Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:18 PM

29 posts, read 173,865 times

Advertisements

How about the weather. I understand that when it rains it rains but how often and what about tornadoes? how big and how often? I was told that tornadoes seem to do around that area due to the 2 lakes on each side. Is it always windy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 02:22 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
I have lived here my whole life and have never seen a tornado.

This summer is very unusual. I don't ever remember a summer like this. We have had record setting rain. Very strange.

Spring storms are great. Wind, rain, hail, dark clouds. It's all very exciting.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:40 PM

Here in Southern California people are materialistic, competitive, and unfriendly. How easy is it to make friends in Flower Mound? Are people friendly? (With all of you on this site it seems to be that way.)
My wife is worried about fitting into a new town because of pre-existing clicks. Also is it safe for your kids to play in the front yard too? Are there block parties, community gatherings, cook outs etc?
Thank you so much for being so great with all of your responses!!! You guys really make us eager to move out there…

Old 08-02-2007, 05:19 PM

11 posts, read 32,001 times
Another ex-Californian here. I used to live in Vancouver BC and when I moved to Napa, I thought people are so snooty. I don't like CA at all.

I live in Flower Mound now and I LOVE IT! My street had 2 block parties already and I've only been living here for over a year. I notice that's there's always a sign up at the entrance of our neighborhood to let you know what's happening, like today I saw something about Ladies brunch.

You need to really study the map of FlowerMound and figure out from there which neighborhood you'd want to be in. Where does your friend lives in FM? Houses here ranges from upper 200 to millions. If you like older homes, there's a lot of beautiful properties by the lake. Also, the traffic is terrible on 2499 from 5-7 pm. I hate wasting time sitting in the traffic, so we chose a house that's near 121 and 114. There are 2 Costco closeby, one in Southlake and one in Lewisville.

People are friendly, they stop and say hello when they see you in your front yard. Of course, there will always be people who couldn't be bothered to even wave at you when they see you. There's no such thing as a perfect society.

PM me if you need a good realtor. I found him online while searching for a house (we briefly lived in FL), he emailed me a lot of listings just to get familiar with what I'm getting for my money. 8 months after moving in to our house, our water heater broke, the American Home Shield gave us hell so I contacted our realtor to see what he can do, the very next day, we have a brand new heater installed at no cost to us. He went above and beyond the call of duty.

When are you guys thinking of moving?

Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 PM

I would like to thank you all for all the posting it really helps with our decision

Old 08-04-2007, 09:14 PM

18 posts, read 53,097 times
Welcome, and good luck. My wife, son and daughter all have advanced degrees from UNT. Don't discount UNT. Also, UNT has a medical school in Ft. Worth.

If I were moving now, I would probably choose Flower Mound for a community on the north side. The Lakeside area is nice, relatively inexpensive. Schools are good, but they are always having to rezone due to growth. Taxes keep going up, but no income taxes.

I've been appraising in Flower Mound from when it was just a small community, and seen it explode into the large community it is today.

As to storms, yes, I've seen tornados. In the spring, they come in. Invest in a scanner. You can follow the storm chasers when the weather gets bad. If your insurance company charges a premium for full roof replacement, be sure to get it. Hail is common around here. I've seen it go for three months and no rain. This spring, we got 8-10" in just a few hours.

So, get ready for a fun ride, weather-wise.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:42 PM

Thank you DentonPirate for the heads up. We are coming out to Flower Mound on the 13th of this month to check it all out to make sure its really what we want. Is there any place you or anyone could suggest we see while we are out there?

Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 AM

384 posts, read 1,413,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcandelaria View Post
Thank you DentonPirate for the heads up. We are coming out to Flower Mound on the 13th of this month to check it all out to make sure its really what we want. Is there any place you or anyone could suggest we see while we are out there?

save trip to you all and good luck.

Old 08-07-2007, 02:51 PM

170 posts, read 473,495 times
Default It is HOT

Dont forget the weather. Your post indicated you have not been in the area. I suggest you visit for a week or more to experience the extreme heat and humidity. Its an unreal shock for anyone from Ca. to move to Dallas. The weather is a huge factor. Your kids will probably hate it and I am guessing you will too. You will find stuck up people almost anywhere not just in Ca. If you dont think people in Dallas are materialistic, just look at all the SUV's, huge houses and upscale stores. The traffic is not as bad, but who wants to live in your house all summer cause its too hot to go out for more than a minute. I have lived in both places and speak from experience.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:23 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Oh gosh, he's back. Johnmarq, thank you for reminding us we all live in hell here in Texas. But I personally LOVE IT and would not dream of living anywhere else. I find it VERY hard to understand how in a one weeks visit last year you can somehow find a way to tell everyone ALL ABOUT Dallas and Texas............. I've personally been to S. Cal for MUCH longer visits on multiple occassions than that and I still would not dream of giving people that are looking to relocate there vital information (now if someone were inquiring of where to stay or visit for a vacation on that end I could help - but that is my Texas Hospitality natural instinct ).

Yes, we KNOW darn well how much you think our weather is oppresive and "HOT". One can also see how you don't care for places like the far N. California areas. I also find it ironic that you put down the "materialism" here in the Big D then go on in other posts to boast about how well off S. Cal is. Like there are no SUV's, upscale stores or luxury homes in S. California - hahahahahahaaaaa. LOL!!!

In order to put you in the right path to truthfullness it is only now here in the middle of August that we are getting close to reaching 100 degree temps in the middle of the day but as of right now at 4 in the afternoon it is only 95. So far no bad air quality days to go w/ this heat as we have had a very nice breeze and partly cloudy. It is NOT keeping people locked up in their a/c homes either as the water parks and amusement parks are PACKED! I also passed a HUGE group of bicyclists out right after lunch. Compared to a few other places in the country right now:
Jacksonville, FL - 96 feels like 107 (OUCH)
Atlanta, GA - 95 feels like 100 (hmm, for some reason on other posts you LOVE this place, lol)
Washington DC - 93 feels like 103
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas