Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 12:51 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,244,048 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/richmon...701a4.amp.html

She probably didn’t want to date the murderer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 02:05 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,064,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtheCat View Post
Lawsuits, calm outrage, message board venom-possibly, but George Floyd murder level reaction-no. A 7 year old black girl was killed last summer with barely a mention.

I love a good virtue signal as much as anyone but, you are as wrong as wrong can be on this point.

the black on black crime (and trust me, i HATE having to make it racially-identified - as if an human being killing any other isnt bad enough) continues in my area, and has throughout the pandemic.

as i've believed for decades, there is a difference and confusion between RACIAL issues and ones of ECONOMIC CLASS. most of the homicides that continue to happen w/ regularity occur in less affluent areas, on weeknights in the wee hours, when people of lower economic class tend to party and drink and hang out.

I don't say that to ridicule anyone (hell, i miss those periods in my 20s of unemployment, McDonald's at midnight, hanging out....with some much time in hand), but that is the description, usually, of the assailant and the victim, most of the time.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:20 PM

1,465 posts, read 624,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
no, i am not biased like you. you will take the cops side every time. i will take the side of whichever is right in the situation. i am not political like you. i dont vote or support any political parties or politicians.
You're not biased ... LOL!

BTW, I'm no cop-lover. You have me confused with somebody else.

Old 03-31-2021, 03:40 PM

1,465 posts, read 624,614 times
No ... the media is silent regarding the racial components of the crime.

Old 03-31-2021, 04:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 4,275,168 times
And to be fair ..of those 9 links. 6 are local TV stations, 2 are from a local community news site run by 3 people, 1 is a celebrity news site. But it's certainly true that the story got an initial burst of coverage on other national outlets, but equally true that it disappeared down the rabbit hole quickly again as well.

Part of it is that the authorities are blatantly sitting on the details of this case, hiding behind the fact the killer is a minor (which otherwise rarely stops those details from being reported). The fact that they are doing that just makes the rumor mill go nuts *locally* and in interested circles, but it also leads to the story disappearing from the general news and the public quickly forgetting about it.

Old 03-31-2021, 05:51 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,044,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
And to be fair ..of those 9 links. 6 are local TV stations, 2 are from a local community news site run by 3 people, 1 is a celebrity news site. But it's certainly true that the story got an initial burst of coverage on other national outlets, but equally true that it disappeared down the rabbit hole quickly again as well.
But it is a local news story. Sorry to say, but in the US a person getting killed in Virginia isn't headline news anywhere but Virginia. Yes it's incredibly sad that a young woman was murdered, but the same thing is happening in cities all across the country.

19,000 people were murdered in 2020. Did they all get national coverage? What makes this one a national story compared to any other?

Old 03-31-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But it is a local news story. Sorry to say, but in the US a person getting killed in Virginia isn't headline news anywhere but Virginia. Yes it's incredibly sad that a young woman was murdered, but the same thing is happening in cities all across the country.

19,000 people were murdered in 2020. Did they all get national coverage? What makes this one a national story compared to any other?

Because it's an unusual story. A child - and at 13 you are a child - went down in a hail of bullets in a nice suburban area for no known reason in broad daylight with other people around.

There's a ton of situations people find themselves in where you can make sense of why a murder occurred, but this one is an outlier. The girl didn't seem to engage in any behavior that would make her enemies or draw the attention of the wrong types of people. The situation wasn't in the least bit risky or one where you'd be uncomfortable for a kid that age to be out and about with a friend. And yet it happened, and it happened in a style of attack associated mostly with gangland or political assassinations. It raises a ton of questions.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:39 PM

50,939 posts, read 36,629,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Because it's an unusual story. A child - and at 13 you are a child - went down in a hail of bullets in a nice suburban area for no known reason in broad daylight with other people around.

There's a ton of situations people find themselves in where you can make sense of why a murder occurred, but this one is an outlier. The girl didn't seem to engage in any behavior that would make her enemies or draw the attention of the wrong types of people. The situation wasn't in the least bit risky or one where you'd be uncomfortable for a kid that age to be out and about with a friend. And yet it happened, and it happened in a style of attack associated mostly with gangland or political assassinations. It raises a ton of questions.
It's not an outlier in today's world though. Look how fast the recent supermarket killing disappeared from the headlines. 10 years ago it would have dominated the news for weeks. There is a thread on this forum about a 14 year old Kentucky teen shot to death while on vacation with his parents in Panama City, Florida. That perp is white. I haven't seen that on the news at all, I never heard the story until I read it here. So it's not about race, it's about these things aren't big news anymore, unfortunately.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not an outlier in today's world though. Look how fast the recent supermarket killing disappeared from the headlines. 10 years ago it would have dominated the news for weeks. There is a thread on this forum about a 14 year old Kentucky teen shot to death while on vacation with his parents in Panama City, Florida. That perp is white. I haven't seen that on the news at all, I never heard the story until I read it here. So it's not about race, it's about these things aren't big news anymore, unfortunately.

Well, the supermarket shooting disappeared quickly once it turned out the killer was a left-leaning Arab immigrant and after lots of people on social media had already blamed it on another 'angry white man'. I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think that if the crime had been committed by say a Trump fan rather than a Trump hater that a lot more would have been made of it.

With regard to the shooting in Panama City, that was still a somewhat different scenario because you had kids having a run-in with some degenerate criminal at a beach in Florida. Should you be safe at the beach in Florida? Yes. It is a riskier place than a foot path in your own neighborhood within 2 minutes of your own house? Absolutely. You're out of your element in a strange environment, beaches are known to attract drifters, drug pushers and other undesirables (of which there's many in Florida), and almost everyone has seen creepy folks hanging around beaches. Would I let my 13 year old kid go to the beach on their own in FL? Maybe, but I'd b pretty reluctant. Would I be happy to let them meet a friend a couple minutes away in our own quiet little neighborhood mid-afternoon? Sure thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events