlisted/unpublished number.

I average a call a day. I simply hang up, eventually they may quit calling. Maybe that's wishful thinking.

I did ask my service provider to block certain numbers that I receive calls from frequently. They refused. I may just drop my land line..... that'll fix 'em!! lol

Old 10-21-2017, 02:57 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,075,313 times
I get calls I don't answer, but few I could say are scam calls.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:00 PM

13,084 posts, read 7,560,264 times
2-3 calls/day for a Deb Hemanez(?) who has some account issues that need to be taken care immediately, for the last 2 +years. We had this # for +15 years and same address for +30 years. Phone script is always the same and the caller ID can be literally from any area code and from any company. We screen calls.

Old 10-21-2017, 03:03 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,858,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post

ROTF they don't check the phone book for listings anymore. They're all random numbers. And the DNC registry does not apply to charities (that's pretty broad), political calls, or calls from businesses with whom you've ever done business.

That said, I block all calls not in my contacts. They get my voice mail and can leave a message (they never do). What I HAVE noticed when I check the "blocked calls" log, is an increasing number of phone numbers with OUR exchange. That's apparently a way to try to fool people with caller ID into thinking someone they know may be calling. What a racket!

Anyway, no one needs to be bothered by these pests with the technology that exists today.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:03 PM

50 posts, read 182,948 times
It seems like ALL the scam calls have picked up since the Equifax fiasco. One was quicken loans. I finally picked it up and told them I hadn't applied and will not apply for a mortgage and stop calling me. It worked..

The others are pretty much all from my area code - I never pick them up.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,916,108 times
Talking .

"hello.......... hello...............{{{ hello hello }}} I can't hear you!"

After answering and finding out it’s a CRAP call, I ask them to hold for a minute while I get my hearing aids adjusted. I then simply lay the phone down and walk away for five minutes. If they are still on the line I’ll ask for another minute ,,, “I can’t hear you” ….. seems to drive the caller nuts.

They never call back.

I'm non listed non published and also on the National Do Not Call list. However "yes" there are other ways that these people get your number and the volume of calls have been on the increase this past year compared to past years.

Old 10-21-2017, 04:26 PM

2,123 posts, read 1,468,719 times
On the no call list and still get them. When I was home from surgery teleworking our phone rang all day. When I get tired of it in the evening, I will crank up the TV, pick up the phone and hold it up to the TV until they hang up. The funniest was when we were watching the History Channel and they had some show on Hitler and were interviewing a man from Germany and he was speaking in German with the teletype running below. The phone rang and I picked it up and held it up to the TV while the man droned on and on in German. That was funny. Usually I don't find these calls very funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events