Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,326,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTexas18 View Post
"They should be required to have medical/emt training"

They should be required to be full MD's, and ALSO to have LAW DEGREES!

And YOU can pay for it!
Ouch! Stop yelling.
Why full MD and law degree? Just basic knowledge given to our military would probably be enough.

And cops with a give-a-sh..t grain in their bodies.

For those who have no sympathy for drug addicts, do you feel no sadness if a family member dies of an overdose? Before you speak you should reach out to your extended family. That cute little kid you met a dozen years ago?

This insidious epidemic is affecting all walks in all parts of the country. These are empty, hurting people, many self destructive. They are beloved sons and daughters.

I do think drug use is a choice. But what other choice is there? They don't see it. We've destroyed traditional families and our kids are suffering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 09:48 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Complete and utter lack of empathy for others shown in these posts. The dead person developed addiction after a soccer injury. That probably means she was over prescribed opiods by a doctor,and developed an addiction to them, and when the vicodin and oxycodone became too expensive or too hard to obtain, she switched to heroin because it's cheaper and easier to find. This is a well known progression for many drug addicts these days, and it's not a choice thing. None of them chose to become addicts, they just followed instructions on the prescribed medications and slid down a very slippery slope that is nearly impossible to climb back up.
Yep, and law enforcement is a big part of this problem in the first place!

No one asks how all this dope makes it to its destination so consistently, or why after decades of 'fighting' the drug war law enforcement just cannot seem to get control of this problem.

Ultimately the DEA is the root of the problem, if it wasnt for their collusion with drug cartels, we would not have any of these unconstitutional laws.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb Another victim of the opioid crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
let's not play shoulda/coulda/woulda. It is meaningless. The deceased made the decisions that put her in that spot, not me and not you. And she would have sold YOUR soul in a heartbeat for more heroin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Disclaimer: I'm not saying they were not responsible for her death.

Should have thought about that before she started doing drugs.
From the linked article:

"developed her addiction following a devastating soccer injury in high school, was trying to quit heroin."

By that logic, she should have avoided participating in HS sports.

It's clear that this young woman is one of millions across America who have been prescribed powerful pain relievers that left them with a physical/psychological dependence on opioids. And once the prescription runs out, they turn to illegal drugs.

And yes, that jail was notified of her habit and ignored her pleas for assistance. It was her addiction due to multiple factors. It was the jail's negligence that led to her death.

This isn't a problem of weak individuals.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:39 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Yes she was an addict and was living a poor lifestyle filled with unpaid tickets and driving on a suspended license, however she didn’t deserve to die like this. She needed a medical detox and treatment which should’ve been provided. She went through three days of agony and was ignored . Serial killers in prison right now get better medical care than this woman received, which in her case was zero. It seems the primary officers working her shift were rewarded by early retirement and benefits. That is not a punishment. Everyone involved in her stay at that jail should be charged with manslaughter or at least negligence and should do some time and have a record. Just follow the policy and call for a medical assessment at least, that way you’re covered as well.
I noticed on the video that even after the one officer discovered she was dead he didn’t even react or show any kind of urgency. Then it took eleven hours to remove her body. Looks like that time was used to get their stories straight to cover their a$$es.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:14 PM

274 posts, read 237,755 times
I just can't believe the number of people commenting who think it's okay to let someone suffer horribly and die. Yes, she was a drug addict, but does that give others the right to decree she deserved death? I don't think so. We pay for convicted, sadistic murderers to sit on death row for years upon years to protect their legal rights, but this young woman, who was in jail for TRAFFIC TICKETS got what she deserved???

It's a terrible problem and I have very little sympathy for drug addicts, but I would never go along with forcing someone to suffer needlessly. I also don't believe a doctor over prescribed narcotics when she was injured. For whatever reason, she abused the pain killers and became addicted. I'm tired of doctors getting the blame. But I still can't believe people think it's okay she died a horrible death.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:32 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,986,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I understand much of the general public, law enforcement and health care workers are fed up with dealing with addicts but what happened to this woman seems deplorable and inexcusable in my opinion.

****video isn't horribly graphic, shows her behavior at the time of arrest, her behavior while in the cell, at the end her body is removed but that may be disturbing to some (it is covered).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nevada-...ment-policies/
"She didn't want to be a junkie. You know, she wanted to just be a normal person like you or I," Andreano said.

Well, she was a junkie through her own bad choices, and this is what ultimately landed her in jail and out of reach of her medicines. I feel for her family, they should have been there to help their loved one and her addiction, but putting the blame on the employees of the jail and not on the person who broke laws to get there is pathetic.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
"She didn't want to be a junkie. You know, she wanted to just be a normal person like you or I," Andreano said.

Well, she was a junkie through her own bad choices, and this is what ultimately landed her in jail and out of reach of her medicines. I feel for her family, they should have been there to help their loved one and her addiction, but putting the blame on the employees of the jail and not on the person who broke laws to get there is pathetic.

So, you don't believe that a slow, painful death without medical attention is cruel and unusual punishment for having unpaid traffic tickets & a suspended license? I really don't understand this lack of empathy.

Her drug addiction was treatable, and she requested - begged for - treatment, and was ignored. It's not like she could just walk out of the jail. As an detained individual (not convicted), there was no reason to deny her medical treatment, no matter what the disease/disorder/accident/what have you.

This could happen to you - untreated diabetes, stroke, heart attack - there are lots of examples of people dying or almost dying in custody because guards did not recognize that medical attention was needed, or just plain didn't care. We need to stop dehumanizing people who are jailed.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:43 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
Quote:

What bad choices did she make, once the prescribing doctors managed to get her addicted to opiods(making an assumption that that happened, because it's currently the most common way someone becomes addicted to opiates)? Climb down off that oh so high holier than thou mountain, and see what happens in the real world, where over prescribing of opiods has created an entire generation of addicts that had no intent of trying hard drugs when they started.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:46 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:

That quote follows a paragraph explaining that she got addicted after a soccer injury in high school, obviously implying that she started with legal drugs that were prescribed to her. As someone above pointed out, what was her bad choice? To play school sports? By the time she turned to heroin (generally a bad choice, yes), she was already addicted - from legal pills.

Maybe her family couldn't help her. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. You cannot always force someone into rehab, and even if states allow forced intervention/treatment like that (some do), you cannot force someone to get better and change once in treatment. One of the worst things about the addiction crisis is that it is so hard to help people because they need to be serious enough to want to help themselves. Kind of like mental illness - you can't make people want to get better, want to get or stay on meds. You can't always force hospitalization and even if you can, nothing stops people from stopping all treatment once out. I know someone who is in AA and one thing she always talks about in the context of addiction is someone's true rock bottom. Sometimes they can't even open their minds to help unless they've hit rock bottom, the very bottom. Sometimes what looks like someone's rock bottom, point that may make them finally get help, actually isn't yet.

At least now she won't suffer anymore. Stats for heroin addiction aren't great and there's a high relapse rate. No one can say whether she would have ever gotten clean or whether she would have died in 6 months or a year or two from an OD. But the sad thing is, maybe she could have overcome it and her family will never know now.

Old 09-09-2018, 05:54 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for this woman. Totally self inflicted. You reap what you sow.
The criminal penalty for traffic violations is not death, yet that is what the police failing to do what they are legally required to do (provide medical care) imposed on her. The criminal penalty for being a drug addict is as well not death, yet knowing she was an addict they allowed her to die an agonizing death. The police involved should be facing manslaughter charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events