Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 02:24 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
It’s dollars to doughnuts that no one would get sick, it’s just the store covering their rear end.
Years and years back, when I was maybe 18, I drove a truck for a bakery factory in East London, delivering bread, rolls, cakes, buns, you name it, to the factory’s stores all over London.
One day I took a three tiered wedding cake into a store in NE London, and the manageress told me that it had been cancelled, and to take it back to the factory.
It somehow found its way to my mother’s place, where it lasted all week.
No one got sick, but my folks were very happy.
Good for you. Yes I'm sure everyone was quite happy, to have that nice cake to eat. Hearing about that cake makes me want a piece of cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2021, 03:07 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What I am hearing is that you have never actually read any of his speeches.

Apparently you never listened to any, his mantra of get big or get out was repeated infinitem. Butz and Nixon wanted cheap inputs for food industry. They were getting some political heat from New Deal commodity price supports for small farmer that was rising consumer food prices. Nixon wasnt worried about the small farmer vote, he was worried about middle class suburban vote. The small farmer vote was already diminishing as children of farmers in 50s moving on to college degrees and higher paying jobs.

Quote:
This is related to the OP in some manner?

Yep, there is a price to pay for cheaper food, that being LOWER QUALITY.

Quote:
You are thinking of someone else.

Actually Butz is quite famous for his mantra of get big or get out. Do a google, sure you can find multiple references to this quote.

Quote:
I am not in favor of subsidies.

However you must admit that what he did has worked to keep the average American household food budget low. [which is part of what is being discussed here btw].

You sure sound happy about it. Most capitalist apologists support subsidies when its profitable for them. He did keep prices down at the expense of quality. And we all pay through worse health. You eat crap food, you have lot health problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events