Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 10,049 times

Advertisements

I've lived in NYC the majority of my life, and ATL for the last few years. I've heard amazing things about Dallas, and fortunately my company has relocated me there in Sept.

I'm interested in living in a vibrant, young, and safe area with a fun nightlife and good food options. Also, I'm hoping that I can spend under $800/month as I may be traveling frequently. Based on some googleing, I can tell that Uptown or Addison is where I want to be. These two "neighborhoods" are pretty big though.

Can anyone give me suggestions of specifically where to look within these areas? Maybe certain streets, or apartment buildings?

My office will be in Addison (right by the airport), but I will be taking my car to Dallas so I'm okay with a minor commute.

I appreciate the help, and look forward to joining you in Dallas shortly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 12:38 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
What kind of vibe are you seeking? Uptown and Addison are very different places. As a former New Yorker I can tell you that I would be bored to death in Addison (it's a suburb, not a neighborhood). However, you may feel differently. Addison does have lots of bars and restaurants along Belt Line Rd. and it would certainly be convenient for your work. The rents should be cheaper than Uptown too. Most of it is not very walk-able, except for the Addison Circle area where there are Post apartments as well as shops & restaurants.

Uptown has everything you say you are looking for plus it is also walkable (or take the McKinney Ave. trolley for free) and there are a couple of DART rail stations in Uptown. You can probably find an older property in Uptown for $800 and it is a reverse commute to your job in Addison. While it's nowhere near as bustling as Manhattan, it's the most vibrant and densely populated area of Dallas. McKinney Ave. is the main corridor through Uptown and it is lined with apartment complexes. There are many more on the side streets. Sorry, but I can't name places that would be under $800 but I suspect that there are some out there.

If you prefer more of a city vibe and Uptown is cost prohibitive, then my next suggestion would be in an adjacent 'hood called Oak Lawn. There are several new-ish apartment complexes there (the Seville is one) and lots of 1920's duplexes and triplexes in North Oak Lawn (north of Lemmon Ave.) on streets like Hawthorne, Prescott & Herschel. Rentals there can best be found by walking or driving up those streets and calling the phone numbers listed on the signs. That area has great ambience and it's just blocks away from uber-wealthy Highland Park. Both Uptown and Oak Lawn are very convenient to each other as well as the Dallas North Tollway (for easy access to your job). Welcome!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Urban = Uptown > < Addison = Suburban

Old 08-01-2010, 03:33 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Dallas native gave you great advice. Check North Oak Lawn for affordable apartments. There is a landlord there with the last name Holmes who owns a ton of properties in the area. He has owned them forever so his rents are quite affordable. My friends rent a HUGE charming 1br that is the upstairs floor of a 1920's duplex- huge living/dining room with fireplace, big bedroom, eat-in kitchen with laundry, and a study with the original built-in bookcases, and a garage & shared small yard. They pay $900.

You can hop on the tollroad in the morning and be in Addison in 10-15 minutes, door to door.

North Oak Lawn is a great neighborhood- walkable to Whole Foods, adjacent to uber safe and wealthy Highland Park (think Greenwich, Scarsdale, Short Hills), and an under 5 minute drive - or cab ride- to everything in Uptown.

I lived in NYC for 4 years and think you would probably like the area a lot, unless you are ready for suburban life. A huge chunk of the 20- and 30-something professional population in Dallas lives in Uptown and the adjacent neighborhoods (Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson, M Streets, Deep Ellum, & Downtown).

Old 08-01-2010, 08:09 PM

3 posts, read 10,049 times
Thanks a lot. That is great information. I'll start looking around North Oak Land. Those 20s' duplexes sound like a perfect option. I should have mentioned it, but I'm currently abroad (and will be until I get into Dallas) so that I why I'm so eager to gain this valuable information before landing in Dallas.

Dallas Native: Regarding the vibe, I'm from NY but I do appreciate getting away from the hustle and bustle. I'm interested in living in a place with a lot of social options around me (primarily bars and good food joints) but also with a fair share of culture and natural beauty (parks, jogging trails).This will be helpful as I do not really know anyone in this city.

One other place that I have heard about is "The Villages". They looked very nice, and fun for a new comer to Dallas. Do you have any thoughts regarding those?

Old 08-02-2010, 10:40 AM

326 posts, read 962,516 times
Here's a list of places in downtown/uptown, which would be a bit more urban and walkable to shops/restaurants/nightlife.

Residences | Downtown Dallas

Old 08-02-2010, 11:01 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YP_MovingtoDallas View Post
Thanks a lot. That is great information. I'll start looking around North Oak Land. Those 20s' duplexes sound like a perfect option. I should have mentioned it, but I'm currently abroad (and will be until I get into Dallas) so that I why I'm so eager to gain this valuable information before landing in Dallas.

Dallas Native: Regarding the vibe, I'm from NY but I do appreciate getting away from the hustle and bustle. I'm interested in living in a place with a lot of social options around me (primarily bars and good food joints) but also with a fair share of culture and natural beauty (parks, jogging trails).This will be helpful as I do not really know anyone in this city.

One other place that I have heard about is "The Villages". They looked very nice, and fun for a new comer to Dallas. Do you have any thoughts regarding those?
Inner-city Dallas and Addison (especially) will both be an escape from the hustle and bustle of NYC. There is nothing here that compares to NYC in that regard. If you want to be near bars and restaurants, then N. Oak Lawn will be within walking distance of several restaurants (La Duni, Mint Thai, Al Biernat's, Eddie V's) and a short bike ride or drive to dozens more. Uptown is within walking distance of MANY more bars & restaurants. If you are looking for a jogging trail, then both Uptown and Oak Lawn are convenient to the Katy Trail which is an old railroad line that was converted to a jogging/roller-blading/biking trail through the heart of Dallas www.katytraildallas.org. For natural beauty wander down Turtle Creek Blvd Home Page - Join Us Today! which divides Uptown from Oak Lawn and parallels the Katy Trail for a mile or so. For cultural amenities, you'll find the Dallas Arts District Dallas Arts District adjacent to Uptown and a short distance from Oak Lawn. The American Airlines Center www.americanairlinescenter.com/ is on the western edge of Uptown if you want to see professional basketball, hockey or concerts. The Village apartments are located about 4 miles north of Downtown Dallas on the east side of Central Expressway (US-75). It's a nice area with plenty of restaurant and retail choices and the apartments are definitely affordable and occupied by lots of young singles, but it has a much more generic vibe than Uptown or N. Oak Lawn.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 PM

36 posts, read 148,800 times
Northern Oak Lawn does sound like your best bet. Addison would of course be close to work, but there are no real parks or trails. You would have a reverse commute up the Dallas North Tollway to your work.

The Village might be something to look at as well. It's a huge singles apartment area with its own intramural fields. White Rock Lake, with its 10 mile long trail is not far away.

Old 08-08-2010, 03:55 PM

7 posts, read 13,069 times
Uptown is great but finding something for under $800 is going to be difficult. Oak Lawn and Addison would be good options and there are a few other neighborhoods tucked away here and there that would be doable for your price pointl.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 08-08-2010 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Advertising not allowed

Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 5,059 times
Welcome and good luck. Dallas is a great and BIG place. Prices for apartments here have been on the rise in a big way due to all the people moving here and moving out of homes. Oaklawn, Uptown, Park cities are all very nice places with very nice price tags. You can find a place in those areas for your price but they will be older and not exactly nice. The Addison area is not suburban at all. I am an apartment locator and I've put many people 21 to 27 in that area. And there are some excellent deals on some place there. But if you try to rent right in Addison Circle, it will be on a scale just like Uptown. Uptown is not the end all, be all of Dallas. It's a nice place to visit. You need to find a good locator to help you. You will know they are good when they don't try to push you into the higher priced places and areas and show you some good options that are close. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas