Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:53 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,967 times

Advertisements

Master up is harder to come by...it's just not as desirable in this area. We have friends with a master up (they liked when kids were small, but not now that kids are a bit older) and they are having a difficult time selling.

Resale is important...But, if you LOVE having a master up, then IMO, the value of having what you want outweighs the hit you might take on resale in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 04:57 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
I know most buyers in Texas prefer it down correct? Interested to hear more on this from people who have bought and sold, lived in texas for a long time. Whats the perspective on MB up? I found this house, looks perfect, great price point, nothing wrong with it whatsoever, but master is up and it's been on the market 300 days!

Sign or the times? Or could does a MB up slow a sale down that much?
Master down is a big factor in resale. Most people (and everyone over 35) prefer master down. That's one of the 1st things I ask a client.

We have some friends over this weekend. They have the master up and hate it. Most people hate doing stairs after awhile and like the separation of having kids upstairs.

Master up is sometimes preferable by brand new & young parents. That's about it.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Master down is a big factor in resale. Most people (and everyone over 35) prefer master down. That's one of the 1st things I ask a client.

We have some friends over this weekend. They have the master up and hate it. Most people hate doing stairs after awhile and like the separation of having kids upstairs.

Master up is sometimes preferable by brand new & young parents. That's about it.
Thanks Rakin, good information here. We will try not to compromise on this.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,213,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skids929 View Post
Thanks Rakin, good information here. We will try not to compromise on this.
Most good builders around here now built very few masters up. The only real advantage I see putting the master up is it allows for the master to be larger in size. By the time you squeeze in all the rooms downstairs and a garage there's not much room to make any room oversize. Especially since the lots have shrunk to the bare minimum.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
having a master up AND a laundry room up with a guest bed down would be ok for a young family with smaller children
I would not want my kids under 7 even being upstairs and me being down--too many things that could go wrong...
but having one guest room down gives you an option if you have older guests or newly weds come to visit--or even someone with a medical problem who has trouble going up stairs
I have had three friends who have had either a broken ankle, torn ligaments, or knee surgery and had to wear the big leg braces--
it was easier on all of them to be on ground floor--of course they all HAD single story homes but the problem would have been worse if they had a master up

Old 08-25-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Most good builders around here now built very few masters up. The only real advantage I see putting the master up is it allows for the master to be larger in size. By the time you squeeze in all the rooms downstairs and a garage there's not much room to make any room oversize. Especially since the lots have shrunk to the bare minimum.

Right, problem is I am not looking (and don't even prefer) new construction. I couldn't touch it is in FM anyway. Most of the homes are late 90's and new vintage. Not sure when the MB down trend started in DFW area. A good many of the ones I have seen have it down though, just found one that was so immaculate, well priced in Bridlewood but MB was up.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
I live in a new development area, and master up is very common.

Personal preference.

What area are you in? County, neighborhood?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM

509 posts, read 1,262,697 times
We have a master up and I'm glad we do. I had no idea it was going to be a negative thing until I started reading comments on this site. At the time we bought our house we had a 1 year old w/one on the way and more to come in the future. I did not want to wake up in the middle of the night 3 or so times, go upstairs and everything else that comes w/taking care of young children. Besides, I'm very paranoid and want to know/hear every movement. So the closer we were to them (are to them) the better for me. Now my oldest is 9, then 8 and then twins who are 5. We could use another bedroom but other than that, I'm still glad that they are near me.
So when it comes time to sell, we know who we need to market our house to. Other than having a master up, everything else about our house is great-particularly location.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,261,385 times
The best floorplan that sells real fast is the one with the master plus another bedroom on the first floor. The second bedroom can be used as a nursery when the kids are young then they move upstairs as they get older. Then it becomes the guest room for the elderly family that can't do stairs.

I participated in many focus groups with builders and this is a major trend that we see from many buyers these days.

Naima

Old 08-25-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moorhen3 View Post
We have a master up and I'm glad we do. I had no idea it was going to be a negative thing until I started reading comments on this site. At the time we bought our house we had a 1 year old w/one on the way and more to come in the future. I did not want to wake up in the middle of the night 3 or so times, go upstairs and everything else that comes w/taking care of young children. Besides, I'm very paranoid and want to know/hear every movement. So the closer we were to them (are to them) the better for me. Now my oldest is 9, then 8 and then twins who are 5. We could use another bedroom but other than that, I'm still glad that they are near me.
So when it comes time to sell, we know who we need to market our house to. Other than having a master up, everything else about our house is great-particularly location.

Thanks Moorhen..Are you from another region of the country originally? Do you live in a suburb of Dallas now? We have twins too! A 3 year old and two soon to be 1 year old twinnies! Its nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas