Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 10:05 PM

256 posts, read 448,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Talking about the pot calling the kettle black. Washing DC has some of the strongest gun laws in the nation but also have some of the highest crime rates.
I don't want to belabor this, but look at a map. Virtually all of DC's guns used in crimes come from Maryland and Virginia, states with (wait for it...) lax gun laws. Which is exactly what I said -- states with lax gun laws have many available guns that enter the black market and are used by criminals. The solution is not MORE people armed, but fewer guns and tougher laws in all states.

Furthermore, if the "citizen needs to protect himself" argument were true, you would see lots of law-abiding DC residents who don't have guns easily shot down by criminals who do. This is not the case in DC -- the affluent areas are not being targeted by the illegal gun toting thugs. The vast majority of DC gun violence is the underclass shooting each other in a certain part of the city. The wealthy citizens of NW DC are not sleeping with guns under their pillows, nor are they being targeted. (And, incidentally, DC hasn't been the murder capital since the early 90s; gentrification has revitalized much of the city, if not all.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 10:32 PM

256 posts, read 448,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Seriously, do you even know how to swim or did your parents shelter you from that one as well? Ya, we installed a fence around our swimming pool...this was done to protect the lives of kids with parents like you!! Our child was taught how to swim when he was 3yrs old and LONG before we owned a swimming pool. It was the smart thing to do! It's unbelievable how many parents and kids I've run across who can't swim...and most of them complain about firearms despite more kids are killed by swimming pools. Ya, think of the children my rear, just more political crud!
Of course I taught my children how to swim. But until a child is older, that is still no substitute for supervision AND a pool fence. That is not "political crud" -- whatever that means -- it is responsible, educated parenting. Have you heard of that?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 PM

19,797 posts, read 18,093,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
I don't want to belabor this, but look at a map. Virtually all of DC's guns used in crimes come from Maryland and Virginia, states with (wait for it...) lax gun laws. Which is exactly what I said -- states with lax gun laws have many available guns that enter the black market and are used by criminals. The solution is not MORE people armed, but fewer guns and tougher laws in all states.

Furthermore, if the "citizen needs to protect himself" argument were true, you would see lots of law-abiding DC residents who don't have guns easily shot down by criminals who do. This is not the case in DC -- the affluent areas are not being targeted by the illegal gun toting thugs. The vast majority of DC gun violence is the underclass shooting each other in a certain part of the city. The wealthy citizens of NW DC are not sleeping with guns under their pillows, nor are they being targeted. (And, incidentally, DC hasn't been the murder capital since the early 90s; gentrification has revitalized much of the city, if not all.)
With due respect, you are out of your mind if you believe Maryland has lax gun laws.

Wealthy citizens in DC sans handguns are not defenseless necessarily. They may well arm themselves with all manner of long guns.

Did you catch the story just today about the lady hotel worker who was about to be assaulted and likely raped? She ventilated the bad guy with a pistol.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:37 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
Quote:
Of course I taught my children how to swim. But until a child is older, that is still no substitute for supervision AND a pool fence. That is not "political crud" -- whatever that means -- it is responsible, educated parenting. Have you heard of that?
I applaud you for teaching your child/dren to swim! Yes, it's our responsibility to educate our children, I've been advocating it since day one. I trust our son around swimming pools more than most adults I know. As for our son, he has advanced to the point that we no longer require a pool fence and thus have since removed it.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
With due respect, you are out of your mind if you believe Maryland has lax gun laws.
The people of Maryland may as well be living in China when it comes to gun laws.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
The United States's gun-related death rate absolutely dwarfs Western Europe and much of Asia. It really bothers me when people think that the answer to reducing violent gun deaths is to have MORE guns. Of course it also bothers me more when some armchair cowboy with a concealed handgun thinks he's got the chops to play Dirty Harry in an emergency.

Actually there are millions MORE guns in the US over the past 20 years and the homicide rate has plummeted:

Table 1 - Crime in the United States 2009

Plenty of the armchair cowboys do indeed rise to the occasion. Even my 80 year old Mother-in-law-did, so please don't leave out the armchair cowgirls.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Actually there are millions MORE guns in the US over the past 20 years and the homicide rate has plummeted:

Table 1 - Crime in the United States 2009

Plenty of the armchair cowboys do indeed rise to the occasion. Even my 80 year old Mother-in-law-did, so please don't leave out the armchair cowgirls.
Yes sir/ma'am,

2008 sparked one of the largest ammo and firearm frenzies in the US and according to the FBI, states across the board saw reduced crime rates in 2008 and 2009. There was enough firearms sold during this time to arm China and enough ammo to supply them for a decade.

The answer isn't reduced firearms, Romana has mentioned the reduced firearms England resulting in low firearm related deaths...which is true! BUT, she fails to mention the increased violent crimes involving knives. Stabbibgs has gotten so bad in England that people wear stab proof clothing. England has actually banned some types of knives and swords. Their even going so fair as to registering knives and selling anti-stabbing knives. Criminals has gotten wise to this and started stabbing people in the eyes with so called stabb proof knives! what's England's next move, banning rocks?

The fact of the matter is man kind has been killing each other since the dawn of time, often starting with their bare hands. The best way to reduce crime is to do away with triple life sentences, and people serving 20yrs on death row. California could almost whip out their State's debt almost over night by exciting murders on death row. Think about it, it cost a state about 55.00 per day to house one criminal. That is 20,075 per year for each criminal and 20,075,000 per year for a 1,000 criminals.

Anyways, I don't have time to really argue this subject. I understand firearms is not for everyone, the Second Amendment only guarantees us the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, it doesn't require you to arm your self. So I stand by your right not to have to bear arms and only ask that you respect my right to keep and bear arms.

Last edited by SVTRay; 07-26-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 07-26-2011, 02:10 PM

As for firearms crossing the border to Mexico from Texas and Arizona, do a search on Project Gun Walker. The BATF knew about straw firearm buying and allowed it to continue until a US Border agent was killed with one of those guns. Also, look up US Federal agent and or Secret service man caught illegally selling firearms across the border to Mexico.

BREAKING NEWS: ATF attaché calls Gunwalker 'perfect storm of idiocy' - Semi Auto Rifles - Forums (http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11480-breaking-news-atf-attache-calls-gunwalker-perfect-storm-of-idiocy/page__pid__61200#entry61200 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas