Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2023, 10:08 PM

2,084 posts, read 914,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain II View Post
Even if they had recognized him, what could have done about it? He wasn't a wanted person at that point and the arrest warrant wasn't issued until after he was already missing.

OFGS Srsly?

If they had kept 'eyes on him' like they alleged (& were paid to do):

Sept 26, 2021

Cost of search for Brian Laundrie estimated at nearly $1 million and counting

https://nbc-2.com/news/local/2021/09...-and-counting/

dirty laundry remains were found nearly a month later (10/20). Got a calculator?
Nevermind.

Imagine if they actually had him under surveillance.

No comment on the red herring? Thought not.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2023, 12:01 AM

23,940 posts, read 33,819,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
I think they went directly close to the spot where BL shot himself as that spot was one of his favorites and frequented by BL - and the parents knew that spot and walked there with BL or at least the father did - it was reported at that time.

Autopsy report below has coordinates on page 2 - maybe someone could post the photo of where BL committed suicide

https://www.scribd.com/document/5588...oad&from_embed

So the fact that parents knew where to look isn't sinister and completely plausible - as the family liked to be outdoors and hiked/camped often

Right, they were an outdoor type of family, they knew his hanging out spots in the woods. He could have told them he needed to think about their relationship after a BIG argument. If he told them, I don't think they would have let him alone, he takes me as the type that threatens suicide when he gets in certain "moods". I know people like that.

I think once everything started blowing up in the press is when the Laundries had an "oh crap" moment, wondering exactly what did happen and if anything Brian told them was even true. I'm sure they also knew he had a hot head, he was probably the type to punch walls and kick doors, even lashing out (punching) at whoever he is fighting with.

I think when Gabby was found, the parents knew Brian went to the woods to end it all. No doubt they were in shock, possibly blaming themselves some too, thinking they made a mess of things lawyering up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Even in Brian's suicide note confession letter, he really tried to soften the sound of what he had done to Gabby. She supposedly got injured so he killed her so that she wouldn't have to suffer...or some such excuse which makes ZERO sense.

He didn't give his parents specifics, the specifics died with him. We'll never know why he did what he did.

I've never read the full letter, that I can recall anyway. I do wonder if her body did show signs of an injury or not. It's not a "reason" to kill her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
If this was the case, why block the Petito's and contact an attorney. Why couldn't they have just said, Brian told us . . ." This leads me to believe they knew Brian did something that required the services of an attorney. Gabby's body laid in the woods for how long decomposing? Had those people not captured Gabby's van on video, who knows how long her body would have decomposed and perhaps never found.
As a parent, I would want to know if the Laundries had any role in what occurred subsequent to the death.
It isn't just about the circumstances of her death, it's treating Gabby like a piece of trash.

I am so sorry about what happened to you. Your parent's behavior was despicable. It's treating a person like they don't matter.

Thankfully, Gabby was found fairly quick. I've worked missing cases where they're missing 50 years.

I think they believed whatever BS story Brian fed them up until it started blowing up, then it was too late for the Laundries to dig themselves out of immediately lawyering up.

Someone I know reminds me of Brian. They can spin some pretty good stories (lies). I also feel he was the type to explode at times so people tip toed around him, probably with his mother being the one to tip toe the softest so that he didn't flip out on her.

Being a parent, I can see his parents just going along with what he told them because that's all that Brian would give them. I could see his mother hoping he and Gabby didn't have a physical fight where he did something to kill her.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone said that he's blown up, hit his parents while raging. Naturally his parents would be afraid, especially as they get older.

I'll be interested in the text messages between he and his parents if there even are any. Brian may have been too smart to leave evidence like that. I could see him talking on the phone where there would only be phone call history, not the actual conversation in texts. That's what I'm very interested in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPickel View Post
OFGS Srsly?

Sept 26, 2021

dirty laundry remains were found nearly a month later (10/20). Got a calculator?
Nevermind.

I don't remember if you were following the big Gabby thread when she was first missing. There were some of us that were criticizing the police's lack of doing anything, especially following Brian. I believe it was a press conference where we learned they lost track of him. Dog the bounty hunter was doing more to try to watch/ find Brian because the police were worthless.

I honestly don't think they took Gabby missing seriously, IIRC they would not write a missing person's report for the parents.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:57 AM

I do remember blurtorino slamming Dog & John Walsh;

“Dusty relics like that Dog and John Walsh need a tragic situation like this so they can clear the cobwebs off their names and give their publicity-hungry egos some food,”

Pot kettle

Dog fired back;

“It’s ironic that Mr. Bertolino would criticize the people trying to find Brian Laundrie unless perhaps he doesn’t want him found,”

Old 06-25-2023, 02:42 PM

17,636 posts, read 16,808,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Right, they were an outdoor type of family, they knew his hanging out spots in the woods. He could have told them he needed to think about their relationship after a BIG argument. If he told them, I don't think they would have let him alone, he takes me as the type that threatens suicide when he gets in certain "moods". I know people like that.

I think once everything started blowing up in the press is when the Laundries had an "oh crap" moment, wondering exactly what did happen and if anything Brian told them was even true. I'm sure they also knew he had a hot head, he was probably the type to punch walls and kick doors, even lashing out (punching) at whoever he is fighting with.

I think when Gabby was found, the parents knew Brian went to the woods to end it all. No doubt they were in shock, possibly blaming themselves some too, thinking they made a mess of things lawyering up.

I've never read the full letter, that I can recall anyway. I do wonder if her body did show signs of an injury or not. It's not a "reason" to kill her.

Thankfully, Gabby was found fairly quick. I've worked missing cases where they're missing 50 years.

I think they believed whatever BS story Brian fed them up until it started blowing up, then it was too late for the Laundries to dig themselves out of immediately lawyering up.

Someone I know reminds me of Brian. They can spin some pretty good stories (lies). I also feel he was the type to explode at times so people tip toed around him, probably with his mother being the one to tip toe the softest so that he didn't flip out on her.

Being a parent, I can see his parents just going along with what he told them because that's all that Brian would give them. I could see his mother hoping he and Gabby didn't have a physical fight where he did something to kill her.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone said that he's blown up, hit his parents while raging. Naturally his parents would be afraid, especially as they get older.

I'll be interested in the text messages between he and his parents if there even are any. Brian may have been too smart to leave evidence like that. I could see him talking on the phone where there would only be phone call history, not the actual conversation in texts. That's what I'm very interested in.

I don't remember if you were following the big Gabby thread when she was first missing. There were some of us that were criticizing the police's lack of doing anything, especially following Brian. I believe it was a press conference where we learned they lost track of him. Dog the bounty hunter was doing more to try to watch/ find Brian because the police were worthless.

I honestly don't think they took Gabby missing seriously, IIRC they would not write a missing person's report for the parents.
I think Brian beat her and tried to explain the injuries away by saying she "fell down" or some such thing. I don't remember the confession note verbatim but the gist was that she got injured and he basically put her down to spare her from suffering. He may have lashed out at her in anger, realized that he had hurt her very badly and decided to finish her off. But we'll never know what happened because he killed himself and his confession note really didn't say what happened.

They had parked their van not too far from a house and they both had cell phones with them so Brian could have gotten help for Gabby if she was injured. But he ended her life instead.

Old 06-25-2023, 07:53 PM

14,585 posts, read 23,160,728 times
Quote:
OFGS Srsly?

Sept 26, 2021

Nevermind.

Your incoherent blathering--while entertaining--doesn't answer the question. Would you care to try again?

Old 06-25-2023, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Even in Brian's suicide note confession letter, he really tried to soften the sound of what he had done to Gabby. She supposedly got injured so he killed her so that she wouldn't have to suffer...or some such excuse which makes ZERO sense.

He didn't give his parents specifics, the specifics died with him. We'll never know why he did what he did.

I agree that we'll never know why he did what he did. But we have learned that they had a very toxic & volatile relationship w/mutual slap fights that were escalating. Also that brian heard voices (iirc also had trouble sleeping) & on the ride to the motel room for the night, admitted to the Moab leo that he was prescribed medication for "anxiety" ..but was not taking it for his own personal made up philosophical reasons. We've also learned that they clashed about the van life vlog. Bigly. It was a perfect storm.

His why doesn't interest me. Don't care. What does interest me is what his parents knew. What caused them to immediately hire an attorney? Consciousness of guilt? Not only to represent them, but brian as well, before he even got back home if I'm not mistaken. <insert "burn after reading" missive> Perhaps?

Ghosting the Petitos? To protect mama's little boy. Unconscionable. Morally reprehensible.

Makes one wonder what they might have known to make it palatable when this same attorney advised them to severe all communication w/their daughter -- when they threw brian's sister, Cassie under the bus? Not a good look.

I'm so looking fwd to the depos. Let's get this party started!

Quote:
I think Brian beat her and tried to explain the injuries away by saying she "fell down" or some such thing. I don't remember the confession note verbatim but the gist was that she got injured and he basically put her down to spare her from suffering. He may have lashed out at her in anger, realized that he had hurt her very badly and decided to finish her off. But we'll never know what happened because he killed himself and his confession note really didn't say what happened.

They had parked their van not too far from a house and they both had cell phones with them so Brian could have gotten help for Gabby if she was injured. But he ended her life instead.
We're rather hampered by Utah law in regards to the death certificate legally only able to reveal the cause & manner of death --- nothing more. And that ain't much. No *condition of the body* or photographs (I wouldn't want to see anyway). I imagine he likely knocked her out w/something & needed to conjure up justification for that injury in his memoir.

The murder scene was very remote .. no houses ...searchers were on horseback.

> Blue said investigators believe Petito was killed three-to-four weeks before her body was discovered on Sept. 19 near Grand Teton National Park.

When KSL’s Chopper 5 flew over the crime scene that day, a photographer spotted the remains above ground, but covered, possibly by a blanket.

Hiking shoes were on the ground next to the body.

https://ksltv.com/474333/gabby-petit...strangulation/

KSL has elected not to make that particular part of the video public

However a Salt Lake County prosecutor shown the video in its entirety offered some observations:

Morgan came away with distinct impressions from this scene.

“This was quick. This was not sitting here for five or six hours, trying to figure out how to conceal a crime,” he said.

He also didn’t notice any obvious signs of a struggle on the ground.

“One of the things I’ve been seeing in this story is a history of these individuals getting into fights and she attacked him,” said Morgan. “I don’t see that here. All I see is one individual who suffered the damage and no evidence of injury created by her.”

~~~~ Lots of news & drone views of the location @ the link above.

No signs of a struggle? That's why I think he probably blindsided her as she sat by the campfire drying her hiking boots. Her stepfather left a cross of stones there w/flowers beside the campfire where her body laid.

Old 06-27-2023, 04:43 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,253,307 times
Quote:

His why doesn't interest me. Don't care. What does interest me is what his parents knew. What caused them to immediately hire an attorney? Consciousness of guilt? Not only to represent them, but brian as well, before he even got back home if I'm not mistaken. <insert "burn after reading" missive> Perhaps?

Ghosting the Petitos? To protect mama's little boy. Unconscionable. Morally reprehensible.

Makes one wonder what they might have known to make it palatable when this same attorney advised them to severe all communication w/their daughter -- when they threw brian's sister, Cassie under the bus?

Pure speculation on my part from the point of Occam’s Razor principle:

Somehow I doubt that Brian told them anything when he arrived home but made up some lie regarding Gabby’s absence and her van with him.

BL was a coward and couldn’t /wouldn’t take responsibility for his actions as his behavior in the encounter with the Utah police and his suicide note shows.
He was trying to cover up his crime and create an illusion that Gabby is ok by sending texts to Gabby’s mother from her phone

However, his parents knew their favorite child well and most likely started guessing that all isn’t well and perhaps something bad happened or were not sure what happened.
Perhaps, more than usual disturbing behavior and his mood swings, maybe crying, him trying to isolate, etc, etc.?

Their suspicion and unease perhaps got more substantial when they started getting call (s?) from Petitos and they tried questioning Brian about his story with his suspicious reactions to their questions?

They could even may have discovered Gabby’s credit card on Brian while cleaning or doing his laundry or intentionally searching his room in his absence?

IIRC, the parents lawyering has occurred in a very short period of time.

I remember, that I was surprised how long it took Petitos to start calling and texting Brian and then his parents, his sister

Think the Petitos became concerned around Sept 9th? Nearly 2 weeks after Gabby’s murder.

By that time BL’s parents perhaps noticed changes in his behavior but didn’t know what has happened?

The police was called on the 10th? They had to wait for 24 hours.

The police visited the Laundries on the 11th and towed her van late that night.

It became quite clear to the Laundries that BL could be in trouble: took the van without permission and left her stranded? used her cc crossing state lines? - so they call their friend lawyer that day on the 11th?
They could have called him earlier if they did discover Gabby’s credit card in Brian’s possession - which is plausible..

The number #1 advice any lawyer would give off-hand “don’t talk to the police” - which was prudent advice which they followed…

The whole hell of the media circus broke loose on the morning of the 12th and picked up nationwide by the broadcasters - as the police woman advised the Petitos to appeal on social media - which has happened on the 11th

BL left to kill himself early morning on the 13th.

So the parents may not know much - but as you all here it would be interesting to disprove the theory above if something pops-up in their texts to each other.

“Throwing Cassie under the bus” and isolating her was done out of love and protection for her: if they shared their suspicions or she accidentally would witnessed BL’s suspicious behavior - they didn’t want her to be involved at all as nothing she could do and could get involved in all the hoopla of the media; which she did anyway as she was hounded by them.

She was questioned by police officially.

However, her participation in this circus was minimized as she had nothing to say, add, explain - in the most natural way - as she was cut off by her parents - the best the parents could do for her and her children.

That was the best the parents could do to help her stay away and not be involved in something they were not sure of themselves at that time.
The BL’s parents suspicions came true on the 19th of September when Gabby was found.

They perhaps even suspected that BL killed himself - yet as it was strong, but only a suspicion - they continued their silence to help BL if he was just hiding - as nothing could be done to help both Gabby and BL at that point.

So they might not be the monsters the public made them out to be.
Just the unfortunate parents of an adult child with mental disease(s), perhaps even schizophrenia? And an eventual murderer …
Yet as helpless parents you try to understand, hope for the best, help and grieve for their misfortunes

Last edited by L00k4ward; 06-27-2023 at 05:15 AM..

Old 06-27-2023, 06:25 AM

3,179 posts, read 1,639,716 times
Quote:

Somehow I doubt that Brian told them anything when he arrived home but made up some lie regarding Gabby’s absence and her van with him.

BL was a coward and couldn’t /wouldn’t take responsibility for his actions as his behavior in the encounter with the Utah police and his suicide note shows.
He was trying to cover up his crime and create an illusion that Gabby is ok by sending texts to Gabby’s mother from her phone

However, his parents knew their favorite child well and most likely started guessing that all isn’t well and perhaps something bad happened or were not sure what happened.
Perhaps, more than usual disturbing behavior and his mood swings, maybe crying, him trying to isolate, etc, etc.?

Their suspicion and unease perhaps got more substantial when they started getting call (s?) from Petitos and they tried questioning Brian about his story with his suspicious reactions to their questions?

They could even may have discovered Gabby’s credit card on Brian while cleaning or doing his laundry or intentionally searching his room in his absence?

I remember, that I was surprised how long it took Petitos to start calling and texting Brian and then his parents, his sister

Think the Petitos became concerned around Sept 9th? Nearly 2 weeks after Gabby’s murder.

By that time BL’s parents perhaps noticed changes in his behavior but didn’t know what has happened?

It became quite clear to the Laundries that BL could be in trouble: took the van without permission and left her stranded? used her cc crossing state lines? - so they call their friend lawyer that day on the 11th?
They could have called him earlier if they did discover Gabby’s credit card in Brian’s possession - which is plausible..

The number #1 advice any lawyer would give off-hand “don’t talk to the police” - which was prudent advice which they followed…

The whole hell of the media circus broke loose on the morning of the 12th and picked up nationwide by the broadcasters - as the police woman advised the Petitos to appeal on social media - which has happened on the 11th

So the parents may not know much - but as you all here it would be interesting to disprove the theory above if something pops-up in their texts to each other.

“Throwing Cassie under the bus” and isolating her was done out of love and protection for her: if they shared their suspicions or she accidentally would witnessed BL’s suspicious behavior - they didn’t want her to be involved at all as nothing she could do and could get involved in all the hoopla of the media; which she did anyway as she was hounded by them.

However, her participation in this circus was minimized as she had nothing to say, add, explain - in the most natural way - as she was cut off by her parents - the best the parents could do for her and her children.

That was the best the parents could do to help her stay away and not be involved in something they were not sure of themselves at that time.
The BL’s parents suspicions came true on the 19th of September when Gabby was found.

They perhaps even suspected that BL killed himself - yet as it was strong, but only a suspicion - they continued their silence to help BL if he was just hiding - as nothing could be done to help both Gabby and BL at that point.

Just the unfortunate parents of an adult child with mental disease(s), perhaps even schizophrenia? And an eventual murderer …
Yet as helpless parents you try to understand, hope for the best, help and grieve for their misfortunes

It is helpful to consider alternative scenarios. But I would need actual facts to back up Brian's mental disease
and what actions the parents' took or didn't take to get him help before I would consider his parents helpless and grieve for their misfortune.

I try to think as a parent on both sides. What do the Laundries' have to lose at this point by voluntarily disclosing information to the Petitos Their son murdered their daughter, a woman with whom they also had a relationship, and they are in a position to help the Petitos to resolve unanswered questions.

Last edited by Maddie104; 06-27-2023 at 07:08 AM..

Old 06-27-2023, 06:41 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,932,724 times
The whole Brian Laundrie reminds me of:

1) When Jerry Remy (Red Sox announcer) son plead guilty to first degree murder. No reason to do that aside from shielding the family from even more of a media circus.

2) Godfather Part II when Frank Pentangeli kills himself in the bathroom after talking to Tom Hagan.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:28 AM

23,940 posts, read 33,819,997 times
Quote:

I think what you posted makes a lot of sense. That's how I feel, I just didn't try to account for dates and times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events