Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2024, 05:54 AM

3,942 posts, read 2,338,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
The YouTube guy said it’s better to find a way to get into the house, change locks , install cameras ,alarm system ( they can’t shut down) and when the squatter calls the police and claims rights they are told it’s a civil matter and go to court. More often than not the squatter won’t bother and will move on. If they try to get back into the house the police can be called for breaking and entering.

I’d definately install an alarm system that I have control over and have that thing blasting.
That's called breaking and entering. Since you don't have possession, you can't go in there without permission. Even if you have a key. You can't break a crime to get rid of a squatter. In theory. I remember a while back during the pandemic, a landlord somehow kidnapped his deadbeat tenants. Tied them up, blind folded them and dropped them off at the grave yard. I believe that was metaphor. Anyway, the landlord eventually was arrested but I understand his frustration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 09:35 AM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
https://nypost.com/2024/03/19/us-new...ith-squatters/ This is crazy.

Old 03-19-2024, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Nope this is the law. As I explained upthread, You can't just do what she did. She has to go through the courts. As a landlord myself, it's the cost of doing business. Sometimes in this business, you take a loss.

In New York City, a person can claim “squatter’s rights” after just 30 days of living at a property. Under the law, it is illegal for the homeowner to change the locks, turn off the utilities, or remove the belongings of the “tenants” from the property.

“By the time someone does their investigation, their work, and their job, it will be over 30 days and this man will still be in my home,” Andaloro said. “I’m really fearful that these people are going to get away with stealing my home,” she added. During the recent encounter at her home, Andaloro — who was armed with the deeds — was filmed entering the property after one of the apparent tenants left the front door open. After changing the locks, a man claiming to be on the lease — identified by the local outlet as Brian Rodriguez — returned to the property and barged through the front door.

“You shouldn’t be trying to steal my house,” a furious Andaloro yelled at him during the caught-on-camera ordeal. Following a flurry of 911 calls, responding cops told Andaloro she had to sort the saga out in housing court because it was considered a “landlord-tenant issue.”

Andaloro was ultimately arrested for unlawful eviction given she had changed the locks.

In addition to her arrest, Andaloro said she is being forced to start an eviction filing in court to settle the landlord-tenant dispute.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:05 PM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Nope this is the law. As I explained upthread, You can't just do what she did. She has to go through the courts. As a landlord myself, it's the cost of doing business. Sometimes in this business, you take a loss.

In New York City, a person can claim “squatter’s rights” after just 30 days of living at a property. Under the law, it is illegal for the homeowner to change the locks, turn off the utilities, or remove the belongings of the “tenants” from the property.

“By the time someone does their investigation, their work, and their job, it will be over 30 days and this man will still be in my home,” Andaloro said. “I’m really fearful that these people are going to get away with stealing my home,” she added. During the recent encounter at her home, Andaloro — who was armed with the deeds — was filmed entering the property after one of the apparent tenants left the front door open. After changing the locks, a man claiming to be on the lease — identified by the local outlet as Brian Rodriguez — returned to the property and barged through the front door.

“You shouldn’t be trying to steal my house,” a furious Andaloro yelled at him during the caught-on-camera ordeal. Following a flurry of 911 calls, responding cops told Andaloro she had to sort the saga out in housing court because it was considered a “landlord-tenant issue.”

Andaloro was ultimately arrested for unlawful eviction given she had changed the locks.

In addition to her arrest, Andaloro said she is being forced to start an eviction filing in court to settle the landlord-tenant dispute.
Cops are sadly correct. In NYC, squatters or any actual tenant/landlord issues are civil and not criminal in nature. Even when someone has planted themselves in your property.

Old 03-19-2024, 08:12 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Maybe these squatters should start mysteriously disappearing.
UFO sighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Takes possession, you mean steals. Again, why cant the owner shut off the utilities? There is no lease, no documents.
I can call the electric company and have them cut my power off.
I have a crazy idea. States can change the squat laws, make it what it is, breaking and entering. Prison 5-10, 3 squares and a bunk.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post

I have a crazy idea. States can change the squat laws, make it what it is, breaking and entering. Prison 5-10, 3 squares and a bunk.
If only. Would love for this law to go to ALL state legislatures. Hey, we can dream.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:29 AM

3,642 posts, read 1,596,995 times
Quote:
That's called breaking and entering. Since you don't have possession, you can't go in there without permission. Even if you have a key. You can't break a crime to get rid of a squatter. In theory. I remember a while back during the pandemic, a landlord somehow kidnapped his deadbeat tenants. Tied them up, blind folded them and dropped them off at the grave yard. I believe that was metaphor. Anyway, the landlord eventually was arrested but I understand his frustration.
Maybe that's the law but possession of someone else's property without permission is what I call theft. If someone takes possession of your car it's not theft? It's crazy to see police chase a stolen car but just stand there when someone steals a house.

Owning property should mean the right to possession of your property, if it doesn't harm anyone to do so. Proving you are the owner should be enough. If a squatter claims to be a tenant they have to prove that as well- show s signed lease. If both have what seems to be legit documents then off to court.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:41 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
I would imagine the squatters broke and entered. Once you are in, you have possession. If the cops cant do anything about the squatters being in the house, they cant do anything about you being in the house.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
UFO sighting.

Some states are now taking a serious look at their laws and moving to make such changes. I think many if not most states require a squatter to actually live in the residence many years (5-7), getting them out seems to be the problem.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:30 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
The laws need to be changed. Period.

It's exactly stuff like this that leads to vigilantism. The law is supposed to protect the innocent and punish the guilty. But when criminals use the law to victimize innocent people, and the law refuses to protect these victims, the frustration builds and eventually people start taking the law into their own hands. That's exactly what's going to happen with these squatter issues. If the powers-that-be don't want to see a lot of "street justice," they'd better get off their backsides and start changing the laws to make them fair to the aggrieved parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events