Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 PM

355 posts, read 469,659 times

Advertisements

I'm glad this city is making great strides to become more urban. Dallas just continues to get better and better, with so many things Dallas has done, is doing, and will do. Exceptional job, Dallas.

Next stop, DFW Airport and Downtown streetcars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:48 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Dallas has come such a long way as a region within the past 15 years. I always said that rail in dallas didnt seem like it was fitting for the fourth largest metro. Now its finally taking shape!
Did you mean, "I always thought rail in Dallas seemed like it was fitting for the fourth largest metro"?

Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
While your system is huge , your ridership levels are pathetic and laughable.... The Dallas Metro needs to step it up and do some serious infill around the stations or stop expanding....

Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM

72 posts, read 216,507 times
Can DART actually make money in the future? I would rather to see those money put into our highway system.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea82 View Post
Can DART actually make money in the future? I would rather to see those money put into our highway system.

Highways are already pretty wide all over. How much bigger can we make them?

Quote:
While your system is huge , your ridership levels are pathetic and laughable.... The Dallas Metro needs to step it up and do some serious infill around the stations or stop expanding....
Dallas is a car cultured city. It has never known anything else. I think given time more other people will opt to use this rather than sit in traffic. In the meantime, I don't care what other people do. I will use it. I just wish it served East Dallas better. Then I might never drive anywhere!

They also need to run trains around the clock. It would be great if I could take the train to a bar and stay until closing time. I guess ridership levels would need to be higher to warrant the cost.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:29 PM

6,698 posts, read 9,955,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
That's the whole point! Light rail will help spur development.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:58 PM

554 posts, read 1,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Nexis4Jersey, you've made your point twice on here, we suck compared to the east coast and we have work to do, blah blah blah. All this expansion is necessary in order to have a useful system that people will want to use. The Green and Orange lines will serve entirely new areas of the metro and they will be used, patience please. DART Rail has gone from non-existent to a 72 mile network with loads of potential in just 14 years. IMO that is impressive. Don't worry, plenty of money is being invested in in-fill around the stations but again, patience please.

Meanwhile, the NY and NJ rail transit systems have been around for over a century. Shouldn't they be the cleanest, most efficient, most technologically advanced rail transit systems on the planet by now???

Let's make a deal. DART will do its best to get the word out and educate the public about mass transit in order to increase ridership as well as promote urban density. NY/NJ will, in turn, strive to dethrone the London Underground and Paris Metro as the cleanest, most efficient, most technologically advanced rail transit systems on the planet.

Last edited by TowerGuy; 12-07-2010 at 10:14 PM..

Old 12-07-2010, 10:06 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,123,991 times
I'm envious of DART's ambition. I agree with Spade, the test begins when the novelty runs out. Hopefully, this expansion will actually lead a Texas city in the right direction when it comes to mobility.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,610,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGuy View Post
NY/NJ will, in turn, strive to dethrone the London Underground and Paris Metro as the cleanest, most efficient, most technologically advanced rail transit systems on the planet.
Let's not forget Tokyo.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:48 PM

446 posts, read 649,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea82 View Post
Can Interstate and U.S. Highways make money in the future?

That question could very legitimately be asked in response. Transportation systems, with the possible exception of toll roads, are not even really meant to make money. They are public goods; things the populace needs but that private companies are not very eager to invest in, because they are not very profitable.

That category includes transit systems, but also includes highways. The question of whether they will be able to make money is moot.

As for the point about the money having a better place in highways, think about this: there are many people, yours truly included, that cannot afford to drive and need transit to get around. We should not be left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas