Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 17,142 times

Advertisements

I also saw Ray Charles there and Jason Robards in "Play It Again Sam". I have been away from Dallas (lived in Plano)since 1987 and my friends say I would not know the place. Moved to Plano when there was only 14,000 pop. and there was nothing west of I75. Wasn't the playhouse on Coit Rd, right off of 635?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:53 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,463,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenRose View Post
I also saw Ray Charles there and Jason Robards in "Play It Again Sam". I have been away from Dallas (lived in Plano)since 1987 and my friends say I would not know the place. Moved to Plano when there was only 14,000 pop. and there was nothing west of I75. Wasn't the playhouse on Coit Rd, right off of 635?
Granny's Dinner Playhouse? Yes, that's where it was. All gone now.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 27,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
I remember the horse stables near there, actually on La Cosa. There might have been some mobile homes near there.
Called Horseman's Paradise. Used to ride my horse out there to see friends!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney lee douglas View Post
Hannah's pies was a nightly stop on Forest Lane. Were the Springer Stables on Marsh north of Valley View?

BLD
My parents owned the Hannah's pies on Forest Lane and on Spring Valley in Richardson. I worked there as a teen.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I had several birthdays at Penny Whistle Park, and it just killed me when it closed!
Farrell's and Polar Bear Ashburn's Ice Cream, too.
I used to love to get the peppermint ice cream at the Ashburns at Beltline and Central!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood123 View Post
The Gemini Drive In Hamiliton Park was right behind it and on Sat nite actually starting on Fri nites you could hear "gunshots" from that area over the movie, Ron chapman used to run contest or something there, do you all remember the guy that stayed up in a tower there for several days or something?
YES!! I remember that guy! Do you remember when they used to broadcast live radio from the snack bar at the Gemini?

Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood123 View Post
I worked at the limited in Richardson, does anyone remember the Wild Pair shoe place in Northpark, I still have a pair stacked heels in VELVET,,,,,,,,so cool
I remember the Wild Pair at Northpark! My mom always said they were so expensive so I always wanted to go there!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETex2 View Post
When Vern was doing the sports, a guy by the name of Bob Gooding was the news anchor on Channel 8. They mentioned that he just died a couple of days ago.
I used to work at Channel 8 and Verne used to smoke a lot! Bob was really friendly and always smiling!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:02 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,878,202 times
My memories of the Olla Podrida as a kid seemed so strange and dream-like, I wondered if they were real... but after reading some of these messages, it confirms so much that I remember. Information about the place is so sparse... it doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Finding photos of the inside of the very wood, very ship-like mall is nearly impossible, it seems!

The only one I could find to confirm the interior look was the one from this Dallas Observer article (and it's not even about the mall):
David Wingo Once Had A Beer Dumped On Him At Olla Podrida Mall. So, Naturally, That's How He Came Up With His Band's Name. - Dallas Music - DC9 At Night

Google books yields some good info about the mall, via Texas Monthly magazine... looks like it opened early 1973. Some early ads for it appear then. Later issues drop the mall ads, but there are still small strip ads for some businesses there. I suppose it closed in the late 90's sometime.

olla podrida - Google Books

I must admit, now I'm kind of fascinated and would like to read more or (especially) see more pics of the place.. anyone know where I can find more info?

Old 03-03-2010, 06:49 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
My memories of the Olla Podrida as a kid seemed so strange and dream-like, I wondered if they were real... but after reading some of these messages, it confirms so much that I remember. Information about the place is so sparse... it doesn't even have a wikipedia page. Finding photos of the inside of the very wood, very ship-like mall is nearly impossible, it seems!

The only one I could find to confirm the interior look was the one from this Dallas Observer article (and it's not even about the mall):
David Wingo Once Had A Beer Dumped On Him At Olla Podrida Mall. So, Naturally, That's How He Came Up With His Band's Name. - Dallas Music - DC9 At Night

Google books yields some good info about the mall, via Texas Monthly magazine... looks like it opened early 1973. Some early ads for it appear then. Later issues drop the mall ads, but there are still small strip ads for some businesses there. I suppose it closed in the late 90's sometime.

olla podrida - Google Books

I must admit, now I'm kind of fascinated and would like to read more or (especially) see more pics of the place.. anyone know where I can find more info?
My dad took me there when I was 12. it really did seems magical and exotic. I think it closed around 1996.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas