Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 02:32 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,648,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer12 View Post
Correct we are not City people, edge of the prairie sounds about right, with access to shopping with-in 10 minutes and Great Schools.
Then if I were you, I'd definitely look at Western Flower Mound or Double Oak (my wife's comment approaching Flower Mound from the west: "It reminds me of 'Bonanza'"). Awfully close to "edge of prairie", but close to shopping and with more established and better schools than Prosper.

THBS, be aware that Dallas is expanding much quicker than cities in the NE, so "edge of the prairie" could become "established suburb" within ten years. For example, Frisco (burb just south of Prosper) had a population of ~6,600 people in 1990. By 2000 the population had grown to almost 34,000, and reached ~117,000 as of 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM

254 posts, read 522,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
We looked in western Flower Mound. Great schools, great community parks/recreation, larger lots in the western part of FM. Reminds me of Milton/Roswell/Alpharetta (northern ATL burbs). Bit too far for our drive to work downtown. We have friends that moved to FM from Annapolis about a yr ago because they have a lacrosse club for their HS kids (kinda hard to find), and they could get about 1/2 acre in that price range. Lots of kiddo activities for your little ones. (Keep in mind the distance from the suburbs is indirectly proportionate to the amount of elementary/toddler actitives. If your family cares about gymnastics, swimming, parks/rec classes, etc.)
Very good to know, I have not lived in Atlanta, but know it very well through business trips. I almost moved there as well, we love Milton/Alpharetta area.

Old 05-22-2012, 12:08 PM

118 posts, read 253,076 times
With that budget, consider Lakes of Las Colinas if you're looking for new construction. It's only down the road from where your office will be and in a beautiful, centralized area. Elementary zoned to that area is exemplary.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:16 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
Quote:
On Mapquest it is 28 miles?? I am not sure I fully understand what is meant by "Rough"

I am originally from Long Island, NY, have lived in CT, and now reside in MA. I can not imagine the traffic is close to Long Island and 28 miles there is actually a short commute. I can not remember having less than a 28 mile commute.

45 minute each way to me is absolutely fine, are you saying it will be longer than that?
If you can control the start and end time it is doable. Prosper is a very nice community dont let the old tension between those who think its too far out and a cheerleader for what is a very nice large lot community put you off. I am use to long commutes and do one that this board says is bad but its a piece of cake to me when I go in around 7am and leave for home around 4:40 or after 6pm.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:38 PM

254 posts, read 522,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
If you can control the start and end time it is doable. Prosper is a very nice community dont let the old tension between those who think its too far out and a cheerleader for what is a very nice large lot community put you off. I am use to long commutes and do one that this board says is bad but its a piece of cake to me when I go in around 7am and leave for home around 4:40 or after 6pm.
I can absolutely control start and end times. I would be covering Northern TX, part of OK, and Arkansaw. Keep in mind I can do plenty of work from the Road on the Phone, that is what I do today. I plan to make phone calls during my road times.

I am on the road by 6:30am the latest and leaving at 4pm is no issue what so ever.

Last edited by Homer12; 05-22-2012 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-25-2012, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,291 times
Default Areas of DFW

I realize my posting is long. For those of you who want to chastise me afterward, by no means am I biased. I do feel I have a lot of experience living in the DFW area and thought it would be helpful.

One huge item I see that is missing in the posts of the individuals suggesting Southlake, Grapevine, Flower Mound, Double Oak, Coppell or Colleyville areas is, the nightmare of construction that is ongoing in those areas and will be for at least the next 3 years. As well as, those areas (much like Plano) have a lot of people crammed in.

I grew up in the Lewisville/Flower Mound areas and have lived in Valley Ranch, Coppell, Double Oak, Plano and McKinney. I also have brothers that currently live in the Grapevine, Flower Mound and Lewisville areas. When I visit my brother in Grapevine the traffic (due to construction) is a nightmare -- even during the weekend, depending on what's going on. To give you an example; I recently drove to Colleyville from Plano. I had to be in the Colleyville area by 11 am. I left Plano at 10 am, due to the construction traffic it took me the entire hour to get door to door -- this was taking advantage of the 121 Tollway. The following week I needed to be in Southlake. I left at the same time, it took me over 1 hour to get to Southlake -- once again, the construction was a nightmare. All I hear on the radio in the mornings is the traffic issues in those areas due to construction. Also, the I-35 corridor is dead stop most weekday mornings and early evenings. This is due to so many people driving toward Dallas from Lewisville, Flower Mound, Highland Village and Copper Canyon. One of my brothers works in downtown Dallas, he chooses to get up at 4 am in order to miss the rush hour traffic.

After being gone the past 11 years, we came back to the Dallas area this past June. Due to how much the metroplex had grown we decided to rent in Plano for 1 year in hopes this would help us re-learn the metroplex as well as help familiarize ourselves with the schools. After doing extensive research we have chosen to purchase a home in Prosper. We love the fact that you can get to shopping, restaurants, etc. by the N. Dallas Tollway, 75, Preston and Custer. You also have easy access to 121 Tollway and 380. Prosper offers excellent schools that are growing but nowhere near the size of the schools in the other towns being mentioned. Schools are extremely important as we have two middle school age kids. The home we are purchasing is in a neighborhood just off of Coit and Prosper Trail. All the homes sit on 1 acre lots and have the iron fencesversus, the wooden fences the majority of homes in the DFW area have. Moderator cut: see comment A newer home was also something we wanted. With Prosper being new you get a new or newer home versus homes that are now in need of updating, etc. Prosper reminds me of Double Oak -- I've heard others say, it reminds them of Southlake, but without all the traffic. One other reason we chose to go for a smaller town environment is, the sports. Our son loves to play basketball; however, with some of the areas mentioned, unless you are an AMAZING athlete, the school athletic opportunities are gone.

I hope I've given you a better idea of the DFW area without overwhelming you.

I truly wish you and your family the best of luck with your decision.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-26-2012 at 01:50 AM.. Reason: Sorry, Per TOS, new members must have at least 10 posts before posting specific recommendations.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:44 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,417,653 times
If I didnt have family in North Dallas and commute to Irving 3 days a week, I would have considered Prosper based upon what I see there now. I didnt know it when I moved up here and most steer people away from it due to the distance which isnt an issue for you and wouldnt have been from work for me...but the distance to family would be an issue. Good luck on your move back and let us know how we can help further.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:11 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,820,123 times
Quote:
I can absolutely control start and end times. I would be covering Northern TX, part of OK, and Arkansaw. Keep in mind I can do plenty of work from the Road on the Phone, that is what I do today. I plan to make phone calls during my road times.

I am on the road by 6:30am the latest and leaving at 4pm is no issue what so ever.
Commute perceptions are very different between DFW natives and people from up here..I am also in MA. I really didn't have a problem with the times from places like McKinney, Flower Mound etc when I tested them out.

You're on the right path, looking at the right places. Prosper is nice a little far out though, and on a toll road. I would second Flower Mound for best choice overall. I know you said you can't get there but a visit beforehand would do you wonders for your perceptions. See if you can negotiate a test visit with your employer before you commit. Overall it's pretty damn nice down there, with the exception of the fact some of these suburbs are reloville central. Make friends then they move. Seems like not as many set down roots in some suburb pockets, like folks do up here in the Northeast.

It's very spread out down there, so keep this in mind. Densities aren't like up here. But there are still 6 million plus in the area, so its get busy on the roads. And like someone else mentioned, you haven't seen nutty drivers until you rent a car in DFW. It's pure jackasserie.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:38 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Road construction in Grapevine is well ahead of schedule and will be done in 2013. I wouldn't even make it a consideration at this point. Once it is finished, roads through there will be excellent!

And as for the comment about population density, it is no different in NE Tarrant than it is elsewhere in DFW. In fact, since so much of the land in this area is DFW Airport property, and uninhabited, the population density is probably lower...

Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 PM

91 posts, read 152,556 times
Most people with that budget wouldn't be asking......................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas