Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2023, 09:02 AM

11,090 posts, read 6,968,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm pretty sure they have more than that, but that should be more than enough on its own. That is not a normal letter that most mothers would write to their sons. It shows intent. If he commited a crime, she would support him, help him cover it up, and help him break out of jail if necessary. As anybody who has been following this story closely knows, that is exactly what happened. Well except the part about helping him break out of jail. It never got that far. But if it had, I'm sure she would have kept her word on that too.

This whole family is a family of sociopaths. What happened would have been totally predictable to anybody who knew them well.
^^All of this. Except I don't think the sister is a sociopath. I think she's a victim of these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
With all due respect, you clearly don't understand the law and are allowing your personal bias to drive your opinion on the matter.

Have you actually read the letter? Allow me to provide a partial transcript:

Read that bolded part and tell me in good faith that her words weren't just absurd figure of speech. I'll wait.

Say what? There hasn't even been an accusation (much less evidence) that his parents helped conceal the murder.

Relevance?
Every single one of your rebuttals are weak.

Old 05-28-2023, 11:15 AM

14,570 posts, read 23,113,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Every single one of your rebuttals are weak.
Yet I'm still waiting for you to address the factual inaccuracies in a thread from December.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:43 PM

Didn't see that thread and I have other fish to fry than to spar with you.

Your opinion won't matter when a jury decides the definition of intent in this trial. There is enough intent shown in the burn after reading letter, when the case is taken in its entirety.

Old 05-28-2023, 01:11 PM

14,570 posts, read 23,113,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Didn't see that thread and I have other fish to fry than to spar with you.
You didn't see a thread that you started and that you posted in over twenty times?!?

Please continue responding and embarrassing yourself.

Quote:
Your opinion won't matter when a jury decides the definition of intent in this trial. There is enough intent shown in the burn after reading letter, when the case is taken in its entirety.
The issue at trial is whether the statement issued by Bertolini (sp?) constituted an intentional infliction of emotional distress against the Petito's. The only bearing this letter has on that issue is to the extent that it convinces (if it is allowed into evidence) the jury that the Laundrie's had knowledge that Gabby was already deceased.

For reasons I've pointed out, I don't believe a reasonable person could draw that conclusion from the letter. I also don't believe that Bertolini's vague and general statement rises to the level of IIED, but that will be for a jury to decide.

Old 05-28-2023, 01:41 PM

15,490 posts, read 9,171,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Please elaborate on this, because thus far there is ZERO evidence that his parents were involved in disposing of her body. Would be rather hard to do from the State of Florida, don't ya think?
Well lets see. First his psychopath mother promised him that she would help him dispose of a dead body, if the need ever arose. That is a fact. Then immediately after he murdered his girlfriend, he came running home to mommy. Surprise, surprise, surprise. The same mother who promised him that she would help him dispose of a dead body, if he ever needed help with that. Mommy then promptly hired him a lawyer, and they refused to answer any questions from Gabby Petito's parents or from the police.

But none of that is suspicious to you at all? Just like it's perfectly normal to you that a mother would promise her son that she would bring a shovel and garbage bags if he ever needed help disposing of a dead body. But then when he murders his girlfriend and disposes of her body, you don't think his mother had anything to do with it.

Fortunately I'm sure the jury will be a lot more objective then you are.

Old 05-28-2023, 01:58 PM
miu

17,772 posts, read 40,232,870 times
I still say that the Gabby Petito's parents have a percentage of blame in their daughter's death. How could they encourage and support her traveling in a van across country as a wannabe "influencer"? Being an influencer is not a real job, and those videos are all about Gabby not her boyfriend... which was unfair to her boyfriend since those videos promoted a fake scenario of a pretty girl exploring the country. And of the few followers they had, you know that most were men ogling her.

Her parents should have kept her at home and looking for a real career, a real job, instead of traipsing all over the country with her loser boyfriend.

And Gabby was using her boyfriend in order to garner more attention for herself in some misguided attempt to become an influencer. I'm not surprised at what happened to her.

Old 05-28-2023, 02:03 PM

15,490 posts, read 9,171,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I still say that the Gabby Petito's parents have a percentage of blame in their daughter's death. How could they encourage and support her traveling in a van across country as a wannabe "influencer"? Being an influencer is not a real job, and those videos are all about Gabby not her boyfriend... which was unfair to her boyfriend since those videos promoted a fake scenario of a pretty girl exploring the country. And of the few followers they had, you know that most were men ogling her.

Her parents should have kept her at home and looking for a real career, a real job, instead of traipsing all over the country with her loser boyfriend.

And Gabby was using her boyfriend in order to garner more attention for herself in some misguided attempt to become an influencer. I'm not surprised at what happened to her.
Classic victim blaming. You know that a family has no legal right to keep a 22 year old at home right?

Old 05-28-2023, 03:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,847,469 times
Quote:

Unfortunately, the only person who's responsible for Gabby's death is Brian Laundrie. She wasn't 17 traipsing around in a van; she was 22, and they were legally unable to keep her at home. That said, she didn't come across as a functioning adult in any of the videos I saw of her.

If the letter indeed was written prior to their trip, I don't see how it can establish intent any more than the myriad of social media memes out there that say essentially the same thing that people have been posting for the past decade or so. Mila Kunis better hope that her kid never committs murder, because she stated in an interview that she'd help bury the bodies.

Nonetheless the letter was creepy, if hyperbolic, in its own right, and we only seem to have Roberta Laundries' word for it that it was written before-the-fact.

It doesn't seem the kind of letter than a stable person would write to an adult son under any circumstances, or the kind of letter than an adult son would carry around in his backpack. I'm leaning toward thinking it was written after the murder.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I'm not even going to dignify this comment (bolded) with a response.

As for influencers aka "content creators" not being a "real job" tell that to those who are making very, very serious bank from their content on various platforms. It is indeed a real job, and a rapidly developing field.

As for "her parents should have kept her at home blah blah blah" you sound like an evangelical fundie instead of a "devout atheist humanist." I guess young adults shouldn't be free to explore their interests and hobbies, ya know, their passion, which was the case with Gabby.

As for the "fake scenario" you alleged, Brian Laundrie did not want to be a part of her project so the mentally ill murdered control freak should have bowed out instead of trying to control her and make her give up her dream.

I am shaking my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events