Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 07:35 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
They're very creepy, dozens of comment on You Tube with people pretty much saying the same thing.

This isn't how you act when someone is missing, and you don't speak of them in the past tense. This was shortly after she was missing.
Different people react to different situations differently. The family members all seem generally concerned to me. But they are all going back and forth between talking about her in the past tense and then in the current tense. I'm sure their feelings on it are going back and forth, which I think is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 08:58 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
Quote:
They're very creepy, dozens of comment on You Tube with people pretty much saying the same thing.

This isn't how you act when someone is missing, and you don't speak of them in the past tense. This was shortly after she was missing.

I haven't seen that footage, but you're right there is a lack of respect for human life these days.

The two brothers look like the type to me who torture cats for fun. If they're not involved somehow I will be very surprised.

A teen in Yacolt pushed her friend off a 60 foot bridge and left the girl with broken ribs and other injuries. Very lucky she wasn’t killed. I saw the footage where her friend came up behind her and pushed her off without a warning. This friend looks creepy, she is eighteen but looks thirty five and has no remorse over what she did. From her picture, I’m guessing she is a sociopath and druggie.

I was thinking the same thing! These boys are just the type to torture animals and try pretend to everyone how good they are. You can just look at them and pick up their character flaws. They really remind me of the rural boys in Texas where I used to live. Drugs, drinking, several pets were killed around where I lived, some of those boys were nutjobs. Likewise, I’d be very surprised to find out I was wrong about Mollie’s brothers. Not sure what they’re up to, but upstanding citizens they aren’t.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:49 PM

468 posts, read 355,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I'm curious about this myself. As I understand it these are cash donations, not pledges, so I don't know if they're keeping track so they can return it if it's not claimed or if there's been some alternative cause that the funds will go to.

The first thing people need to know is that Crime Stoppers is not a law enforcement program....It is a private non profit corporation and anyone calling in a tip must remain anonymous...If you call and start right off the bat giving your name they have been known to hang up on the person....once you are anonymous and give your tip you will be given a tip number...this number will allow to check status as well as to claim any reward money if your tip leads to an arrest and conviction......while all tips received by Crime Stoppers are given to law enforcement one must be aware that others many also give the same tip so any reward may be split....the board members of Crime Stoppers determine what the reward amount will be...

Also crucial is the reward amount posted....pay attention because it will say something like " A reward UP TO $5,000.00 may be rewarded....the UP TO is very important....there have been some reports that claim the average reward paid out is extremely small ...like under $50.00.....you see a new vehicle advertised UP TO 34 miles per gallon...but after buying it you find out you are only getting 18 m.p.g.. ..If you take it back to the dealer to complain they would tell you the posted 34 m.p.g does say UP TO 34 m.p.g....UP TO means you may only get 2 m.p.g.

In this case the reward money is a bit confusing....I don't watch TV but I thought I had read somewhere earlier in the case that the mother said all the reward money was placed in a bank in that town of Brooklyn and if the person who took her would just bring her back safely the money would be instantly his......than I heard the reward money was through Crime Stoppers and private individuals have added to the usual amount of $5k so does that mean that one who gives a tip that leads to the arrest and conviction of Mollie will get the $300k or whatever it is now ?

Keep in mind law enforcement is also providing phone numbers and asking anyone with any kind of tips to call in to their posted phone numbers as well...

So what happens with Joe Blow ?

Joe Blow calls anonymously ( which is a requirement ) Crime Stoppers and says something like " I was by the local truck stop and saw a dark blue tractor trailer pulling out and I could swear I saw a girl looking like Mollie trashing around inside of the cab....the rigs tag # is 555-55-555....so Crime Stoppers relates the tip info to law enforcement and sure enough they pull that rig over and they discover an alive but handcuffed Mollie on the floorboard...guy gets busted, goes to trial and gets convicted.....Joe Blow now should be entitled to all of the posted reward money.

But let's say Joe Blow Jr. sees the same thing pulling out of the truck stop and all he has seen is the phone number given out by law enforcement so he calls and tells them " Hi this is Joe Blow Jr and etc etc etc...and ends with the same result...driver gets busted, and convicted at trial ........BUT Joe Blow Jr isn't given the reward money because he didn't report his tip anonymously to Crime Stoppers......so you can understand the confusion so I must ask as I do not watch TV and no video except for the last 8-10 minutes of the press conference the other day I watched on YouTube can anyone verify that the posted reward money is through Crime Stoppers or not ?

Always remember if you ever provide a tip to Crime Stoppers never ever give your name...provide your tip anonymously and you will be provided a tip number that will be needed to claim any reward if your tip results in a result and conviction.

A couple of Crime Stoppers reward money claims

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...my_reward.html

Metro Crime Stoppers pays some money out, but not a lot - Capital Gazette

There are more if anyone cares to search...

I feel the Crime Stoppers program has been a good program because tips have resulted in arrests and in many cases convictions but potential tipsters need to know how the program works and the strict requirements in order to actually receive any award money....especially to be aware of the UP TO wording.

A look into the effectiveness of a chapter of Crime Stoppers

Crimetracker Investigation: How effective is Crimestoppers? - FOX 8, WVUE, fox8live.com, weather, app, news, saints

And in this case those individuals who provided cash to up the reward for Mollie should have their money returned to them after such and such time if the case isn't solved.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
I haven't seen that footage, but you're right there is a lack of respect for human life these days.

The two brothers look like the type to me who torture cats for fun. If they're not involved somehow I will be very surprised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
I was thinking the same thing! These boys are just the type to torture animals and try pretend to everyone how good they are. You can just look at them and pick up their character flaws. They really remind me of the rural boys in Texas where I used to live. Drugs, drinking, several pets were killed around where I lived, some of those boys were nutjobs. Likewise, I’d be very surprised to find out I was wrong about Mollie’s brothers. Not sure what they’re up to, but upstanding citizens they aren’t.
What odd things to think about complete strangers.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:37 AM

468 posts, read 355,964 times
Thursday morning August 16, 2018

I am a firm believer the larger amount of reward the more someone who saw or knows something will come forward to help solve this missing person case..

But this morning is just more confusion on the reward and who may receive it

In this mornings New York Daily News a main story :

"Vice President Mike Pence tells family of Mollie Tibbetts: 'You're on the hearts of every American'"

Vice President Mike Pence tells family of Mollie Tibbetts: 'You're on the hearts of every American' - NY Daily News

and in that article it states the following:

Authorities have asked anyone who was in any of those areas when Tibbetts disappeared to leave tips on a website if they remember anything. Anyone with information about her disappearance should contact the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office at (641) 623-5679 or send an email to tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com.
A reward fund has grown to more than $366,000, and a website launched recently to help in the search.
Pence said during his speech in Des Moines that "we will continue to work and we will continue to pay for Mollie's safe return," according to the Register newspaper.
___

Notice there isn't any mention of Crime Stoppers or instructed anyone with a tip they must call their tip into Crime Stoppers anonymously in order to be eligible to collect any reward if your tip results in a arrest and conviction. Instead they provide the Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office and their email for tips.

NOW let us follow the link in that article to the Des Moines Register

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...nt/1000389002/

And there you will see the first mention of Crime Stoppers

"With donations from coast to coast, more than $366,000 has been raised from 226 donors as a reward fund for information leading to the safe return of Tibbetts, a record for the 36-year-old Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa."

and further down the article back to the sheriff's office number and email

authorities are asking anyone with information about Tibbetts to contact the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office at 641-623-5679 or tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com.

and below that is a reference to Crime Stoppers

Tipsters can also contact Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa at CrimeStoppersOfCentralIowa.com or by calling 800-452-1111 or 515-223-1400.

And finally in that Des Moines Register article you can click on the reward amount and that will take you to another page that says the following:

"Mollie Tibbetts reward fund now above $332,000"

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...owa/963569002/

and in that article it states :

The reward fund offered for the safe return of a missing Iowa college student has grown to more than $332,000.

"Crime Stoppers of Central Iowa in a news release Thursday that 210 individual donors have contributed to the fund and that Crime Stoppers has passed on more than 935 tips to authorities investigating the disappearance of 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts"

"Crime Stoppers will ultimately determine whether a tip qualifies as "leading to Mollie Tibbetts' safe return" when granting the reward money, according to the donor agreement.

Authorities ask that anyone with information about Tibbetts contact the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office at 641-623-5679 or tips@poweshiekcosheriff.com.

Tipsters can also go to CrimeStoppersOfCentralIowa.com or call at 800-452-1111 or 515-223-1400 to leave an anonymous tip."

So even Crime Stoppers list the Sheriff department number and email as well as providing their own...and notice once again ......."Crime Stoppers will ultimately determine whether a tip qualifies as "leading to Mollie Tibbetts' safe return" when granting the reward money, according to the donor agreement."

It is all very confusing and if anyone with a tip that they call into the Sheriff's tip line or use their email and provides a tip that leads to solving the case will NOT qualify for the large reward because Crime Stoppers program require you contact them first with your tip before contacting law enforcement...

Its possible a rule has been changed in this specific case but I doubt that...but its possible...

But for anyone reading this and feels they might have a worthy tip for your own sake call Crime Stoppers and give them your tip and be sure to remain anonymous and you will be given a tip ID number that you will need to provide to collect any reward if your tips helps to solve the crime..

These media reports regarding the reward money are very confusing for the general public who has no clue how the Crime Stoppers program operates and their rules and regulations that must be followed to a T..and I do not want to think all the confusion on how to report a tip for the reward is purposely confusing and misleading in order to maybe not having to pay out the posted reward money even if a tip results in solving this missing person case.

I refer you to a link I had posted yesterday
https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...my_reward.html

Once you give your name either to POLICE or to a Crime Stoppers call-taker, you are ineligible.

Last edited by NY 915; 08-16-2018 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-16-2018, 10:00 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
We’re going on our instincts, which is what we use to form opinions about people. I could be wrong about them, but after viewing that interview, I wouldn’t want either one of them in my house.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:16 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
A teen in Yacolt pushed her friend off a 60 foot bridge and left the girl with broken ribs and other injuries. Very lucky she wasn’t killed. I saw the footage where her friend came up behind her and pushed her off without a warning. This friend looks creepy, she is eighteen but looks thirty five and has no remorse over what she did. From her picture, I’m guessing she is a sociopath and druggie.

Thank you, I saw the footage of the girl being pushed and thought what kind of person does that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Nothing odd about it at all, it's called critical thinking.

So to use your logic if you see a small child wandering around a store alone while the mother is lost in her phone texting and being neglectful, you think nothing of it? After all she is stranger.

Quote:
We’re going on our instincts, which is what we use to form opinions about people. I could be wrong about them, but after viewing that interview, I wouldn’t want either one of them in my house.
Exactly, the younger one can't even look in the camera even when he is talking. He was the one who was choking her over the iPhone. There is a history of abuse here, many people have commented(not here) but on other sites about their behavior.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:34 AM

764 posts, read 391,785 times
Quote:
Thank you, I saw the footage of the girl being pushed and thought what kind of person does that.

Nothing odd about it at all, it's called critical thinking.

So to use your logic if you see a small child wandering around a store alone while the mother is lost in her phone texting and being neglectful, you think nothing of it? After all she is stranger.

Exactly, the younger one can't even look in the camera even when he is talking. He was the one who was choking her over the iPhone. There is a history of abuse here, many people have commented(not here) but on other sites about their behavior.
I thought it was the older brother, Jake who choked her.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
You make no sense. You are calling teenage boys, people you've never met and know nothing about, cat killers. What does that have to do with helping a lost child?

Its just disgusting the things people come up with to say. I hope you never have to deal with a horrible tragedy, have your kife thrown in the national spot light, just for people to spread nasty rumors about you.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:48 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,905 times
Here's an article suggesting that FBI agents have said they think she's still alive.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/kidn...030530847.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events