Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 04:45 PM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
Many, many, moons ago, I was on a contract taking refrigerated trailers of food from a depot in London, on an 18 wheeler to supermarkets all over East Anglia, a part of SE England.
One day I was in the unloading dock of a large supermarket in Thetford, Norfolk, when a guy brought out a carton, and threw it in a dumpster.
I could see that it was a cake, with piped writing on the frosting, so I said, “What’s the story with the cake?”
They said that it was a birthday cake that had been ordered, paid for, but not collected.
I said, “I’m partial to cake, with frosting and sprinkles, I’ll take it home.”
They said, “Touch it, and we’re on the horn to the police.”
I said, “Whoa, take it easy, it’s a cake that is being dumped.”
They said, “Yes, and you get sick, and the store gets sued.”
I guess I get that, but I don't get why the store employees couldn't eat it, put it in the break room, or something. As when we got to eat the pizzas that were made wrong when I worked at Domino's. It just seems like such a waste. I used to think it was only Americans who were sue-happy, but I've read a couple of ridiculous sue stories from the UK lately here (one where a mom in a store tripped over her own running wild kid, and sued the store!)

I wonder what the police charge would have been had you taken it out? Stealing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 05:40 PM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I guess I get that, but I don't get why the store employees couldn't eat it, put it in the break room, or something. As when we got to eat the pizzas that were made wrong when I worked at Domino's. It just seems like such a waste.
Was that a good while ago? We used to be able to take food home or put it in the break room too, but that was years and years ago.
Now our employer forbids it, one because of potential liability, two because they have found that sometimes employees actively seek to create food 'waste' that they can benefit from. It's the same reason they no longer let us discount items that have minor damage, those go straight into the trash too.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Was that a good while ago? We used to be able to take food home or put it in the break room too, but that was years and years ago.
Now our employer forbids it, one because of potential liability, two because they have found that sometimes employees actively seek to create food 'waste' that they can benefit from. It's the same reason they no longer let us discount items that have minor damage, those go straight into the trash too.
Yes, it was a very long time ago. You mean workers probably can't eat the messed-up pizzas anymore? That really makes me mad, that was one of the best perks of the job! Lawyers and corporate rules ruin everything.

I know our pizzas weren't messed up on purpose, because the workers who made the pizzas were probably the only ones who didn't have time to eat them. We drivers ate them while waiting for our pizzas to be taken out of the oven, or took a slice to eat in the car on the way to deliver.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:52 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
It's the same reason they no longer let us discount items that have minor damage, those go straight into the trash too.

Thats hard core. I can see them doing it to prevent employees intentionally cosmetically damaging items, but taking a total loss on an item rather than selling at a discount seems bit extreme.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:58 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
I think that is heavily dependent on where you live. Oregon COL is quite high. Min wage is also dependent on where you live. Its $10 in very high COL NJ. Full time work Min wage work might result in zero left after monthly rent for a one bedroom, before utilities, car, insurance, health insurance, cell phone, student loans, food, etc etc. so you'd be short probably $1000 a month or more.

My niece as a first year teacher had to go to a food bank several times after her husband lost his job. Her share of health insurance alone was $900 a month for them.and two kids. In the 70's min wage might have been sufficient not today..
Here in Maine the minimum-age is $12.15 an hour.

I have single-occupancy apartments [heat & electricity & hot water are included in the rent along with a shared laundry room] $450 a month rent.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Here in Maine the minimum-age is $12.15 an hour.

I have single-occupancy apartments [heat & electricity & hot water are included in the rent along with a shared laundry room] $450 a month rent.
That is not typical of most of the United States. You wouldn’t even be able to live in a boarding house for $450 in New Jersey.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:02 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
That is not typical of most of the United States. You wouldn’t even be able to live in a boarding house for $450 in New Jersey.
yes, many parts of New England have a very low COL.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:03 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, good Lord, not this again. Without knowing the life minutiae of every person driving "new, expensive cars", no one has any standing to pass judgement on someone else's car, clothes, handbags, hair, etc.

In modern world few own a new car outright. Some get crazy 8 year or more loans on car purchase and find it easier to qualify for new car loan than used car, and definitely easier than buying even older used car for cash.

And believe it or not, even upper middle class, if they lose a job become desperate cause they are living the good life ON DEBT. Debt is a horrific slave master if you lose a job and dont get new one quickly that pays the bills, you are in a world of hurt. Lose that job and the repo man will be smiling, you wont be driving that car much longer.

Seriously I cant imagine very many jumping all the hoops to get a meal or few meals just for minor freeloading purposes. Most dressed like that, unless they are desperate, DONT COOK, so they have no use for commodities. Good rule of thumb, anybody asking for food, especially food they then have to prepare, are truly in need no matter how they dress or what kind of car they drive.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
yes, many parts of New England have a very low COL.
The fact remains you cannot judge people in Oregon based on what cost of living is in Maine or anywhere in New England. My fiancé is from Massachusetts, and his parents pay much more than 450 a month and they are in a teeny low income senior housing apartment. Maybe out in the boondocks rent is $450, I have a hard time believing rents are that low in more urban and/or suburban areas. It still does not compare to most of the United States.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:07 AM

16,069 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Thats hard core. I can see them doing it to prevent employees intentionally cosmetically damaging items, but taking a total loss on an item rather than selling at a discount seems bit extreme.
Not when you realize a good many 'customers' also damage items hoping to get a discount too. I guess the feeling is that a consistent policy that applies to both customers and employees is the best preventative step to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events