Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter2010 View Post
Do ya'll know any good and reasonable cost apartments near SMU/The Village?

Yes, look along University between Greenville and Skillman. Good area- safe, on Mustang bus route, most building are in good condition. You're probably looking at $90-150k range though. Not sure if that qualifies as reasonable to you. Lots of SMU students (grad and undergrad) in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 10:39 PM

885 posts, read 1,553,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Yes, look along University between Greenville and Skillman. Good area- safe, on Mustang bus route, most building are in good condition. You're probably looking at $90-150k range though. Not sure if that qualifies as reasonable to you. Lots of SMU students (grad and undergrad) in the area.

Isn't that the "dangerous" area that everyone was talking about? Both of these two condos are in that area.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...206_1121066772

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...206_1114485604

Last edited by Winter2010; 08-10-2010 at 10:51 PM..

Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times

No, the sketchy area is where the Garrett Streer condo is that you posted earlier- off of Ross Ave & Fitzhugh in East Dallas.

These are probably ok, though I don't know the in's and out's of every complex along University. You should check the city of Dallas's interactive crime map to see how safe these condos are. From what I know from driving through the area is that the complexes that face University tend to be the nicest/ most well-kept.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 AM

76 posts, read 248,602 times
Quote:
Wouldn't owning this condo be 50% or more cheapter than renting in the surrounding area?

The mortgage would only be $110. Even if the HOA fee is $350, the total payment is only $460. Wouldn't that be so much cheaper than renting a similiar size apartment for up to $800 a month?

1503 N Garrett Avenue Unit: 204, Dallas, TX, 75206 - MLS #11348106 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®#
A cheap property like this has the potential to be a millstone around your neck.

Renting = freedom. Don't like your neighbors? Feel unsafe? Commute getting to you? Move.

But if you've got all your money tied up in this unit, you are stuck. And the price indicates that the demand for such units in this area is approaching zero, so your chances of selling it to someone else and getting your money back is also approaching zero.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:18 AM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTaMove View Post
A cheap property like this has the potential to be a millstone around your neck.
Obviously you've never been to this area, otherwise you wouldn't think this.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
Obviously you've never been to this area, otherwise you wouldn't think this.
So, this area is not ghetto at all?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
So, this area is not ghetto at all?

I wouldn't be investing in owning property on Garrett Street. I live on Bryan, which is a cross street to Garrett. I live across from the park, and I have dogs that I have to walk in that park everyday, and it is not great. I have to take my dogs out at night and I try to make it as quick as possible.

There are several section 8 places over here, and that particular building strikes me as one of them. I see who and what hangs out on Garrett everyday, in front of and around that building. There are several people here, my landlord and immediate neighbor included, that have and are trying to make this area a lot better then it is now. It has come along and has changed quite a bit over the last few years, but it is not at a great place yet. There is a building on the corner of Garrett and Bryan that use to be a halfway house that they just shut down within the last year and a half. The building is still standing, and I'm positive there are squatters in and out of it all the time.

I wouldn't deter you from renting in this area, because as someone else stated when you rent you have the option to move if you don't like it, but as far as purchasing a condo or a home, I wouldn't do it and I know a lot of people wouldn't do it, especially ON Garrett. I have seen more ghetto areas then this area, I grew up in Los Angeles, but this isn't the burbs, this isn't "lower greenville" this isn't downtown. I think right now we're stuck in the middle of ghetto and getting out of it. There are a few nice houses, a few nice apartments and the rest are run down, have alcoholics and drug addicts living in them, and hanging out in the park. Police drive down these streets more times a day than I can count on my hands making sure there is no "trouble" going on. Just last year they were doing a prostitution sting on the perimeter of the park, so if that doesn't tell you anything I don't know what else to say.

*edit* If you're interested in investing in property in this immediate area someone had mentioned on the other side of Greenville off of La Vista or even Matilda. There have been some newer condos built and those neighborhoods are a little bit better than the one that this particular condo is in. If you've never lived in this area before I would suggest renting a place first to see if you even like it, and then purchase something after a year of renting. Personally if I were to buy property in this area it would be closer to Skillman Ave. Also, look up crime maps with the address of the condo on Garrett and the surrounding streets. Just the other day I got a post card in the mail notifying us of a sex offender living a few streets down. Come to find out there are several living just on Bryan St and Garrett.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaime_mac View Post
I wouldn't be investing in owning property on Garrett Street.
Let's totally forget about Garrett Street. Let's talk about Skillman and Amesbury Road. Are these two property in good location? They seem to be very cheap too.

4933 Skillman Street Unit: 150, Dallas, TX, 75206 - MLS #11453721 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

5130 Amesbury Unit: 201, Dallas, TX, 75206 - MLS #11312540 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 08-12-2010, 06:01 AM

76 posts, read 248,602 times
jaime-mac, I'm confused. Given your last post, why do you disagree with my statement?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:33 AM

Quote:
I have a friend that lives off of University in a condo with her husband and she loves it, except the HOA. I myself would feel safer in that area at night and investing in a condo. I've recall seeing those properties passing by them on the street and they seem nice and don't have all the hubub gathered around it like the one on Garrett.

Quote:
jaime-mac, I'm confused. Given your last post, why do you disagree with my statement?
I disagree with this quote
Quote:
because that particular condo in the area that it is in is not safe. It may have potential in 15+ years, but not anytime soon. I don't see this area turning around to be a great place to live and feel safe in for a long time. I wouldn't be wasting that much money on something that I would not feel safe living in because of the area and the people in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas