Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 05:51 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,983,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
What is the major difference between city lighting 40 years ago and today? White glaring light was once used to light up the city versus a more pleasing yellow lighting today. In Dallas, they perch that type of lighting some 120 feet up in the air mainly around freeway interchanges. In Houston, they will perch it that high not just along the interchanges but along the whole lengths of most stretches of freeway. The Houston metropolitan area can better afford to do this because, though they are wider, it has less numbers of freeways than Dallas - Fort Worth.
Try visiting Monterrey Mexico. Similarly, I think you will find it more visually appealing than the city of Houston. There is a spontaniety to Houston because it has no zoning.
Try this sometime. The next time a tropical storm stalls out over Houston to dump massive amounts of rain on the area, find a good place along the San Jacinto River to park so you can watch half a million dollar houses go floating by.
nah, Im sure Ill be too busy admiring the lush vegetation left in the wake of such a deluge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 07:22 PM

Although none of these are by any means spectacular views, all of these were taken about 3 miles directly west of Tyler city limits.

I think there's a decent panorama in a couple of these...I'd have to go to south tyler to find any real lookouts though.

p.s. I apologize in advance for the crappy quality...most of these were taken while driving...additionally, I suck at photography

Attached Thumbnails
Why Aren't There More Tree/Green in Dallas Compare to Houston????-100_0661a.jpg   Why Aren't There More Tree/Green in Dallas Compare to Houston????-100_0662a.jpg   Why Aren't There More Tree/Green in Dallas Compare to Houston????-100_0677a.jpg   Why Aren't There More Tree/Green in Dallas Compare to Houston????-100_0679a.jpg   Why Aren't There More Tree/Green in Dallas Compare to Houston????-100_0683a.jpg  

Last edited by solytaire; 08-07-2010 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-07-2010, 09:31 PM

Here is footage of a short drive I did around the outer limits of west and northwest Tyler, if anyone cares to check them out...you kind of have to watch the whole thing to get the full effect though.

100_0674 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25190037@N07/4870177497/ - broken link)

100_0673 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25190037@N07/4870747744/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Last edited by solytaire; 08-07-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM

990 posts, read 2,306,248 times
Houston people. Good god.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Have you people been to Hill country??? Those little rolling hills don't compare.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,351,988 times
~

I live in an older subdivision in Dallas that has tons of huge trees.

Trees can be dangerous and are expensive to properly maintain.

Next time I move I will be looking for a house with no trees.

~

Old 08-08-2010, 12:30 PM

My only point was that similar views and hills can be found that resemble the hills in the clip shown earlier. so far I have found it to be true. If that clip was the hill country, then not only does East Texas compare but it compares pretty well...

And yes Ive been to the Hill Country when I was younger...I actually slept on the drive through most of it though.....Not that there was nothing to see, but I slept pretty much all the way from Austin to California during the trip. I remember some hills outside Austin, but nothing comparable to a mountainous region or a region with true hills...it looks a lot like southwest Missouri to me.

I remember a coworker from Alpharetta, GA right outside of Atlanta, who was an avid motorcyclist. He enjoyed riding through the Piedmont region and through the smokey mountains. He got to Houston an did nothing but complain about the flat featureless terrain of Houston and Texas in general. Everybody told him that "Texas does have some pretty large hills. You just HAVE to go to the Hill Country...you'll love it!..Its sooo hilly..theyve got huge hills that you'll really enjoy biking on. Its probably much more like what you're used to back home."

Dude went to the Huntsville area, and wasnt impressed, which was to be expected. Then he said he went to the Hill Country, and said it is pathetic that Texans consider those hills. He showed me pictures of real elevation from when he had been riding in NC...yeah, I would have to agree with him...Texans sound silly squabbling over these anthills that out of staters laugh at either way. My coworker quit and moved back home Asap...hes back in Atlanta now.

Old 08-08-2010, 01:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,261,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
My only point was that similar views and hills can be found that resemble the hills in the clip shown earlier. so far I have found it to be true. If that clip was the hill country, then not only does East Texas compare but it compares pretty well...

And yes Ive been to the Hill Country when I was younger...I actually slept on the drive through most of it though.....Not that there was nothing to see, but I slept pretty much all the way from Austin to California during the trip. I remember some hills outside Austin, but nothing comparable to a mountainous region or a region with true hills...it looks a lot like southwest Missouri to me.

I remember a coworker from Alpharetta, GA right outside of Atlanta, who was an avid motorcyclist. He enjoyed riding through the Piedmont region and through the smokey mountains. He got to Houston an did nothing but complain about the flat featureless terrain of Houston and Texas in general. Everybody told him that "Texas does have some pretty large hills. You just HAVE to go to the Hill Country...you'll love it!..Its sooo hilly..theyve got huge hills that you'll really enjoy biking on. Its probably much more like what you're used to back home."

Dude went to the Huntsville area, and wasnt impressed, which was to be expected. Then he said he went to the Hill Country, and said it is pathetic that Texans consider those hills. He showed me pictures of real elevation from when he had been riding in NC...yeah, I would have to agree with him...Texans sound silly squabbling over these anthills that out of staters laugh at either way. My coworker quit and moved back home Asap...hes back in Atlanta now.
Texas has mountains larger than that of NC in the west; it's his fault for nothing exploring it. You just don't want to admit the truth, because those hills in East Texas are noting like hill country. Now I agree that the Hill Country don't compare to the mountians in the SE, but the ones in West Texas do.

Hill Country:

LLano uplift - Google Maps

Texas Mountains:

Ignore the Llano uplift part; they are all different areas.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Texas has mountains larger than that of NC in the west; it's his fault for nothing exploring it. You just don't want to admit the truth, because those hills in East Texas are noting like hill country. Now I agree that the Hill Country don't compare to the mountians in the SE, but the ones in West Texas do.

Hill Country:

Texas Mountains:

Ignore the Llano uplift part; they are all different areas.
There's no other truth to admit other than the Hill Country is hilly...and East Texas is hilly as well...you seem to act as if the two are mutually exclusive...I mean, what else do you want to hear?..."The hill country is leaps and bounds more mountainous than any other area of Texas"?.....Its not to me...The first set of images could easily be somewhere in east Texas. The Hill Country is plenty hilly, per its moniker, but my point is that East Texas has hills as well...To be honest, Im not even the right one to debate this topic as I dislike hills altogether, and find them to be grossly overrated...even in regions with true elevation.
Quote:

Texas has mountains larger than that of NC in the west
No argument here, although I think his point was that, being in Houston, he didnt want to have to drive a 24 hour round trip across the state to find a mountain....If he was going to do that then he might as well have just driven back home to Georgia...which he eventually did. He always reminded us that, in a place like Atlanta, he was never more than a couple of hours away from the mountains.

Last edited by solytaire; 08-08-2010 at 02:50 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM

922 posts, read 1,701,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Nifty View Post
There are supposed to be alligators living somewhere in the vast urban forest of deep south Dallas.
Lemmon Lake and further south from there is where more can be found.
At the end of Simpson Stuart Rd. there's a sign warning you that the area is an alligator habitat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas