Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I don't have the time to read through the almost 100 posts for what was handled as a local incident, has there been a call to boycott DD yet?
. I don’t think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 05:23 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
. I don’t think so.
Why would there be a boycott? The offenders were fired. DD took a stance against assault and cruel behavior.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:33 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Yes, it meets the definition of that under criminal statutes.

Had he even been asked to leave?

Why not wake the guy up with your hands?

Why not call the police?

They had alternatives.

No, its much easier (and more fun) to dump water on him.
Yes. They wanted to humiliate him. I feel really bad for him. This is just sad.

I agree that it probably isn't great for business that a homeless person hangs out in your store all day and falls asleep in there, but there are other ways to handle it that aren't so cruel. At the least these employees who did this are immature and lack compassion, and they absolutely deserve to be fired and maybe fined. Some community service volunteering in a homeless shelter would also be a nice punishment imo.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priscillavanilla View Post
homeless people are more likely to be victims of crime, than to be criminals.
this. ^^^.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Yes. They wanted to humiliate him. I feel really bad for him. This is just sad.

I agree that it probably isn't great for business that a homeless person hangs out in your store all day and falls asleep in there, but there are other ways to handle it that aren't so cruel. At the least these employees who did this are immature and lack compassion, and they absolutely deserve to be fired and maybe fined. Some community service volunteering in a homeless shelter would also be a nice punishment imo.
Exactly. Humiliation and degradation is part of what they thrive on. When a person is down, kick him. Mock him. Make fun of the mentally ill and the physically challenged.

Throwing water on a person is an attempt to degrade and legally it qualifies for assault. Finding it funny, reminds me of horrible pictures of lynchings, with smiling men, proud of what they've done, or Nazis laughing at people as they are tortured.

First they dehumanize. Then they destroy.

Last edited by sheena12; 10-04-2018 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-04-2018, 05:47 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Why would there be a boycott? The offenders were fired. DD took a stance against assault and cruel behavior.
There shouldn’t be a boycott. I was responding to another posters question.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Exactly. Humiliation and degradation is part of what they thrive on. When a person is down, kick him. Mack him. Make fun of the mentally ill and the physically challenged.

Throwing water on a person is an attempt to degrade and legally it qualifies for assault. Finding it funny, reminds me of horrible pictures of lynchings, with smiling men, proud of what they've done, or Nazis laughing at people as they are tortured.
That's why it sickens me to read posts from people who say they think it's "funny". This man has brain damage (from birth) and schizophrenia. If he weren't a homeless person sitting there, would they still think it was funny? Homeless people are often targets for crimes such as this.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's why it sickens me to read posts from people who say they think it's "funny". This man has brain damage (from birth) and schizophrenia. If he weren't a homeless person sitting there, would they still think it was funny? Homeless people are often targets for crimes such as this.

Being sickened by things like this is evidence of kindness and values. Thinking in any way that this action was justified, points to the lack of those traits.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:00 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
He sure wouldn't.

"And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."

You call the police. Nothing more.

I guess you wouldn't have a problem with me dumping water over the heads of your kids running around and disturbing everyone in public, then.

You don't think it's assault? Why don't I walk up to you and toss a pitcher full of water in your face and see if you still think it's not assault. Let me make this very clear: if you dumped a pitcher of water on me for any reason, it would definitely be assault and I'd make damn good and sure you were arrested and prosecuted.

If my kids go ripping across your yard and start hanging out there, you tell them to leave, and they don't...screw the pitcher...go get the hose and give em a good soaking. I guarantee they'll remember not to play in your yard again. My kids aren't made of sugar. They're not going to melt. You were teaching them they need to respect people's property. I'd probably thank you and get a good chuckle to boot out of it.

On the other hand, if you bear false witness against me or one of my kids and get them charged with assault...and they didn't assault you...they just got you wet. I admit I'd be upset. I'd have to determine what is the more ethical way to proceed. If I were to forgive and forget, you might do it to someone else. If I endeavored to make your statement true, you might come to understand the difference.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
If my kids go ripping across your yard and start hanging out there, you tell them to leave, and they don't...screw the pitcher...go get the hose and give em a good soaking. I guarantee they'll remember not to play in your yard again. My kids aren't made of sugar. They're not going to melt. You were teaching them they need to respect people's property. I'd probably thank you and get a good chuckle to boot out of it. .
No, if kids are hanging out constantly in my yard I would call the parents and say come pick them up. If that doesn't work, then I'd call CPS or police. There are avenues to take that don't involve assaulting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events