Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 09:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
You would be obligated to pay the utility bill as the owner if the tenant doesn't pay utilities as noted in any lease. Letting the bill go unpaid would get a shut off notice. The owner would still be on the hook for the unpaid bill and shut off. The tenant could, in theory, have the place condemned. There are tenant/ owner laws. As unfair as it is.
a squatter is not a tenant.
I can understand the owner being responsible for any outstanding fees when they have the power shut off. I mean not being legally able to shut off the utilities in your name at your property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 10:17 AM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendoMan View Post
That would be interesting if this guy didn't take 25 minutes to tell a four minute story.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:40 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I can understand the owner being responsible for any outstanding fees when they have the power shut off. I mean not being legally able to shut off the utilities in your name at your property.
Technically, a squatter is taking possession of a landlord or owners property. So, in essence, said squatter is claiming tenancy or ownership. Owner would have to serve notice. Ok, after time has elapsed from notice is ignored. Then owner has to go to court to enforce eviction of said squatter. If ruled in your favor, then magistrate will send sheriffs to physically evict said squatter. That's how an owner legally takes back possession of their property. Long convoluted process but that's the law. It hasn't gotten to that point but I have evicted a few so I know the process by rote.

Old 03-18-2024, 11:09 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Quote:

Tell that to the law makers lol

Old 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Technically, a squatter is taking possession of a landlord or owners property. So, in essence, said squatter is claiming tenancy or ownership. Owner would have to serve notice. Ok, after time has elapsed from notice is ignored. Then owner has to go to court to enforce eviction of said squatter. If ruled in your favor, then magistrate will send sheriffs to physically evict said squatter. That's how an owner legally takes back possession of their property. Long convoluted process but that's the law. It hasn't gotten to that point but I have evicted a few so I know the process by rote.
Takes possession, you mean steals. Again, why cant the owner shut off the utilities? There is no lease, no documents.
I can call the electric company and have them cut my power off.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Takes possession, you mean steals. Again, why cant the owner shut off the utilities? There is no lease, no documents.
I can call the electric company and have them cut my power off.
No lease? Ok, go to court and state your case. Sure, you could cut off utilities to the squatter but it's illegal to do that. Until the court grants you the right to take possession from the squatter, you are stuck.

Old 03-18-2024, 12:28 PM

Quote:
No lease? Ok, go to court and state your case. Sure, you could cut off utilities to the squatter but it's illegal to do that. Until the court grants you the right to take possession from the squatter, you are stuck.
Must depend on the state because in my state I can go to the electric company and cut off services. No court is necessary. Are the squatters going to sue me?

Old 03-18-2024, 12:33 PM

True, in NY, I believe you can turn off the electric but hot water and heat has to stay on. Another landlord that is in NY told me to stay out of the boroughs. It's not worth it to be a landlord there unless you are a big corporation. Mom and pops like myself are few and far between in NYC.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:32 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
True, in NY, I believe you can turn off the electric but hot water and heat has to stay on. Another landlord that is in NY told me to stay out of the boroughs. It's not worth it to be a landlord there unless you are a big corporation. Mom and pops like myself are few and far between in NYC.
I was briefly a landlord for one single apartment in a two family home in the Bronx. My mother-in-law had those tenants up there for 13 years. An apartment full attic use of the yard she allowed a pet, which actually violated the terms of the original lease. They paid $800 per month back in 2011 that was well below Market rent. She raised the rent once and 13 years a whole $25. We took over the house including the tenants. We did a top to bottom renovation for some needed things, and others just to do. Including the tenants apartment. We did not raise their rent at that time either even though we will go within our rights to do so. Well they decided couple of months into our ownership of the home. They aren’t gonna pay rent anymore. Took us over two years to get them out and during that time they and their dog trashed the newly renovated apartments. Never saw a penny. Suffice to say the apartment that empty until we sold the house several years later.

Old 03-18-2024, 01:47 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
The YouTube guy said it’s better to find a way to get into the house, change locks , install cameras ,alarm system ( they can’t shut down) and when the squatter calls the police and claims rights they are told it’s a civil matter and go to court. More often than not the squatter won’t bother and will move on. If they try to get back into the house the police can be called for breaking and entering.

I’d definately install an alarm system that I have control over and have that thing blasting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events