Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2024, 04:25 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,175,151 times

Advertisements

Where is everyone getting all this information? Are you all getting more updated information from a crime show station? Is it live or interviews?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 04:58 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Well, I'm glad you aren't on the jury. I would hope that anyone who enters into any case with that degree of bias would tell the judge during jury selection that they are simply too biased to serve.

Those acts might constitute ordinary negligence. Its very unlikely that they rise to a standard of criminal negligence that I've discussed in earlier posts. I hope you understand there are many unsafe work places all over this country and sadly deaths result from those too. Yet, seldom are corporate executives sent to prison over it.

I think it's unclear exactly how much contact Baldwin had with her. Perhaps, a trial will spell that out. In hindsight, clearly this was the wrong job for her to be doing. Frankly, in all my years practicing law I've never heard of an employer being held criminally negligent because of a hiring decision he/she made. I think to get to that level you would have to show Baldwin knowingly hired someone who had been responsible for a prior death in another firearms accident.
I don't know what charges he is facing but the prosecutor's case for the armorer relied very heavily on her being solely responsible and portrayed her attempt to shift blame as disingenuous.

the same prosecutor will be trying Baldwin. it will be interesting to see how she changes her approach for that case.

Old 03-07-2024, 04:59 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,139,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Where is everyone getting all this information? Are you all getting more updated information from a crime show station? Is it live or interviews?

from the trial that just wrapped up, it was broadcast live

Old 03-07-2024, 05:05 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
But those corporate executives did not point a gun at someone and shoot them dead. Alec not only created the unsafe environment that lead to a live round being in the gun he fired the shot that killed.
Dave, stop stop stop. We'll just wait for legal proceedings and a verdict against Baldwin.

I don't agree with you. You apparently don't agree with me.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:09 AM

24 posts, read 6,010 times
George Clooney stated publicly that he personally checks every gun handed to him on set. He was friends with Brandon Lee who, of course, was killed in another accidental on set shooting.

There doesn’t seem to be a universal cast iron law in the film making industry of where exactly the last line of defence from a gun is, Some actors like Clooney will check it themselves where as Baldwin stated that he was taught to never mess with the gun after the armourer has checked it since they are responsible. Both of those points of view seem to be allowed and permissible within the industry.

Hopefully this case will lead to better guidelines ..

Old 03-08-2024, 05:34 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Dave, stop stop stop. We'll just wait for legal proceedings and a verdict against Baldwin.

I don't agree with you. You apparently don't agree with me.
But isn't that what this message board is all about? To share our opinion on a current event?

Old 03-08-2024, 05:36 AM

16,273 posts, read 10,401,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
I don't know what charges he is facing but the prosecutor's case for the armorer relied very heavily on her being solely responsible and portrayed her attempt to shift blame as disingenuous.

the same prosecutor will be trying Baldwin. it will be interesting to see how she changes her approach for that case.
This may be the most interesting post I've read in this thread. Very good point, I wonder what the approach to this trial will be.

Old 03-08-2024, 09:21 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimijel View Post
George Clooney stated publicly that he personally checks every gun handed to him on set. He was friends with Brandon Lee who, of course, was killed in another accidental on set shooting.

There doesn’t seem to be a universal cast iron law in the film making industry of where exactly the last line of defence from a gun is,
The armorer HAS to be the last line of defense, as most actors know nothing about firearms. They are actors, not firearms enthusiasts. They couldn't tell a live round from a dummy round from a blank from a wadcutter. Making sure the gun is safe to use in a scene is the armorer's job.

And Brandon Lee's death is a good example of why having an actor check the gun isn't enough. No simple visual inspection would have detected the squib round that killed him; you need to run a cleaning rod down the gun barrel for that.

Fort hose who are interested here's a Wikipedia summary of how Brandon Lee was killed (put behind spoiler tags because it is long):

Spoiler
"On March 31, 1993, Lee was filming a scene for the film The Crow in which his character is shot and killed by thugs.[99] In the scene, Lee's character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped, and a thug played by actor Michael Massee fires a Smith & Wesson Model 629 .44 Magnum revolver at Lee's character as he walks into the room.[100]

In a film shoot prior to the fatal scene, the gun that was used as a prop (a real revolver) was loaded with improperly made dummy rounds, improvised from live cartridges that had the powder charges removed by the special effects crew, so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunition. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges, and at some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired. Although there were no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck—a dangerous condition known as a squib load.

During the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank's propellant and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.[101][102]"

Old 03-08-2024, 11:19 AM

7,244 posts, read 7,069,492 times
Does anyone know if Jensen Ackles has been or will be part of the trial? He has done lots of weapon handling on Supernatural. I wondered if he was or will be called to testify about his experiences on the set of this movie.

Old 03-08-2024, 01:15 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,280,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I agree and I appreciate your post.

I am just saying, if I am an actor in a shoot-em-up, I am checking my OWN GUN before every scene.

But you aren't and you didn't.

It's absurd to charge him when there never should have been live ammo on the set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events