Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 02:24 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
UNT makes a point and I for the 100th time have been humbled on this forum. Folks do want to be with their own that they feel comfortable with. I get it.
Once, my wife and I had to set up a banking booth for a forum at a Black church in Red Bird (I think it was Friendship Baptist- it was on 67). We came in as the Sunday service was letting out. We were probably the only white people within miles. The dirty looks we got from the congregation were chilling. We were not welcome. No "friendship" there. I'm sure this is how Blacks felt during the Civil Rights era.
And I used to work near Fair Park and we got our birthday cakes from the grocery store across from the main entrance. I was often the only white patron in the store and NEVER felt ostracized or not welcome. As a matter of fact, most people were very friendly and I actually preferred it to my local grocery store.

I suspect the context of you setting up to "sell" your product had more to do with things than the color of your skin.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:28 PM

105 posts, read 330,617 times
I like that you guys don't play when it comes to racism. As an African American Woman, it makes me feel even better about my decision to relocate to Dallas.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,394,304 times
Not to stir the pot but saying you want you kids to go to a majority (plurality new word badge of honor) school is the same thing as saying you wouldnt want your kids to go to a school with mostly latino/black/Asian kids.

And we moved to Park Citiesfor schools and stable property values.

Last edited by GreyDay; 02-01-2012 at 03:47 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 03:45 PM

134 posts, read 548,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
And I used to work near Fair Park and we got our birthday cakes from the grocery store across from the main entrance. I was often the only white patron in the store and NEVER felt ostracized or not welcome. As a matter of fact, most people were very friendly and I actually preferred it to my local grocery store.

I suspect the context of you setting up to "sell" your product had more to do with things than the color of your skin.

Once again we are comparing apples to oranges. Your talking about a white man or whoever going into a store with 4 or 5 black people and conducting business and leaving. I'm talking about having a kid in a school surrounded by hundreds of other kids.

You are also talking about someone that has aged and experienced life and is in a small group of people. That's much much different than fitting in with teens who as we all know can be much more cruel, much much more opinionated in their styles, language, clothing, etc. It's really no comparison. When I lived in uptown, my post office was by the fair in fair park area. I had no problem going down there. At UPS we have company cookouts. I hate to eat and drive and am ready to go home so often I stop at the bridge by 35/walnut hill or off harry hines and give my food to the homeless which are often black. Going to a school with 30-40% white people in no way inhibits your ability to get along with other races or care for them. It does however help you to blend in, in a time of your life where all your surroundings influence you.

Call me racist, call me an ASS, but differnt cultures act differently, dress differently and speak differently and I want my kid to be raised similar to me speaking the same dialect as me and not afraid to speak out because he feels like he is alienated from his peers.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM

Thanks for feeding the homeless Blacks...

Tolerance is not acceptance.

You of course are free to do what you want. I'd want my child (and myself) to be comfortable whatever their surroundings.

I doubt that in a predominantly Black school the non-black kids would be summarily kicked and beaten.

But what the heck do you mean by 'dialect'? It's called slang. Many versions. And one assumes that much like any slang you can actually use the proper terms when called upon.

And in the end, it's up to you to raise your kids.

But it does change. After a certain point career-wise, we're all in tailored suits and half-Windsors, so I'm not exactly sure how different cultures would dress in modern America. Zegna doesn't make dashikis.

People are alot more alike than disalike.

Last edited by GreyDay; 02-01-2012 at 04:15 PM..

Old 02-01-2012, 04:23 PM

291 posts, read 674,801 times
My high school was 2/3 Asian. I was surrounded by hundred of Asians. (School had over 2,000 students). I had friends of all races and ethnicities. Me and most of my friends went to Top 20 colleges and had SAT scores in the 1300 and above range. I still don't get what your point is. What is it exactly that you are trying to shield your kids from???

Are you concerned about people of different RACES or people of different CULTURES? I'm curious because you mention dressing and speaking differently. My best friends in high school were black and Asian. We all dressed the same for the most part (Benetton, Gap, Macy's) and we all spoke the same except for I was fluent in Spanish and some of them were fluent in French or Korean or Chinese. We all listened to the same music - Depeche Mode, Erasure, etc.

So again I ask the OP - what is it that you are protecting your children from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unteagle View Post
Once again we are comparing apples to oranges. Your talking about a white man or whoever going into a store with 4 or 5 black people and conducting business and leaving. I'm talking about having a kid in a school surrounded by hundreds of other kids.

You are also talking about someone that has aged and experienced life and is in a small group of people. That's much much different than fitting in with teens who as we all know can be much more cruel, much much more opinionated in their styles, language, clothing, etc. It's really no comparison. When I lived in uptown, my post office was by the fair in fair park area. I had no problem going down there. At UPS we have company cookouts. I hate to eat and drive and am ready to go home so often I stop at the bridge by 35/walnut hill or off harry hines and give my food to the homeless which are often black. Going to a school with 30-40% white people in no way inhibits your ability to get along with other races or care for them. It does however help you to blend in, in a time of your life where all your surroundings influence you.

Call me racist, call me an ASS, but differnt cultures act differently, dress differently and speak differently and I want my kid to be raised similar to me speaking the same dialect as me and not afraid to speak out because he feels like he is alienated from his peers.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:26 PM

People are people...We're different colors and different creeds.

Oh L'amour...

Ah the joys of upper school.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM

134 posts, read 548,664 times
It's how we raise our kids. LOL, your funny. So if you kid is exposed to drugs, violence, cursing, sex, but mommy and daddy says thats wrong they will be fine? Who are you kidding? Not saying it doesn't happen but come on.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:53 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,647,352 times
Quote:
It's how we raise our kids. LOL, your funny. So if you kid is exposed to drugs, violence, cursing, sex, but mommy and daddy says thats wrong they will be fine? Who are you kidding? Not saying it doesn't happen but come on.
Er, do you realize you're now equating "drugs, violence, cursing, sex" with schools that apparently aren't "white enough" for your comfort level?

That may not be what you really mean, but...look at what you're typing, think about it, and maybe that'll explain why you're getting the responses you are.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:00 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,748,805 times
Quote:

Actually dude I wasn't talking to you. You're a lost cause. And I did look up the school in my neighborhood on School Digger which technically fits your demographic, but I'm quite relieved you'd never be considering it. While 56% of the student body is "white" a good portion of that is going to be kids of middle-eastern descent. So it's not the level of diversity you are seeking. And actually every elementary school in this area embraces and celebrates it's diversity. So not really your cup of tea.

I don't normally steer people away from this jewel of a community I live in, but quite honestly, I don't want to have to run into you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: