Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 04:51 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,730 times

Advertisements

Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
it just sounded to me like they wantes a "self-sufficient" type of establishment--
that means raising your own food with enough chickes to supply eggs (and meat) and land for gardening and then room for cow (dairy) and horse
that takes a lot of work--you are going to be very hardpressed to do what needs to be done IN and OUT of the house--especially if you are homeschooling--
but I guess you can get the kids to work with the farm too if they are home during the day...
I hope you are prepared to do most of it since your husband is going to be driving to the office M-F
working weekends only won't cut it...

Oh, come on now! 0.2 acre is all you need

Chickens, goats, veggies, and more!

Last edited by tyanger; 09-04-2010 at 05:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:16 PM

677 posts, read 1,539,014 times
Check out Rockwall. It's nice out here.

www.hearrockwall.org For home-school info.

www.lakepointe.org for church.

Google 379 Hackberry Creek McClendon Chisholm

5 acre horse farm, nice home and pool for $319,000

You could probably find something less expensive further out from the Rockwall ISD. The price goes up and so do your taxes.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-05-2010, 09:16 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the cost of land is expensive--you can't do what you want with that home/farm with less than 3 acres probably--I don't know much about farming but animals do take space and communities usually have zoning rules about how much space per animal type-=-
like 1 horse per acre and probably more than that for a cow
some places allow chickens but no roosters which makes having more than one batch of chickes a problem since you have to buy fertilized eggs or baby chicks

and frankly the photo that was posted was a picture of the house that used to be used on Dallas tv show I think--so it is NOT what you are looking for...

Google up where your husband's job location is
then punch in some rural areas--MayPearl is NOT close to Dallas--my realtor who worked in Colleyville had a place there and would drive in to Colleyville 3 or 4 times a week depending on if she stayed there or at her Bedford house--it was a 45 min drive one way and that was not to Dallas

then Google for some farm/ranch real estate sites--like lands of texas
that has listings by county, by region, by price

and run a search to see what you can get
I think you are going to be surprised at how expensive some place with a moderate size house that is semi updated and 10 acres will cost...and most of them are not working farms -- they might be horse properties with barns and cooling sheds or just houses on land
the land might be pretty crappy to try to farm too...
you will need a good water well and a decent septic system and electric provider, good road access to-
getting a decent county hospital might be a problem as well
I don't believe the OP ever mentioned the word 'farm' in her post. A few acres with a cow, a few horses, some chickens is most definitely not a 'farm'.

Colleyville is in Tarrant County whereas Maypearl is in Ellis County and yes that's a good commute between these two towns and neither of them are Dallas. Colleyville is north, Maypearl is south and there's a whole lot of 'town' in between.

I think she was just trying to get a sense of how things might be around the area. I can see wanting a few acres and home and yet still be within a reasonable driving range to Dallas and yes, it is possible. The closer in you get to Dallas the more expensive the land will be, so it's going to be a trade-off. A longer commute and you will be able to afford a little more acreage or a nicer house, etc.

I think it's great that they want a few acres to have some horses, chickens, etc. That is one of the best things you can do for kids in my opinion. Teaches them things they will never learn in a schoolhouse. It gives them a sense of responsibility and pride and helps promote love and compassion in kids to have their own animals and care for them.

I had 3 acres inside the city limits of Arlington and had my horse, a couple of calves and at times a cow and calf, chickens and a huge garden and best of all, a little breathing space!

As far as septic and water, since it sounds like they are not going to build, but buy an existing home, there shouldn't be a problem. If there is a problem with the septic system, it isn't something the sellers can hide. The same goes with the water.

As with anything worthwhile, it will take some time and work to find what they want, but they should be able to do so. I have cousins in Edgewood that he commuted to the Naval Air Station in Grand Prairie everyday. I have friends in Canton who commute to Dallas everyday. I have friends who have 230 acres in Alvarado and he owns his own business and drives into Dallas and/or Fort Worth everyday. I have 22 acres in Burleson and it is not a bad drive into either Dallas or Fort Worth. I live about 6 miles from I35 and about the same distance from I20 and Hwy 67 is not far from me either. What I'm trying to say is, things are not as remote as they might seem. There's usually a freeway somewhere close by, so once you reach it, just scoot on down to where you need to be.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 19,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I don't believe the OP ever mentioned the word 'farm' in her post. A few acres with a cow, a few horses, some chickens is most definitely not a 'farm'.

Colleyville is in Tarrant County whereas Maypearl is in Ellis County and yes that's a good commute between these two towns and neither of them are Dallas. Colleyville is north, Maypearl is south and there's a whole lot of 'town' in between.

I think she was just trying to get a sense of how things might be around the area. I can see wanting a few acres and home and yet still be within a reasonable driving range to Dallas and yes, it is possible. The closer in you get to Dallas the more expensive the land will be, so it's going to be a trade-off. A longer commute and you will be able to afford a little more acreage or a nicer house, etc.

I think it's great that they want a few acres to have some horses, chickens, etc. That is one of the best things you can do for kids in my opinion. Teaches them things they will never learn in a schoolhouse. It gives them a sense of responsibility and pride and helps promote love and compassion in kids to have their own animals and care for them.

I had 3 acres inside the city limits of Arlington and had my horse, a couple of calves and at times a cow and calf, chickens and a huge garden and best of all, a little breathing space!

As far as septic and water, since it sounds like they are not going to build, but buy an existing home, there shouldn't be a problem. If there is a problem with the septic system, it isn't something the sellers can hide. The same goes with the water.

As with anything worthwhile, it will take some time and work to find what they want, but they should be able to do so. I have cousins in Edgewood that he commuted to the Naval Air Station in Grand Prairie everyday. I have friends in Canton who commute to Dallas everyday. I have friends who have 230 acres in Alvarado and he owns his own business and drives into Dallas and/or Fort Worth everyday. I have 22 acres in Burleson and it is not a bad drive into either Dallas or Fort Worth. I live about 6 miles from I35 and about the same distance from I20 and Hwy 67 is not far from me either. What I'm trying to say is, things are not as remote as they might seem. There's usually a freeway somewhere close by, so once you reach it, just scoot on down to where you need to be.
This is EXACTLY what I was asking about in my original post. We are NOT interested in running a farm by any means. We currently live in city limits and we have a small fruit orchard, large garden, free-range chickens, dogs and the kids. All on one-third of an acre. The children are learning to be self-sufficient by working the land and growing some of their own food. Not to mention the lessons in responsibility. We absolutely love our tiny little homestead and would like to do the same there in TX but slightly larger. I'm not talking huge here folks, just enough to duplicate what we already have plus the ability to have a MINI dairy cow (yes, we have researched this thoroughly, and are well aware of what kind of maintenance and upkeep are required.) And calf. Mini's (Dexter) only require 1 acre each, though we would prefer to have slightly more so we would be able to rotate their pasture. As for a horse well, that's still up in the air. But again, it would be nice to have the space if we decide later on to go that route.

Thank you for you understanding, support and the helpful information provided.
Off the do more research...........

Old 09-06-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
Check out Rockwall. It's nice out here.

HEAR For home-school info.

Lake Pointe Church for church.

Google 379 Hackberry Creek McClendon Chisholm

5 acre horse farm, nice home and pool for $319,000

You could probably find something less expensive further out from the Rockwall ISD. The price goes up and so do your taxes.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great info here! I really appreciate the links, that's very helpful.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post

Oh, come on now! 0.2 acre is all you need

Chickens, goats, veggies, and more!
I've seen that video, very inspiring. We are not quite that "green".
I still really like our green grass and tropical foliage for our "hanging out" area of the yard.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:25 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,617,748 times
You should find LOTS of choices in your price range within a reasonable commute. I'd go to realtor.com and plug in your parameters with respect to lot size and price in the cities you are interested in. The widest selection will be to points generally to the northeast, east, southeast, and south. Towns like Wylie, Forney, Terrell, Waxahachie, Red Oak, McKinney, Parker, etc. will be good places to start, and it will depend on where he works in Dallas on how long the commute will be. Many typical subdivision homes on acreage will allow some types of animals like a horse or two, but usually not farm animals, but you could check on that. Outside of developed subdivisions you should find a few choices as well and those will be the ones where you can have a cow, chickens, goats, etc.. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2010, 02:11 AM

434 posts, read 1,482,619 times
Default here is an option way out there-- 50 miles north

50 miles north of Dallas there is an area called Blue Ridge where there is an "equestrian" acreage development that started a few years ago with 1-10 acre lots .. Check it out...

http://www.blueridgetexas.us/

http://www.trailsofblueridge.com/

I am sure you may find better deals but I thought I would share this one you

Good luck

Old 09-08-2010, 07:41 PM

207 posts, read 506,607 times
just moved from waxahachie and maypearl would probably be ok. they supposedly have a decent school district. probably 35 minutes from downtown dallas. waxahachie is as far south as DFW pretty much goes. it is still coutry down there but there is everything you need as well.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 PM

207 posts, read 506,607 times
you can also try midlothian or go more northeast and look at heath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas