Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2020, 01:11 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
False negatives are more of an issue in tests for the virus itself, not in antibody tests, correct ?
Not quite. There can be a window of time in which a person is recovering from infection and has started to produce antibodies, but hasn't yet produced a high enough titer of antibody to be detectable on the test. (The RNA viral tests have the same problem in reverse: very early in the infection process, a person may not be shedding enough virus to test positive, even though they are infected.)

The bigger problem with the antibody tests is false positives, though. The specificity of a test is fixed, but the positive predictive value of a test (which tells you how likely it is that a positive result is a real positive rather than a false positive) depends on the percentage of the population who has what you are testing for. If that percentage is too low, false positives can outnumber true positives, which makes the test pretty useless (especially for individual diagnosis). For most of the antibody tests, you want a percentage of infections in the double digits before you can be fairly certain a positive result is actually a true positive. The data coming out of NYC ought to be reliable (especially if the researchers used the newer tests, which have a much better specificity than the earlier ones).

Given that at least 60-70% of people need to be infected in order to achieve herd immunity, though, I wouldn't call a result indicating that only 14% of the population in the single hardest-hit city in the US indicates the virus has spread widely. Rather the opposite! Far more of us have NOT yet become infected by the virus than have.

Edited to add: If you want a more detailed explanation of exactly how the specificity of a test affects positive predictive value, see my post here. Warning, it's long. The explanation starts in paragraph 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip123 View Post
My girlfriend likely had Covid. No test that I am aware of but many symptoms and her doctor did a CT scan of her lungs which showed that they were inflamed but no pneumonia. It has now been 30 days since she started having symptoms and she seems to be fully recovered.

At what point is it safe to say that she is not contagious? My googling suggests that it should be fine now, but there are some articles talking about six weeks after symptoms go away. I have had no physical contact with her since this started and I don't want to put myself at risk.

72 hours without symptoms is the directive on covid19 for health workers, I believe.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:16 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Somewhere between 0.5% and 1% death rate as the NY antibody testing suggests is in line with about 2 million dead if this virus is allowed to infect about 65-70% of the population.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:22 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
That's assuming all 320 million people in the US get infected, as you get to 60-70% infected, the herd immunity will start to kick in and less and less people should get it.
We don't know as of yet if there is any immunity, or for how long it will last. Could be one and done like chicken pox, none at all, a couple of weeks, a month, who knows?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-really-means/

Old 04-23-2020, 01:34 PM

4,182 posts, read 5,064,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Somewhere between 0.5% and 1% death rate as the NY antibody testing suggests is in line with about 2 million dead if this virus is allowed to infect about 65-70% of the population.

The rest of the country is far different from NY, in so many ways, that you cannot make a linear extrapolation like that.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:28 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The Spanish flu had a death rate of 0.5% so this looks to be significantly more deadly if we assume about 25 000 deaths in the state of New York from those 13.9% infected. That'a assuming that about 4500 more people die over the next 15 days for a total statewide death toll of about 25 000 and they got infected during or prior to the statewide antibody testing.

I think we can also assume that the people in NY are a bit more healthy than the rest of the country, so the death rate might be higher in the rest of the country than NY. On the other hand, NY is slightly older so maybe it evens out.
How can you assume that "people in NY are a bit more healthy than the rest of the country"?

Old 04-23-2020, 02:30 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
The antibody tests have a 15% false positive, that's for the Abbott test I believe.

I think the tests for the virus itself has more problems with false negatives overall, but I do not think that is conclusive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-23-2020, 02:34 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
How can you assume that "people in NY are a bit more healthy than the rest of the country"?
People in NY probably have better access to health care than most. Like you, I'm skeptical that they could be more healthy though. They could well have a higher preponderance of people with existing medical conditions, since they are more likely to be rescued from death.

Old 04-23-2020, 02:44 PM

10,363 posts, read 7,990,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
The antibody tests have a 15% false positive, that's for the Abbott test I believe.

I think the tests for the virus itself has more problems with false negatives overall, but I do not think that is conclusive.
Tests don't have a fixed false positive or false negative rate. Those depend on the sensitivity and specificity of the test and the prevalence of what you're testing for in the population you are testing. What is fixed is a test's sensitivity and specificity. Running exactly the same test in two populations with a very different incidence of whatever it is you are testing for can give very different false positive and false negative rates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positi...dictive_values

The Abbot test currently has a claimed sensitivity of 100% and specificity of 99.5% (https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/art...ecific-problem). I expect both numbers to go down slightly as most data comes in, as these tests haven't been as thoroughly researched as most new tests are before being brought to market. (In particular, no test is ever 100% sensitive or specific, though greater than 99.5 percent is what most good tests aim for - the higher, the better.)

Old 04-23-2020, 02:46 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
Bad news. Accidentally-released preliminary info from WHO on remdesivir in China, showed no benefit.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/23/...irus-patients/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events