Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 11:38 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yes it can be compared. In the 1960s we could find out about breaking news with in seconds. Mass shooting were streamed live, just like they are today. So there is no difference. For example:

That is just wrong. From 24/7 cable news to social media and the ability to view almost anything live as it happens on your phone the impact of events like live shootings are totally different today. Back in the 60's you would read about it the next day in your local newspaper or see it in a 3 minute segment on the evening national news. Most Americans at that time would be unaware of most mass shootings going on unlike today with few exceptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,774,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Well sometimes they use someone else's name.

I live in LA, I have been told you can go to areas near downtown LA and get a fake ID, fake DL, etc.

When I grew up in L.A. it was on Alvarado Street. They had these "runners" on the street bringing the clients to this ID shops posed as regular businesses. It was done pretty much in the open.

Old 08-22-2018, 11:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,940,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
When I grew up in L.A. it was on Alvarado Street. They had these "runners" on the street bringing the clients to this ID shops posed as regular businesses. It was done pretty much in the open.
When you lived in LA, was EVerify available?

Old 08-22-2018, 12:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Many employers don't -- and don't want to -- use E-Verify. And many, many illegal aliens use stolen identities. People are still so naïve about all this!
Yeah, people know that. The thing is, his employer said they did use e verify and also did a government background check. Maybe he'd get lucky with one of those not being flagged, but both? Nothing has been said about using a fake name, which I feel his employer would have mentioned when saying that he passed the e verify and other background checks. And if he only used a fake name to pass those, then went by his real name after being hired, that's also on the company for knowing something was up.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:25 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:

Yes, that is the area I was talking about. It's been going on for years.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:28 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,192,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yeah, people know that. The thing is, his employer said they did use e verify and also did a government background check. Maybe he'd get lucky with one of those not being flagged, but both? Nothing has been said about using a fake name, which I feel his employer would have mentioned when saying that he passed the e verify and other background checks. And if he only used a fake name to pass those, then went by his real name after being hired, that's also on the company for knowing something was up.

I wouldn't doubt they knew ... but that is just my opinion as an Iowan living nearby. We have a lot of immigrants from Mexico that work here in meat-packing plants, etc., and lots come through the emergency room with work-related injuries. There is a lot of corruption in the political system in Iowa, IMO.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:29 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Been a few days since I was here. I was at the mall yesterday afternoon when someone told me on FB PM. Sorry to hear she was found deceased but I'm not surprised. I knew it was going to happened, especially since the reward was really high yet unclaimed.

Speaking of the reward, I wonder what they'll do with it. Has anyone seen it addressed? I assume some will be released to her family for burial expenses; but will they be able to return any of it?

What's the best link to read to catch up? Gonna read the one I'm quoting.
I don't see any reason the reward money won't be returned to the people offering it. I see no reason to pay it to anyone. Unless maybe they give it to the person who provided the video that broke the case.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:32 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,085,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennaf View Post
I wouldn't doubt they knew ... but that is just my opinion as an Iowan living nearby. We have a lot of immigrants from Mexico that work here in meat-packing plants, etc., and lots come through the emergency room with work-related injuries. There is a lot of corruption in the political system in Iowa, IMO.
You're talking about America. This country's politicians across the board are so corrupt you'd be really naive not to be aware of how pervasive it is.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:33 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,085,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think we'll know soon how his employment process went.

My best guess - they didn't attempt to EVerify him.
I would hope they'd get sued into the red and never to be heard from ever again.

These companies that deliberately hire cheap/illegal labor and therefore deliberately have hostility and hatred towards American citizens should all be destroyed.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:

I think you're right, he was just on the news in court, he doesn't even understand English.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
He wasn't using another name, or that would have already come out in the story.

I think by the end of the business day, we'll know what happened with his "E-verify" problem.

It's probably going to turn out that the employer is lying.

I know someone here in CA, who has been living here for about 20 years. Turns out they were here illegally, they had to go back to Mexico about 2 years ago and get it sorted out. They were gone for over a month. They work a well known retailer and have a management position. I don't know how they did that, but they did. I would love to know, but this is a friend of a friend, and my friend doesn't know and won't ask.

So IDK how they do it. but they do it.

There was a woman awhile back in AZ who was being deported, it made the national news. She had children who were born here. She was using someone else's SS number for a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events