Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 01:24 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

In an attempt to get homeless people off city streets, the Las Vegas City Council has passed an ordinance that makes it a crime to camp or sleep on a city sidewalk.

Supporters of the ordinance, which passed 5-2 on Wednesday, say it's an attempt to push the more than 6,500 homeless people and families in southern Nevada into homeless shelters while also protecting the health and safety of the community.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/07/us/la...ing/index.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2019, 02:35 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,617 times
Criminalizing being poor isn't gonna help.

I wonder how long they'll be able to hide the news stories when the jails get filled with more poor people than actual criminals.

Whoever voted for this is stupid beyond belief. This is a clear example of sweeping a problem under the rug instead of actually helping to alleviate it.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:00 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Something has to be done about homeless people.6,500 people sleeping on streets? That's crazy

Sidewalks are not for living on. What about all the people who actually want to walk on sidewalks? Do they have no rights?

If I want to camp somewhere I am charged money. It's called a campground.

Whoever these people are, where are social services who should be helping them? Somebody needs to get to the root of the problem. Is it drugs? Mental illness? Poverty? DO something! People shouldn't be taking over the sidewalks for the purpose of sleeping.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:28 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Closing time....you don't have to go home, but you can't stay here.

And, since it's a crime, maybe they can be arrested and housed in prison. If they're nuts or addicts, maybe they can get treatment. Not a great option, but is overlooking them baking on the sidewalk really a better one? It may mean we have to start rehabilitating people though instead of punishing them.

Old 11-08-2019, 04:02 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Criminalizing being poor isn't gonna help.

I wonder how long they'll be able to hide the news stories when the jails get filled with more poor people than actual criminals.

Whoever voted for this is stupid beyond belief. This is a clear example of sweeping a problem under the rug instead of actually helping to alleviate it.
I agree - let's send them all over to your place.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:29 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,158,170 times
This is happening in my city too.

My view is that they're not criminalizing being poor, they're criminalizing not taking advantage of shelter when it's available. Cities aren't wanting to ticket or arrest if the shelters are full and there's nowhere else for these people to go.

The shelters do offer other services besides a bed at night, and the only way to get people to take advantage of those services is to get them into the shelter.

Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
"...I was just checking the inside of my eyelids"

Old 11-08-2019, 07:44 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
This is happening in my city too.

My view is that they're not criminalizing being poor, they're criminalizing not taking advantage of shelter when it's available. Cities aren't wanting to ticket or arrest if the shelters are full and there's nowhere else for these people to go.

The shelters do offer other services besides a bed at night, and the only way to get people to take advantage of those services is to get them into the shelter.

Quote:
The city council said Las Vegas has committed $16 million to the Courtyard Homeless Resource Center, which provides housing and a range of other services to address chronic homelessness.
Having said that, $16 million may not be enough.

Quote:
Las Vegas is one of a number of cities across the country with a significant number of homeless people because of a combination of expensive rent, job loss, addiction and lack of mental health services.
Let's try for 25-30 years outsourcing to other countries jobs that challenged people could do right here and import opiates and other devastating substances from countries where those jobs went, see how that combination works out on US soil.

On the other hand, mental illness is an even deeper challenge, and I'm not sure if any amount of money would alleviate that problem; it would take, instead, an army of sincere warm-hearted but also professionally trained people, in addition to paying them and for infrastructure.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:33 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
In an attempt to get homeless people off city streets, the Las Vegas City Council has passed an ordinance that makes it a crime to camp or sleep on a city sidewalk.

Supporters of the ordinance, which passed 5-2 on Wednesday, say it's an attempt to push the more than 6,500 homeless people and families in southern Nevada into homeless shelters while also protecting the health and safety of the community.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/07/us/la...ing/index.html
Good, Las Vegas has a huge tourist industry of people with jobs, who spend a lot of money while they are there. Tourism also provides employment to many of the people who live there. San Francisco doesn’t have the sense to recognize the homeless are keeping tourists and money out of their city. What tourist wants to step around piles of poop?

Instead of shuffling them around, it would be nice to see intervention. A lot of homeless could be off the drugs and working if they had some help. Ignoring them will never solve this problem.

Old 11-08-2019, 09:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
They can send them to Portland on a $39 flight.
Plenty of space on freeway frontage / traffic circles / city parks.
No hassles from police.
No air conditioning required. / lots of friends and dogs to associate with.
Can share RVs parked at city parks or try to get a spot at Dignity Village (homeless compound / self managed, so they are pretty picky about which homeless can stay there). https://dignityvillage.org/

Be careful about sending them to San Antonio. They have a "back-to-W-O-R-K " program.

But you are safe in Portland.

Seattle is a coffee city, so the homeless are caffeinated and violent (will rob you).
Portland is a beer city, mellow behaviors. Lots of bridges to live under when raining. River View, no property taxes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events