Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 08:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,084,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Because it's an unusual story. A child - and at 13 you are a child - went down in a hail of bullets in a nice suburban area for no known reason in broad daylight with other people around.
It's unfortunately not that unusual of a story though. There's been a local story here about a 9 year old boy being killed by a teenager while sitting in his mother's car. In January, a 7 year old girl was killed while in her dad's car in front of a popular restaurant. A 3 year old girl was shot and killed earlier that same month.

300 children were shot and killed last year in the US.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...020-shootings/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2021, 08:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,084,741 times
Quote:
Well, the supermarket shooting disappeared quickly once it turned out the killer was a left-leaning Arab immigrant and after lots of people on social media had already blamed it on another 'angry white man'. I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think that if the crime had been committed by say a Trump fan rather than a Trump hater that a lot more would have been made of it.
It has nothing to do with the shooter's race or religion. The Pulse Nightclub shooting wasn't an "angry white man", but that story dominated the news for weeks after. The Boston Marathon bombing is still talked about in the news (just saw a story a few days ago), and again not an "angry white man." Virginia Tech? San Bernardino?

Old 03-31-2021, 09:20 PM

6,890 posts, read 4,344,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It has nothing to do with the shooter's race or religion. The Pulse Nightclub shooting wasn't an "angry white man", but that story dominated the news for weeks after. The Boston Marathon bombing is still talked about in the news (just saw a story a few days ago), and again not an "angry white man." Virginia Tech? San Bernardino?

I didn't say that only crimes involving 'angry white men' are getting any sort of media attention. Just that the supermarket shooting - in the current context - would almost definitively have received more media attention if the killer had been a Trump supporter as it would have been suitable to fit the narrative of Trumpist insurrectionists that the media has built in the wake of the January 6th events in D.C..

News organizations love nothing more than meta narratives especially those that suit some over-arching popular preconceptions among their audience and their own circles. Take for instance how now every time an Asian person runs into any sort of trouble in a big city it's a news story when 2 months ago it wouldn't even have been on the back pages of the local paper. Right now, those stories are 'fit to print'. In another few months they won't again.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:33 AM

51,239 posts, read 36,914,191 times
Quote:
Well, the supermarket shooting disappeared quickly once it turned out the killer was a left-leaning Arab immigrant and after lots of people on social media had already blamed it on another 'angry white man'. I don't think it's far-fetched at all to think that if the crime had been committed by say a Trump fan rather than a Trump hater that a lot more would have been made of it.

With regard to the shooting in Panama City, that was still a somewhat different scenario because you had kids having a run-in with some degenerate criminal at a beach in Florida. Should you be safe at the beach in Florida? Yes. It is a riskier place than a foot path in your own neighborhood within 2 minutes of your own house? Absolutely. You're out of your element in a strange environment, beaches are known to attract drifters, drug pushers and other undesirables (of which there's many in Florida), and almost everyone has seen creepy folks hanging around beaches. Would I let my 13 year old kid go to the beach on their own in FL? Maybe, but I'd b pretty reluctant. Would I be happy to let them meet a friend a couple minutes away in our own quiet little neighborhood mid-afternoon? Sure thing.
I find your justifications for your beliefs very far fetched, in both cases.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I didn't say that only crimes involving 'angry white men' are getting any sort of media attention. Just that the supermarket shooting - in the current context - would almost definitively have received more media attention if the killer had been a Trump supporter as it would have been suitable to fit the narrative of Trumpist insurrectionists that the media has built in the wake of the January 6th events in D.C..

News organizations love nothing more than meta narratives especially those that suit some over-arching popular preconceptions among their audience and their own circles. Take for instance how now every time an Asian person runs into any sort of trouble in a big city it's a news story when 2 months ago it wouldn't even have been on the back pages of the local paper. Right now, those stories are 'fit to print'. In another few months they won't again.
I disagree completely. Asian killings are in the news because there have been many more incidents of harrassment and murder of Asians recently. Many are afraid to even walk the streets in some cities. A lot of the murders are by black teens, yet they are still news so your narrative is just not accurate. The media didn’t make up insurrectionists, we saw them with our own eyes.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkHammer View Post
Incorrect. I'm gonna assume the Hennepin County medical examiner knows more about his demise than you.
Even if he was overdosing that’s not a death sentence now if help is there. There was an ENT on site begging to help Floyd but the cop refused to let her. That alone makes him guilty in his death. It is pretty apparent though that he was determined to keep his knee there until he died.

Old 04-01-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedtheCat View Post
LMAO- yeah OK LOL

In THIS case, no there would NOT be- the victim in this case is white. Can you provide examples of rioting, burning, looting, National guard intervention (ala Minneapolis/Seattle 2020, LA with Rodney King) due to a WHITE victim not getting justice???
I didn't see any rioting when OJ was acquitted-can you provide evidence of such looting and riots after his acquittal?

You can't. and you won't. If you want to fool yourself into thinking there would be, fine, but let's be real.

Lawsuits, calm outrage, message board venom-possibly, but George Floyd murder level reaction-no. A 7 year old black girl was killed last summer with barely a mention.

I love a good virtue signal as much as anyone but, you are as wrong as wrong can be on this point.
First of all, protesters were not the same people as rioters/looters. The looters were opportunists, none cared inexwhit about George Floyd. Just like everyone who showed up to protest Jan 6 did not partake in the insurrection, in fact most did not.

What reason is there to protest except to effect change? George Floyd’s death was protested because it was (at least to the protesters) part of a systemic, overarching problem of which Floyd was simply the latest victim of. They were trying to get justice, and reforms. In a murder not involving any government “system”’ that can be changed, and with a perp who is arrested/brought to justice, what would the purpose of protest be?

Old 04-01-2021, 01:16 PM

8,157 posts, read 7,544,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It's not an outlier in today's world though. Look how fast the recent supermarket killing disappeared from the headlines. 10 years ago it would have dominated the news for weeks. There is a thread on this forum about a 14 year old Kentucky teen shot to death while on vacation with his parents in Panama City, Florida. That perp is white. I haven't seen that on the news at all, I never heard the story until I read it here. So it's not about race, it's about these things aren't big news anymore, unfortunately.
You didn't see it on the news because there's no video or the video hasn't been released yet.

I often see things on the Nightly News and I wonder "how is that news?" but of course it's news because there's video.

Old 04-01-2021, 01:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,756,064 times
Why is this only reported in Englan?

Old 04-01-2021, 01:51 PM

6,890 posts, read 4,344,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I disagree completely. Asian killings are in the news because there have been many more incidents of harrassment and murder of Asians recently. Many are afraid to even walk the streets in some cities. A lot of the murders are by black teens, yet they are still news so your narrative is just not accurate. The media didn’t make up insurrectionists, we saw them with our own eyes.
Creating a narrative does not involve making things up. You create a narrative by recognizing, describing and then propagating a pattern in real events. But here's the tricky part, we all have our own tool kits that make us see these patterns or not. That toolkit comes from political ideology, religion, life experience, cognitive ability. As a result people see or do not see very different patterns. As a result there's usually conflicting narratives.

For example with the Atlanta spa shootings, I could run with the fact that 6 of 9 shooting victims were Asians. I would have to disregard the fact that 2 white and 1 Hispanic person were also shot, but I could chalk them up as 'collateral damage' so to speak.

I would also have to disregard that the perpetrator has indicated that he has no racial animus vs Asians, which is highly unusual for a racially-driven killer as letting the victim group and the public know why you killed them is a big part of the act - as it is essentially an act of terrorism. And terrorists generally aren't shy about reasons.

But if I was Asian, and felt beleaguered in general, and had a strong group identity which makes me feel very acutely that attacks on other members of my group are also attacks on me, I may nevertheless feel it as an anti-Asian attack.

I could however also say that the pattern here is that all of the victims were present at places of business in some way associated with the sex trade. The killer was a frequent user of such sexual services, and also involved with fundamentalist religious practices which made him an sworn enemy of the very services he actively sought. Now I could say that this is a classic case of how evangelical Christianity and mental illness can make for a very bad combination.

The fact that his victims were Asian women would be purely coincidental, or at most a result of the killer's sexual preference for Asian women over other women who make such services available. There is no indication that the killer engaged in any violence or aggression against Asians in general outside of the world of massage parlors.

If I believe in the former pattern, I can see this as a centerpiece item in a perceived 'wave' of anti-Asian attacks and I may now actively search for other crimes committed against Asians and place them in the same mental folder to reinforce my notion of anti-Asian attacks. If I believe in the latter cause, I could instead search for other instances of crazy fundamentalists engaging in crimes caused by their sexual morals. I could also simply see it as another gun crime and talk about gun restriction. Or I could think of it as the regrettable but singular act of a lunatic.

What I am really saying though is that how these actual events fit together is by no means automatic and obvious. And journalists professionally do this all the time, it's a big part of their job, after all the readers and viewers often want more than just a basic description of what happened, they want to know the why, the 'what does it all mean for us?'. So to circle back to the beginning, whichever toolkit journalists use to identify these patterns and then build their narratives is going to be of tremendous importance in determining how news are reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events