Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 10:07 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
It is an abomination to allow good food to be wasted or destroyed when there are people who need it.

It is MORE a tragedy when food is involved. More a tragedy than anything else, with few exceptions I can imagine.
its not, there is no food shortage. we need a lot of products other than food to survive. you dont need to save food from the garbage, you just need an efficient method of getting food to people which is something that we do have with limited exceptions.

maybe after the apocalypse and we are living in mad max times you would have a good point about not wasting food. but we dont live in those times, there is no food shortage. you can throw out tons of food and there are still tons more food for someone to have easy access to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 10:41 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Tell that to the people waiting in food lines all across the country.
Countless jobs out there. I can't believe how many job offers are around Pittsburgh. Everyone is hiring it seems. Maybe they should work like everyone else.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:57 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not, there is no food shortage.
True.

It has been many decades since we had anything even resembling a food shortage on this planet.

We often have problems with distribution and logistics. Remember when there was a big cry to us to all donate food for the starving people of Ethiopia? But it turned out the local warlords were refusing to allow food to be off-loaded from the cargo ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Countless jobs out there. I can't believe how many job offers are around Pittsburgh. Everyone is hiring it seems. Maybe they should work like everyone else.
and around here there is a pastry factory and a medical swab factory, both are operating full shifts and hiring as many people as they can get.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Many if not most of the people in food bank lines do work.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:27 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
With rent levels at 23 to 25% of Minimum-Wage, anyone working should be able to support themselves.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:32 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
With rent levels at 23 to 25% of Minimum-Wage, anyone working should be able to support themselves.
I think that is heavily dependent on where you live. Oregon COL is quite high. Min wage is also dependent on where you live. Its $10 in very high COL NJ. Full time work Min wage work might result in zero left after monthly rent for a one bedroom, before utilities, car, insurance, health insurance, cell phone, student loans, food, etc etc. so you'd be short probably $1000 a month or more.

My niece as a first year teacher had to go to a food bank several times after her husband lost his job. Her share of health insurance alone was $900 a month for them.and two kids. In the 70's min wage might have been sufficient not today..

Old 02-20-2021, 01:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
That isn't the case in Oregon. The housing market is really tight, and rents are very high. Nonetheless, the food banks here aren't experiencing a shortage, and people aren't waiting in line for hours for food. The true poverty in Oregon (and many other places) isn't about food; it's about housing. People need affordable housing options instead of more food boxes.

Quote:
We often have problems with distribution and logistics. Remember when there was a big cry to us to all donate food for the starving people of Ethiopia? But it turned out the local warlords were refusing to allow food to be off-loaded from the cargo ships.
Agreed.

This wasn't about starving people being held off from salvaging dumpster food by LE. It was about a couple of professional activists who routinely seek out confrontations and chase publicity, probably to fatten up their various Go Fund Me accounts.

This also occurred under abnormal circumstances where the entire city was effectively shut down, and as I mentioned before, local food banks were contacted but had to turn the food down because road conditions were too dangerous to try to transport it. They would not have legally been able to accept the food by the time it got to the dumpster. But people like a good tabloid tale better than the truth, I guess.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-20-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-20-2021, 03:33 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,287,862 times
A couple of people mentioned the health departments. Of course, laws will be different in each state. I know someone who does restaurant and related inspections. If they inspect a restaurant and the food is not at correct temperature, they are required to throw the food away and do something to it so that it is not edible. That could mean putting it in the trash and pouring bleach or dish detergent on it.

If the restaurant or grocery store can get to the food before it has been without power long enough and the temperature is still in range or not beyond the time period, they can donate the food provided that they can find a place willing to take it. The place of business has to be proactive.

The health inspectors are like everyone else, they have a certain work load that they have to get done. They don't really have time to sort out food so it can be donated. They are not set up for that.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:59 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I know that where I am, some of the food banks have people driving some very new, expensive cars.
Oh, good Lord, not this again. Without knowing the life minutiae of every person driving "new, expensive cars", no one has any standing to pass judgement on someone else's car, clothes, handbags, hair, etc.

Quote:
What's sad in this article is that they didn't think to donate the food before it went bad.
Do you think the store could have predicted a power outage? Are grocery store managers clairvoyant or something?

Once the power goes out, the clock starts ticking toward unsalvageable food. And as people noted upthread, an effort was made to donate the food and that offer was declined because of bad weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
They could've cooked all the food and sold or donated it for take out orders.
The power was out. How would you propose the food be cooked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I would suggest a law keeping anybody donating food from being sued.
The law exists at the federal level; however the law does specify that donors may be liable in instances of gross negligence or intentional misconduct. Donating food that is unrefrigerated beyond the industry standard could be considered negligence.

Old 02-20-2021, 04:36 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Many, many, moons ago, I was on a contract taking refrigerated trailers of food from a depot in London, on an 18 wheeler to supermarkets all over East Anglia, a part of SE England.
One day I was in the unloading dock of a large supermarket in Thetford, Norfolk, when a guy brought out a carton, and threw it in a dumpster.
I could see that it was a cake, with piped writing on the frosting, so I said, “What’s the story with the cake?”
They said that it was a birthday cake that had been ordered, paid for, but not collected.
I said, “I’m partial to cake, with frosting and sprinkles, I’ll take it home.”
They said, “Touch it, and we’re on the horn to the police.”
I said, “Whoa, take it easy, it’s a cake that is being dumped.”
They said, “Yes, and you get sick, and the store gets sued.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events