Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 08:26 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,093,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
We would as well. I just wanted to post as nice as possible to inform the poster without trying to show judgement.

*Also, I want to note that Texas school districts have vaccination requirements as well so home schooling may be your only option.
That's what I figured. I'm a big believer in giving parents a very wide berth to raise their kids as they see fit. However, I'm not going to support parents making poor decisions based on feelings, religion, bad information etc. that mathematically/statistically speaking harm their kids and others.

I guess I'm ok with bonafide religious reasons and of course doctors excuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:28 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
We would as well. I just wanted to post as nice as possible to inform the poster without trying to show judgement.

*Also, I want to note that Texas school districts have vaccination requirements as well so home schooling may be your only option.
Incorrect. Only privates. We are fully supported by our pediatrician as well, and will do an alternative vax schedule as she gets older omitting some.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:30 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceraceae View Post
You wouldnt let your child around an unvaccinated child? Holy hell that is stupid.
And some think not vaccinating your children is stupid. To each their own.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
You wouldnt let your child around an unvaccinated child? Holy hell that is stupid.
Nope, what's stupid - and completely preventable- is that there are enough unvaccinated kids now (between illegal immigrants and anti-vax families) that people are getting diseases that have been practically extinct for 50 years due to modern immunization. Measles, mumps, and whooping cough are all on the rise with cases increasing double digits each year.

"Herd immunity" is a real thing and it protects the very few kids who can't be vaccinated because they're undergoing cancer treatment or other medical conditions, as well as the general population whose health has been compromised due to age or other sickness/pre-existing conditions.

If I knew a family was anti-vax (outside of for legit medical reasons for one of their kids), I would also distance myself from them as much as possible.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Incorrect. Only privates. We are fully supported by our pediatrician as well, and will do an alternative vax schedule as she gets older omitting some.
Texas DOES have a mandatory public school vaccination schedule with allowed exemptions from doctors, religious reasons, and "parental conscious" (which is how the anti-vax people get around them). I would assume at some point the state will need to tighten up that last bucket due to a growin medical crisis.

http://www.hpisd.org/Portals/0/docs/...unizations.pdf

Old 01-04-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
The problem isn't the few kids who remain unvaccinated via Drs. opinion - and that would be one or some skipped vaccines not all in almost every case. The problem is instead the much larger cadre of unvaccinated kids whose parents have been hoodwinked by shortwave radio hosts, rumor and fraudsters.

What's stupid is people on the anti-vaccination bandwagon helping previously defeated diseases like measles, mumps, whooping cough and chicken pox each make a statical comeback in the general population of children and some adults.

Vaccine-Preventable Diseases Emerging Thanks to Anti-Vaxxers

I knew a kid who almost died of whooping cough 40 years ago. It was indescribably awful. Texas saw more whooping cough cases in 2013 than in 1959.

Currently there is a mumps outbreak in The NHL something like 20 NHL people have had the mumps this year. Lots of Canadians and European players for whatever reason were not vaccinated for mumps.

Here is a quote from a doc. hired by the league.

"Dr. Wallace also noted that if the NHL didn't have high vaccine coverage, there would have already been a lot more cases of the mumps reported."

That sort of thing is why my kids would not have been around unvaccinated kids when knowable.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
See to me that is totally defensible position. If a doc. says wait or skip some vaccines I support that fully. Now the rub is if your kid or any kid skips the MMR set in particular I'd likely not let my kid play with yours.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are talking about. Kids need an array of vaccines or a bonafide docs excuse or be vaccinated. Heck my daughter had to get a meningitis vaccine and others to go to Texas A&M.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:53 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
When I went to work for the children's hospital in Fort Worth, ALL STAFF, regardless of our role or amount of patient contact, had to either show proof of vaccination or immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox and whooping cough before beginning employment. Since I was never vaccinated for chickenpox (I had it when I was 10, and the vaccine didn't come out until I was in college), I had to have blood titers run to prove my immunity. The alternative was getting most of the childhood vaccinations over again. It was not a negotiable matter!

These diseases are serious matters. Measles is extremely contagious and can be very dangerous. Whooping cough can kill, too. My parents remember polio outbreaks, and how scared parents were that their child would contract that horrible, incurable disease. Thanks to the anti-vax crowd, polio is even making a comeback!

It just blows my mind that parents think their kids will be safer not being vaccinated and protected against these diseases.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:23 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,535,854 times
I would like to see more pediatricians fire patients for not vaccinating. It is ok to have questions as a parent- but unconscionable in my view to choose not to vaccinate in the face of overwhelming evidence of their safety. Why anyone listens to McCarthy, who takes her clothes off for a living, or anecdotal stories, over evidence based peer reviewed scientific research is BEYOND what I can understand. You have struck a deep nerve with me, potential Frisco anti- vaxer, and I hope you choose to make your home somewhere besides my area. I am a pretty open- minded person but we don't need any more anti- science, anti- facts loonies here. I applaud Mississippi (now there's a phrase I didn't anticipate saying) for its "archaic" law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas