Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 11:01 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I’ve heard this story before about coffee and it’s been back and forth several times that it wasn’t good for you and then it was. Confused yes, addicted “yes” so I switched to only drinking organic coffee and it is processed without the chemicals (I think). However I can’t give it up. I never drink Starbucks for several other reasons.
What I see today are lines of young people in their teens and maybe younger buying all the coffee products...Starbucks is a big addiction. I think I had my first cup of regular coffee when I was in my early 20's, yes the days of the dinosauer.

I don't know but could be the children in the rest of the world are all raised on their country's coffee...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 11:02 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I know what it is, it's written in the link at the Food Standards Agency link in relation the new EU/UK Legislation coming in to force in April 2018. Did you read the link and then repost the obvious to try to look clever.

Try reading -

As for Diesel, we have new legislation, taxes and a ban on all diesel and petrol cars coming in to force, whilst everything else I have written in relation to differing food and additive standards still remains true and that includes Starbucks which has different additives in the UK and US.

No I don't bother reading posted links - I know exactly where to find the primary scientific sources including peer-reviewed journals and relevant databases like PubMed, ACS etc.

Your British condescension didn't work I'm afraid old chap.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Gosh, I hope this does not refer to coffee ice cream!!

My one vice in life...gone...(sob)!
If you roast your ice cream, maybe...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:19 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
LOL, California is just as odd as it is beautiful. My laundry-bag has a cancer-warning on it.......what, if I eat it????

Old 03-30-2018, 11:26 AM

24,471 posts, read 17,211,031 times
There are all sorts of nasty stuff in our foods that are outright banned in other countries. Why?
The highly processed foods are the worse with their dies, bleaches and preservatives pumped into them.
There are better more healthful ways but it adds a bit of cost to the bottom line and if the manufacturer is not made to improve the quality than why would they?

But then again what doesn't make us sick now a days but you know they probably have a pill to make you at least feel better.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:28 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Not many Americans realise that McDonald, Starbucks, Subway and other US Chains use very different ingredience in the UK and Europe due to the banning of many additives, and there is also much less sugar and salt added in the UK and Europe than in the US meal.

I've just realized this, though in a different manner. A friend of mine recently introduced me to a bunch of European food restaurants and markets, and one of the things that struck me almost immediately was the MUCH lower levels of sugars and salts in the foods. One of the things that I've lamented for many years was the inability to get jellies and jams that weren't either loaded with sugar, or artificial sweeteners. Even when it's labeled "no sugar added", I find it really just means that there's a bunch of artificial sweeteners in it.

Then I picked up a jar of ligonberry jam that was imported from Russia. Well, at least I THINK it was Russia...looked like Russian writing on the jar, though I can neither read nor understand their language

But it was absolutely delicious! It reminded me an awful lot of the jams my Polish Grandma used to make from scratch in the kitchen. It might have had sugar added, but a very small amount of it. Not at all like the thick syrup Smuckers garbage.

I've noticed similar things in the Balkan restaurants I've gone to - much less sugar and salts in the foods, and they too are delicious. I can't even stomach most fast food joints here in the States, and haven't been able to for quite a few years. I'm not even a fan of most sit down restaurants here either. It has nothing to do with any principles against them, it's just that I don't find the food to be all that appetizing. Even in a lot of the "expensive" restaurants, it just seems like the food is overly processed. Not necessarily by additives/chemicals/whatever, but like the chefs just add way too many herbs/spices/whatever to it rather than letting the natural flavors shine through. But now I find myself wanting to do a food tour of southeast Europe and Russia, lol. Then again, I may not want to come back...

Old 03-30-2018, 11:34 AM

11,070 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Hopefully they'll get around to adding warning labels on McCrapple's "food" as well.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
I've just realized this, though in a different manner. A friend of mine recently introduced me to a bunch of European food restaurants and markets, and one of the things that struck me almost immediately was the MUCH lower levels of sugars and salts in the foods. One of the things that I've lamented for many years was the inability to get jellies and jams that weren't either loaded with sugar, or artificial sweeteners. Even when it's labeled "no sugar added", I find it really just means that there's a bunch of artificial sweeteners in it.

Then I picked up a jar of ligonberry jam that was imported from Russia. Well, at least I THINK it was Russia...looked like Russian writing on the jar, though I can neither read nor understand their language

But it was absolutely delicious! It reminded me an awful lot of the jams my Polish Grandma used to make from scratch in the kitchen. It might have had sugar added, but a very small amount of it. Not at all like the thick syrup Smuckers garbage.

I've noticed similar things in the Balkan restaurants I've gone to - much less sugar and salts in the foods, and they too are delicious. I can't even stomach most fast food joints here in the States, and haven't been able to for quite a few years. I'm not even a fan of most sit down restaurants here either. It has nothing to do with any principles against them, it's just that I don't find the food to be all that appetizing. Even in a lot of the "expensive" restaurants, it just seems like the food is overly processed. Not necessarily by additives/chemicals/whatever, but like the chefs just add way too many herbs/spices/whatever to it rather than letting the natural flavors shine through. But now I find myself wanting to do a food tour of southeast Europe and Russia, lol. Then again, I may not want to come back...
We're a highly processed America. We're the most driven by $$$$ as well.

All the Starbuckers are so highly addicted and they stand in those lines to feed their addictions. Sugars too, big time.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:17 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,874,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
What I see today are lines of young people in their teens and maybe younger buying all the coffee products...Starbucks is a big addiction. I think I had my first cup of regular coffee when I was in my early 20's, yes the days of the dinosauer.

I don't know but could be the children in the rest of the world are all raised on their country's coffee...
Many things never change or improve if the public isn’t aware of them. We all have choices after we know about issues.

Old 03-30-2018, 12:34 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
From what I have seen, nearly EVERYTHING has one or more cancer-causing chemicals in it, especially in California.
In fact, even organically grown mushrooms contain a cancer-causing chemical; a natural one!

Does no one remember the flap over diet soda? OH,NO! the artificial sweetener could cause cancer! Right! But, when somebody checked it thoroughly, it turned out that in order to equal the dosage fed to the test rats, one would have to drink more than 24 cans of the stuff per day for several months.

These days, I know very few people who pay any attention at all to the dire warnings on food and drink labels, especially those required by The State of California!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events