Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 05:29 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You have clearly never have had to deal with this, have not seen how bad it can get. This gives the police the ability to DO SOMETHING to force them into shelters and off the streets, not jail them. This is not just sleeping on the streets with a few belongings. In San Diego and Las Vegas, there are places that you cannot use the sidewalks for blocks because they set up tents and tarps, blocking the entire sidewalk.
I live in Los Angeles County. I see it all the time in down town Los Angeles and even in some of the smaller cities in the county.
I also see how astronomically high rents are around the county versus how low wages are.

Maybe I see it through a compassionate lens. Lets take the drug addicts out of it. Even those who manage to hold down jobs can barely afford to rent a 1 bedroom apartment anywhere in the county.
Now that the stooge Governor signed the rent control law it'll get even worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 08:35 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
That's the problem. Shelter isn't available. It was on the local news that there are enough shelter beds for about ten percent of the homeless on the streets here. The mayor has said that it makes the city "safer". I fail to see how.
Bingo. Everyone that commented before you has no clue how many beds actually exist. Checking into a shelter isn't what everyone seems to think it is.

And something tells me they wouldn't want to help pass ordinances and tax hikes to increase the size or capacity of shelters, either.

Prisons? Sure! More funding, more funding! Shelters? Crickets.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:45 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
I live in Los Angeles County. I see it all the time in down town Los Angeles and even in some of the smaller cities in the county.
I also see how astronomically high rents are around the county versus how low wages are.

Maybe I see it through a compassionate lens. Lets take the drug addicts out of it. Even those who manage to hold down jobs can barely afford to rent a 1 bedroom apartment anywhere in the county.
Now that the stooge Governor signed the rent control law it'll get even worse.
This is NOT about rents - it is about getting them off the streets and into shelters. It give the police tools to get them off the street. It is much more compassionate for both the homeless and local residents to get them assistance rather than let them impact everyone by blocking sidewalks.

What do you not get, would you like them on the sidewalk in front of your house with no way to get them to move?

Old 11-10-2019, 12:40 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
What’s cruel and discriminatory is ignoring them when they’re sleeping on the sidewalk. Only the worst people would want to see someone living like that.

I watched a YouTube video, where they had a program back east to help get the homeless off drugs. Some of these guys were so grateful to be back on their feet, they almost cried.
It’s not about ignoring or wanting anyone to live like that. Out here tent areas are taking over entire parks and storefronts and business sidewalks sometimes for miles. Unfortunately only a small number really want help and are willing to seek it out or accept if offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You have clearly never have had to deal with this, have not seen how bad it can get. This gives the police the ability to DO SOMETHING to force them into shelters and off the streets, not jail them. This is not just sleeping on the streets with a few belongings. In San Diego and Las Vegas, there are places that you cannot use the sidewalks for blocks because they set up tents and tarps, blocking the entire sidewalk.
Yes , and that’s what I meant about out here in my earlier post. Anything that would require any effort by the homeless to even accept help is deemed cruel and discriminatory. They have more lawyers and advocates than anyone. What are businesses and other citizens supposed to do then when the majority of homeless refuse help or simply don’t want to go into a program or a shelter and they want to stay where they are. I doubt if this latest solution for lack of a better word will last long before it’s nixed by legal means. Then back to the drawing board.

Old 11-10-2019, 12:41 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
More recently the federal courts have overturned LA's ban on people sleeping in cars. This law is almost certainly as unconstitutional. But they won't let that little thing called the "constitution" keep them from continuing to kick people when they are down. This country is becoming a very sad place.
Wow. I know someone who had to choose between rent and car payment to stay in school. An apartment will not get one to work or school. I can't imagine the law forbidding him sleeping in his car!

Old 11-10-2019, 01:37 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Wow. I know someone who had to choose between rent and car payment to stay in school. An apartment will not get one to work or school. I can't imagine the law forbidding him sleeping in his car!
Plenty of students manage without a car just fine.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:19 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,559,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Plenty of students manage without a car just fine.
I'm sure the location of their school and job were different. He would have found job and school and apartment close together to walk if he could have.

Old 11-10-2019, 02:50 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,959,249 times
Out of sight, out of mind. I suppose it’s a good solution for all.... except the homeless, but hey it’s not about them, it’s a bout you. Rock on Las Vegas!

Old 11-10-2019, 06:05 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Out of sight, out of mind. I suppose it’s a good solution for all.... except the homeless, but hey it’s not about them, it’s a bout you. Rock on Las Vegas!
It is good for the homeless also - I guess you don't want people to get help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events