Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 07:19 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times

Advertisements

Prosper is WAY up north and would be a lengthy commute to your office. The main commute would be either down an expensive toll road, or down I35E which is very crowded in the mornings. It is also far removed from family activities, such as anything cultural (museums, arts, etc.)

Southlake will be fairly close and has a lot in your price range. It also has excellent schools. As oths have said, a 3/4 acre lot wil be a difficult find, but 1/2 acre is doable.

Coppell might have something in your price range with that lot size and would be worth a look. Schools there are also excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 07:28 AM

254 posts, read 521,935 times
I would not be in the office every day, maybe 2-3 days a week on average. I currently commute 45 minutes to an hour each way, does not bother me at all.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:05 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,537 times
We live in Prosper and love it. We moved here from Greenwich,Ct a few years ago. We have been very pleased with the school district

We love being close to a mass amount of family activities and kid fiendly events in near by Frisco,Mc kinney,Plano and Allen. Denton is an easy drive as well. Northern Collin County is a very family friendly area. Our budget was close to yours and Prosper was hands down the best fit for us.

If someone has a budget over $250,000 and has the money to maintain a larger lot, Prosper is a fantastic choice.The community supports everything the children do. Kids sporting events are always packed and it is common to see the majority of cars driving around town with a green "P" sticker on the back windshield showing support for the school district.The residents of Prosper are currently building Windmill Playgroud,100 percent resident built and partially funded.Residents and businesses made donations to build...

http://www.windmillplayground.com/

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Town-o...43305989014305

We are close to every amenity and entertainment venue we need. Prosper borders Frisco and Mc kinney. It takes me 15 minutes to get to the entertainment and shopping in Allen. Prosper will soon have it's own entertainment and shopping that the residents support.

O'Brien Architecture

Lot sizes are lare througout the entire town. There are no back alley ways. Right now every main road is getting widended.Preston,Coit and 1 st street.

Check out these communities online that are in your price point....

- Quail Lake
- Whitley Place
- Deer Run
- Crestview ( Gated w/ 24 hour guard house)
- Willow Ridge

Check out my previous pots on Prosper for detailed information and good luck with your move...you will love North Texas.

Last edited by CREW747; 05-20-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 05-20-2012, 08:32 AM

473 posts, read 1,199,350 times
Consider West Flower Mound, Double Oak, Copper Canyon. All excellent schools and probability of getting a 1/2 to 1+ acre lots in your price range with commute under 35- 50 mins.

Skillern Blvd to Exit 440A - Google Maps

Old 05-20-2012, 09:01 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,645,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
Right near 635 and 35E, hope that helps.

Thank you
Ah, just saw this. Yeah, Prosper would be a rough commute to here. I see Crew has been by to talk up All Things Prosper.

Coppell would be best, but good luck finding a lot that large. Southlake or Colleyville are possibilities as well, but again the larger lots are typically at a half acre. But if you really want 3/4 acre or more and good schools, I'd look at Double Oak (in the Lewisville ISD) or the generally western parts of Flower Mound. The Marcus HS and Flower Mound HS feeder systems are very good overall.

As an FYI, the best school district in the DFW area is Highland Park, but you need 800K+ to buy there (emphasis on the "plus").

Old 05-20-2012, 11:36 AM

254 posts, read 521,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchronicity View Post
Ah, just saw this. Yeah, Prosper would be a rough commute to here. I see Crew has been by to talk up All Things Prosper.

Coppell would be best, but good luck finding a lot that large. Southlake or Colleyville are possibilities as well, but again the larger lots are typically at a half acre. But if you really want 3/4 acre or more and good schools, I'd look at Double Oak (in the Lewisville ISD) or the generally western parts of Flower Mound. The Marcus HS and Flower Mound HS feeder systems are very good overall.

As an FYI, the best school district in the DFW area is Highland Park, but you need 800K+ to buy there (emphasis on the "plus").
On Mapquest it is 28 miles?? I am not sure I fully understand what is meant by "Rough"

I am originally from Long Island, NY, have lived in CT, and now reside in MA. I can not imagine the traffic is close to Long Island and 28 miles there is actually a short commute. I can not remember having less than a 28 mile commute.

45 minute each way to me is absolutely fine, are you saying it will be longer than that?

Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM

48 posts, read 132,333 times
I live in Prosper and it is great. Commute to 635/35 would be tuff some mornings, but overall not too bad. GREAT schools and nice people. We moved three years ago fom NC and picked the right spot. The High School is something you have to see in person, looks like a small college.

You can go farther out into Celina (7 more mile). Lots are a lot bigger and you can easily get an acre or more in your price range.

Let me know if you need more info on Celina or Prosper.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:56 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
45 minute each way to me is absolutely fine, are you saying it will be longer than that?
It could be longer if there is bad weather or a wreck. There's no reason to make a 45 minute commute in DFW because there are good neighborhoods all over the area.

Crew loves Prosper, and I love Grapevine, but the difference between us is that I'm realistic about commute times and he thinks everyone wants to make the drive down a toll road from Prosper, and live on the edge of the prairie up there. Btw, said toll road will cost about $5 a day...

Old 05-20-2012, 09:15 PM

48 posts, read 132,333 times
The edge of the prairie sounds like exactly what he is looking for and that is Prosper/Celina. Yes, in the country, but huge lots, great schools, low crime and everything you need in 10 miles or less. Easy drive to Frisco and McKinney. Not to mention the "Bridges of Prosper" coming in a few years with one of the best shopping areas around, just look it up (Jerry Jones properties).

She is right, I spend $800-900 in tolls annually. However, I knew this upfront and Prosper is what I was looking for. I do like Grapevine, great shopping and tons of good restaurants.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 PM

56 posts, read 76,945 times
I live in Prosper but only because I inherited a house here. It takes ages to get to the city during rush hour and town is a slow motion construction movie. As soon as I can find a buyer or a tenant, I'm out of here. If this was the quaint little rural town that real estate people paint it to be than I would ignore other issues but its nothing like that if you ask me. I think it is going to take at least ten years if not more for amenities to come here and builders to move out. Even after all that, you just can not do anything about the location. If you work in Frisco or McKinney than sure but no other reason to invest 600K here in this slow economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas