Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 05:39 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times

Advertisements

She shouldn't have been put in the situation to begin with, Docendo. The ***** was brought out in her. This couple knew they were in the wrong, look at their faces as she rants on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
The lady in the middle never used the “b” word. The lauded nurse called the blonde woman that name, twice.
Thats what I also said, right?? The window seat passenger??

I thought she was rude to call the b word and say kiss my fat thing etc...And also recording was also not decent.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
She shouldn't have been put in the situation to begin with, Docendo. The ***** was brought out in her. This couple knew they were in the wrong, look at their faces as she rants on the phone.
If this couple was a married couple who didn't want to sit together, that speaks volumes in itself. They might have sat apart, hoping that no one else took that middle seat. And knowing that both of them are so big they can't sit together. This is an admission that they know their size is a problem.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:58 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
So this trash bag should have flagged down a flight attendant to voice her complaint, instead of calling her boyfriend or husband (who I pity) to have a catty, pretend private conversation about how unhappy she is with the situation. That move was meant solely to provoke a confrontation...not to resolve a goddamn thing, despite how uncomfortable she was.

When another passenger taps her on the shoulder to alert her about an empty seat elsewhere, she ignores him, and continues lecturing about salads. Again...her way of dealing with her discomfort was to provoke and humiliate to get revenge. Not to get an actual, civilized resolution.

If she had called United customer service to complain loudly on the phone, that would have been one thing. Even reasonable. But she called her "babe" to cause manufactured drama. You cause drama, expect to get drama back in return. If you imply someone is too fat, slutty, loud, smelly, or that they can't keep their stupid kids under control, on a plane, expect, at a minimum, to be called a *****.

ETA: Also, if you have a double chin, maybe don't lecture strangers about being fat. Glass houses and all.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:04 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
I once flew from Huntsville to Washington-National, a flight that takes about an hour and a half. It was a pretty small commuter jet (I can't remember exactly what kind, but it was a 2x2 seating configuration and max capacity was about 50). There was no business class or first class, and even if there was, working for the government we would be sitting in economy.

I got on, and had a window seat. I was beginning to think that I might have the place to myself, when on walks a guy who must've weighed 500 lbs. And of course, he sat by (or shall I say, on top of) me. He immediately raised the armrest between the seats because he would not fit otherwise, and he flowed over and took up at least half my seat. It was a small diameter plane, so when I was in the only position I could possible be in, my head was cocked to about a 30 degree angle to the right beause of the fuselage curvature, and my left shoulder was crushed into the window. I couldn't even get to my briefcase to do work on the flight.

Not a word was said by me, the big guy, or the flight attendants. I don't know if there were other seats available or not because I couldn't see a damn thing. So I suffered through the flight, and had a crick in my neck for a week afterward.

Bottom line ... that should not have been allowed. Oversized people should be required to buy two seats, regardless if they're that way because of their own voluntary overeating, some medical condition, or whatever the reason. Passengers should never be put into impossible situations ... never.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:06 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Maybe the airlines should charge by the pound, or put a surcharge on for each pound over a certain weight. That could include all the extra crap they bring on board.

This whole topic demonstrates why I dont fly.
You don't fly because of fat people?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:15 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
This doesn't have to involve blaming, or shaming, or the causes of obesity.

The airline should insure that each passenger has access to their full seat, and go from there.

As if someone had boarded and sat in your assigned seat without paying.

You don't blame and try to figure out the cause - you make changes to insure that each passenger has their full seat.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:20 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Look, first-worlders are fat now. That's just how it is. The average person is hefty. They're also taller and just generally bigger than they used to be, even besides being overweight. Airlines can either fight that, continue to garner bad PR, or they can acknowledge reality and re-arrange seating a bit. Maybe add a section of seating that's four- or five-across rather than six-across, no other extra amenities, and charge a proportionate extra percent for that extra space. People balk at paying for an entire extra seat not only due to the cost, but because it's an embarrassing hassle to arrange it. If they could just book a wider seat at a fair rate the same way you book any other seat, I'm pretty sure most large people would do so, and many other people who just want a little personal space would probably take advantage of it, too.

It's not foolproof - the section could fill up, for example - but it'd reduce the problem quite a lot.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:35 PM

12,977 posts, read 9,501,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This doesn't have to involve blaming, or shaming, or the causes of obesity.

The airline should insure that each passenger has access to their full seat, and go from there.

As if someone had boarded and sat in your assigned seat without paying.

You don't blame and try to figure out the cause - you make changes to insure that each passenger has their full seat.
Clara, it's even worse when they sit in your seat ... and you're already sitting in it.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:44 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
"ETA: Also, if you have a double chin, maybe don't lecture strangers about being fat. Glass houses and all."

Her double chin had no bearing on those sitting next to her, who were each 2.5x wider than her. Wtf is wrong with you? such an irrelevent thing to point out, and for no reason other than to insult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events