Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 10:35 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Closing time....you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

And, since it's a crime, maybe they can be arrested and housed in prison. If they're nuts or addicts, maybe they can get treatment. Not a great option, but is overlooking them baking on the sidewalk really a better one? It may mean we have to start rehabilitating people though instead of punishing them.
Is rehabilitation still a THING?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 10:36 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Wtf. Isn’t Vegas surrounded by a f’ing desert.
Kinda. Well, it used to be. The homeless are camping out near the old 'downtown' , I would imagine (been a while since I've live there), and now that is 15-20 miles from the 'desert'.

I visited that hell-hole a few years ago, and there were tract homes and strip-malls in what was considered 'out in the boonie' back in the day. I remember the days of drag-racing motorcycles out the the Rebel parking lot on Charleston and, What? Jones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
Las Vegas is attempting to not be Los Angeles, San Francisco, or San Diego. Los Angeles has had typhus cases due to unsanitary conditions from homeless encampments.

I applaud Las Vegas for not imitating California.
The irony! It burns!

Old 11-09-2019, 01:26 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
At first glance, this strikes me as a victimless crime. The ACLU got the Supreme Court strike down vagrancy 48 years ago, and ever since, the police have been desperately trying to find alternate ways to merrily kick people when they're down.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:40 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
At first glance, this strikes me as a victimless crime. The ACLU got the Supreme Court strike down vagrancy 48 years ago, and ever since, the police have been desperately trying to find alternate ways to merrily kick people when they're down.
More recently the federal courts have overturned LA's ban on people sleeping in cars. This law is almost certainly as unconstitutional. But they won't let that little thing called the "constitution" keep them from continuing to kick people when they are down. This country is becoming a very sad place.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:50 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Criminalizing being poor isn't gonna help.

I wonder how long they'll be able to hide the news stories when the jails get filled with more poor people than actual criminals.

Whoever voted for this is stupid beyond belief. This is a clear example of sweeping a problem under the rug instead of actually helping to alleviate it.
They found some land to relocate them, so they will no longer defile the sidewalks and neighborhoods.

Being a bum, hobo or vagrant doesn't give them a right to move in to our towns and cities.

Maybe this tough-rejection will be a wake-up call to the Democrat-led movement that condones this filthy situation.

Old 11-09-2019, 04:52 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
More recently the federal courts have overturned LA's ban on people sleeping in cars. This law is almost certainly as unconstitutional. But they won't let that little thing called the "constitution" keep them from continuing to kick people when they are down. This country is becoming a very sad place.
Vagrancy isn't a lifestyle or a right.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:02 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Gee, if you like the idea of giving the homeless a free home, please sign me up. Since I no longer have a home, and currently staying with a kind hearted friend, I'll be eligible.

Something small, but with a pool, please.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:03 AM

6,798 posts, read 4,243,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Forcing someone who sleeps in the street to find an alternative arrangement isnt kicking them, its helping them. The cluelessness of people who claim to have pity for those people and yet think that enabling their path of self destruction is somehow an act of kindness never ceases to amaze me.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:27 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Criminalizing being poor isn't gonna help.

I wonder how long they'll be able to hide the news stories when the jails get filled with more poor people than actual criminals.

Whoever voted for this is stupid beyond belief. This is a clear example of sweeping a problem under the rug instead of actually helping to alleviate it.
They are not criminalized for being poor. They are criminalized for loitering. Their are thousands of square miles surrounding Las Vegas where they can set up camp.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:44 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Vagrancy isn't a lifestyle or a right.
What planet do you live on? A full citizen of the USA certainly has every right to be a vagrant. A vagrant lifestyle isn't unconstitutional.

Some of the problem is poverty. Albeit a small portion. Either the rents need to be controlled or wages must come up or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events