Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2019, 08:04 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
And yet the majority of the population remains height/weight proprtionate.
Not in the US.

Quote:
More than 2 in 3 adults (70.2 percent) were considered to be overweight or have obesity
https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...weight-obesity

When a problem is so prevalent, I think it's reasonable to think that the causes go beyond individual weakness or whatever, and that big picture solutions may be called for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 08:30 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,772,817 times
Considering that the GUM-SMACKING of one of those creatures, is still ringing in my ears (and I hit 'mute' for most of the video, to block it out), I can see why she was being as blunt as she was. I would have totally lost it.

However, being a New Yorker, 'The Blonde' delivered those much-deserved insults ever-so-coolly - totally unflappable. This is why I love New Yorkers. They can say the most unthinkable things, in the most offhand way.

I missed most of the conversation, because of all the saliva noises coming from one of the pigs. So, if anyone wants to post a transcript, I'd love to know exactly what was said (minus the smacking).

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Not in the US.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...weight-obesity

When a problem is so prevalent, I think it's reasonable to think that the causes go beyond individual weakness or whatever, and that big picture solutions may be called for.
Stop confusing overweight with obesity. Overweight isn't the problem, obesity and morbid obesity is. The majority of the US pop is not obese ffs.
https://stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Maybe the airlines should charge by the pound, or put a surcharge on for each pound over a certain weight. That could include all the extra crap they bring on board.
This whole topic demonstrates why I dont fly.
Augie nailed it here. Airline pricing should be based on a pound per mile basis, including luggage, all declared at the time of ticket purchase, and confirmed by a scale at baggage check-in (the readout would not be visible to others), with a "right to refuse service" for those too emotionally damaged to fly without their emotional support llama, are inebriated, stinky enough for a boarding agent to notice, or have past history of nutcase behavior. Phones need to be shut off and put into carryon's before boarding. Seats need to be of varied sizes, if you're paying a surcharge, you deserve more room. No booze on board or in airport lounges, flying is stressful, and booze makes stressful situations worse.

My BIL commented years ago (when smoking was allowed on flights): "Airlines are brilliant. They crowd people into pressurized tubes at six miles up and 500 mph, and then what they do? Give them matches and whiskey". He was prophetic.

So again, this is ALL on the airlines, they are the ones providing the service. Will outliers crop up? Absolutely. But a whole lot of problems would be eliminated at the get-go by the above. Now, which providers will have the cojones to try this first? Any problems with this?

Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Augie nailed it here. Airline pricing should be based on a pound per mile basis, including luggage, all declared at the time of ticket purchase, and confirmed by a scale at baggage check-in (the readout would not be visible to others), with a "right to refuse service" for those too emotionally damaged to fly without their emotional support llama, are inebriated, stinky enough for a boarding agent to notice, or have past history of nutcase behavior. Phones need to be shut off and put into carryon's before boarding. Seats need to be of varied sizes, if you're paying a surcharge, you deserve more room. No booze on board or in airport lounges, flying is stressful, and booze makes stressful situations worse.

My BIL commented years ago (when smoking was allowed on flights): "Airlines are brilliant. They crowd people into pressurized tubes at six miles up and 500 mph, and then what they do? Give them matches and whiskey". He was prophetic.

So again, this is ALL on the airlines, they are the ones providing the service. Will outliers crop up? Absolutely. But a whole lot of problems would be eliminated at the get-go by the above. Now, which providers will have the cojones to try this first? Any problems with this?
This model doesn't work, airlines book flights in advance and online. Airplanes have limits, unlike shipping postage. They would be relying on the truthfulness of ticket purchasers, and that their weight would remain the same between ticket purchase and date of departure.

Last edited by duke944; 01-30-2019 at 08:48 PM..

Old 01-30-2019, 08:59 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
How about the other way around? If you can't fit in a standard seat, move to First Class. You being overly fat is the cause for the inconvenience.
At the very least, don't be an ass and buy the window seat and the aisle seat, leaving the middle vacant. That's just being rude and selfish.
See, there you go again with a right not to be inconvenienced, or a right not to be uncomfortable. That entitlement attitude has you thinking you should get more than the contract for carriage specified that you entered into with the airline. I agree that the big folks pulled a jerk move. But I don’t feel bad for that lady either.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:01 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Yeah the nurse is a real sweetheart too.
Attached Thumbnails
United Passenger Carps About Being Seated Between "Two Big Pigs"-capture.jpg  

Old 01-30-2019, 09:14 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,431,964 times
https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/pas...ndant-insider/

Scroll down and you’ll see the actual rules per airline. They do require the purchase of a second seat in many cases.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:32 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/pas...ndant-insider/

Scroll down and you’ll see the actual rules per airline. They do require the purchase of a second seat in many cases.

United Airlines: United has a strict policy for overweight passengers: if they can’t comfortably fit in one seat, they will be required buy another seat for each leg of their trip. If passengers don’t buy an extra seat ahead of time, they may be required to purchase an extra seat on the day of departure at the rate that’s set for that seat on the same day.

Clearly United did not follow their own policy here.

Old 01-30-2019, 09:36 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

United Airlines: United has a strict policy for overweight passengers: if they can’t comfortably fit in one seat, they will be required buy another seat for each leg of their trip. If passengers don’t buy an extra seat ahead of time, they may be required to purchase an extra seat on the day of departure at the rate that’s set for that seat on the same day.

Clearly United did not follow their own policy here.
Yes. CLEARLY they did not. BOTH of these people should have been required to purchase another seat, at a glance from the gate attendant. Good that they were to be sharing a middle seat - that's all they'd have to purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events