Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2023, 10:20 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Hydrophone, usually. It's sort of like a radio.
Radio frequencies don't work under water, so voice frequency is raised to an much higher frequency. Even if you heard it you could make sense of it, so the receiver breaks it back down to voice frequency. People sound a little funny, but can be understood.
I was trained to use underwater hydrophones. Sound travels well underwater, but not all frequencies of our audio band. Some phonics get distorted.

Generally you pause after each word, as sometimes there will be an echo that walks on the next word.

While submerged on the AUTEC range we may communicate with the range safety officer via hydrophones to coordinate when we can fire at the next surface target.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2023, 10:25 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Feel sick thinking about these souls...Have they put down the cameras used when they were looking for Titanic..I dont understand all this but pray they all get saved..

Old 06-20-2023, 10:31 AM

102,204 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Did anyone notice the earlier post, where an article was linked to a prior incident with the same submersible, where there were technical difficulties? I wonder how reliable that vehicle was after that. Was the company relying on a vehicle that had issues, simply because they'd already invested so much money in it, and needed to continue doing "tours" to recoup their investment and make a profit?

More info needed.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:07 AM

13,246 posts, read 7,304,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Two part mini-documentary by the BBC on the company/submersible - the second video features video of another journey they took where they start having problems with the thrusters while down on the bottom of the sea. It gives you a terrifying taste of what they might be going through at this very minute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLI9SpUDdwo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLOhOAJV5II

BBC took down these videos. I bet CEO called them wanted them pulled due to pending lawsuits will be coming. Censorship all these big media companies is typical.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:08 AM

78,373 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I was trained to use underwater hydrophones. Sound travels well underwater, but not all frequencies of our audio band. Some phonics get distorted.

Generally you pause after each word, as sometimes there will be an echo that walks on the next word.

While submerged on the AUTEC range we may communicate with the range safety officer via hydrophones to coordinate when we can fire at the next surface target.
I'd think that if the sub had sudden decompression, if there were any USN subs in the area they may have heard the blast? But it's a big ocean and I'm not sure how far away something like that might be heard.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:13 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I'd think that if the sub had sudden decompression, if there were any USN subs in the area they may have heard the blast? But it's a big ocean and I'm not sure how far away something like that might be heard.
To answer that question..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOSUS ......... or, at least, once we could.

Old 06-20-2023, 11:14 AM

14,773 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I have been following this on the news. It's So sad. I hope they find them alive.
This doesn't look too hopeful though.
(I am claustrophobic, just thinking about being on that submersible and what it must be like, is alone enough to make me want to throw up.)

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 06-20-2023 at 11:40 AM..

Old 06-20-2023, 11:27 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
There is a timeline of events:
4AM - sub is launched
5:45 - contact is lost
11:30 - Final Ping. The sub automatically sends a ping every 15 minutes. So it pinged for about 5 hours.
After that, it was a matter of announcing the loss and soliciting help.

It may never be found. They are looking for a 22 foot object in nearly complete darkness and have to search from close to surface - 12,000 feet away.
Took them long enough to find Titanic, which was huge.
I wonder what the difference is between losing contact and losing the pings? So, the sub was pinging from 5:45 to 11:30 but the crew was not communicating? That should be a red flag. They waited until 9:30 PM to call for help. If the sub did implode then it wouldn't continue to ping for six hours or so. But if something happened to the communications system or the crew, why would the automatic ping stop?
Moderators for US and World Forums

Old 06-20-2023, 11:53 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,542,738 times
Interview today with the journalist who went in this sub last year -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-6jjy3estY

Old 06-20-2023, 11:56 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1,000nm radius +/- 500nm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events