Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 11:09 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,014,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Closing time....you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

Except there is no closing time in Las Vegas.

It literally is a 24/7 city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 11:54 AM

2,114 posts, read 2,344,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
This is happening in my city too.

My view is that they're not criminalizing being poor, they're criminalizing not taking advantage of shelter when it's available.
That's the problem. Shelter isn't available. It was on the local news that there are enough shelter beds for about ten percent of the homeless on the streets here. The mayor has said that it makes the city "safer". I fail to see how.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:24 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,128,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
They can send them to Portland on a $39 flight.
Plenty of space on freeway frontage / traffic circles / city parks.
No hassles from police.
No air conditioning required. / lots of friends and dogs to associate with.
Can share RVs parked at city parks or try to get a spot at Dignity Village (homeless compound / self managed, so they are pretty picky about which homeless can stay there). https://dignityvillage.org/

Be careful about sending them to San Antonio. They have a "back-to-W-O-R-K " program.

But you are safe in Portland.

Seattle is a coffee city, so the homeless are caffeinated and violent (will rob you).
Portland is a beer city, mellow behaviors. Lots of bridges to live under when raining. River View, no property taxes!
Haha, that's a great post Stealth! Very true.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:35 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Overall it's an American crime that so MANY homeless are sleeping on the streets in this Land of Plenty. Plenty of What? For starters Plenty of Greed on the parts of those with SO MUCH.

So what is L.V. going to do, put all the street sleepers in jail, that will give them a bed. Or fine them and get "all their money"....

And yet we spend billions on war machines...ooops..another sore topic. And yet thousands sleeping on the streets used those war machines around the world. Lived to come home to THIS.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 11-08-2019 at 12:46 PM..

Old 11-08-2019, 12:46 PM

15,418 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Criminalizing being poor isn't gonna help.

I wonder how long they'll be able to hide the news stories when the jails get filled with more poor people than actual criminals.

Whoever voted for this is stupid beyond belief. This is a clear example of sweeping a problem under the rug instead of actually helping to alleviate it.
You would think that would be obvious, wouldn't you? I agree this has absolut zero chance of success. Unfortunately this seems to be the new trend across the country. These plans to "clean" up the streets. They are going to just sweep the homeless people out with the trash, and they will be gone. This is just a sign that we have given up trying to solved the homeless problem.

Part of the problem I think is that most people today are too young to remember a time when this country didn't have a homeless problem. So they think homelessness is a normal thing. When I visited San Francisco for the first time in 1978, I remember how amazingly clean the streets were. I saw no trash anywhere. I could count the number of vagrants I saw on one hand. Maybe 2, 3, 4 all day long while walking around the streets. All of them were men. One incident I remember, seeing a guy sitting on a sidewalk on Market Street yelling at people and rambling incoherently. With in two minutes a San Francisco police car pulled up and two cops got out. They asked the guy one question. Do you need to go to detox or to the hospital? The hospital I believe ment mental health. Either way a van was going to show up and take him to get help. The next time I was there five years later, the city had changed a lot. It looked pretty much like it does to day. Too many homeless people to even count.

I don't see any possible way of solving the homeless problem without 1. Rebuilding the metal health system, and 2. Building enough affordable housing units to house all of the people who are now homeless. And I mean real homes, not homeless shelters.

Old 11-08-2019, 12:57 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Wtf. Isn’t Vegas surrounded by a f’ing desert. Put up a bunch of army style barrack tents. Build some Quonset huts, group showers etc. as a temporary shelter. Families, then men’s and women’s camps.
The biggest issue....lots of the homeless won’t want to live under rules of no drugs, no fighting no drinking. Those people can stay out. Take the ones who are willing to live under some rules.

The problem with homelessness is....... it’s a expensive fix

And nobody really wants to pay for it. Well at least nobody who has money.

There is too much money to be made in a crisis to end it. Lots of taxes being collected and laws changed in the name of stopping homelessness.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
They can send them to Portland on a $39 flight.
Plenty of space on freeway frontage / traffic circles / city parks.
No hassles from police.

No air conditioning required. / lots of friends and dogs to associate with.
Can share RVs parked at city parks or try to get a spot at Dignity Village (homeless compound / self managed, so they are pretty picky about which homeless can stay there). https://dignityvillage.org/

Be careful about sending them to San Antonio. They have a "back-to-W-O-R-K " program.

But you are safe in Portland.

Seattle is a coffee city, so the homeless are caffeinated and violent (will rob you).
Portland is a beer city, mellow behaviors. Lots of bridges to live under when raining. River View, no property taxes!
Yeah, and then Portland can't spend $39 to ship them back to Vegas. It sounds like you must own a lot of airline stocks. LOL.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
That's the problem. Shelter isn't available. It was on the local news that there are enough shelter beds for about ten percent of the homeless on the streets here. The mayor has said that it makes the city "safer". I fail to see how.
The mayor doesn't give a crap about the homeless, or about making the city safer. He just wants to push them out of the tourist areas and into hiding, so they aren't so visible.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:10 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
They are homeless not because of the lack of jobs, but because they either choose to be, have addiction issues, or are mentally ill.

Old 11-08-2019, 01:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Utah tried a "housing first" approach with mixed results, so I'm not sure that just giving them a place to live is the answer either.

I used to care. Not so much anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events