Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:16 PM

953 posts, read 1,831,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspkash1 View Post
the house has no upgrades that popped on us (except for granite in kitches and bath room, HW flooring - which is probably standard).. i'm sure if we ask them they'll give a list of upgrades they did which to us will not seem like 'real' upgrades..
If you find nailed down hardwood floors "standard" on entry, family, study, dining and hallways at any other new construction, please let me know. AFAIK these run between 11k to 18k depending on the size and builder. Of course, you can get it done later for little less if you can live with the inconvenience for 3-4 weeks and get a good contractor. There are several other things such as media room that is not standard in the base price that includes pre-wire 5.1/7.1 surround, sconce lights, sound proofing and accent paint. These rooms range from 11-16k as well. There are many other small upgrades that are generally not standard such as carpet upgrade, electricals (conduits, floor plugs, freezer line, etc). Anyways these are usually never standard unless you are looking at Huntington, Belclaire homes, etc.

Anyways, things add up. I would love to know if you can find a brand new home by reputed builders so close to 121 below $110/sqft. I am myself in the market and I don't seem to find anything below $115/sqft (again reputed builders).

I will never buy in Plano a 10+ year old house. Just my preference and may be experiences from my friends with foundation issues, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 PM

323 posts, read 633,799 times
What foundation issues that can happen in Plano but not in Frisco? It's all about construction quality.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:50 PM

953 posts, read 1,831,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
What foundation issues that can happen in Plano but not in Frisco? It's all about construction quality.
It is new construction vs 10+ year old construction and not frisco vs. Plano. I would love to be in Plano if I can get a newer than 10+ year old home that I like. And no it is not just about construction quality, it is also about how the owner maintains it.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 AM

67 posts, read 164,386 times
Why aren't you working with a Realtor? You don't pay anything for a buyer's agent, their commission comes from the seller (in this case, the builder). The best way to determine what constitutes a good offer is to look at recent sales data for comparable homes in the area, which can be really hard to find without access to the MLS.

Also with foundations, a newer house means warranty for 10 years which is a big plus, but foundation problems in this area are common and should be expected as part of owning a home here. They always say it's not an "if but a when" question. It's just the sandy soil type and drought issues we have in north Texas. Maintenance can only do so much to prevent movement.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:50 AM

112 posts, read 228,853 times
Is it possible to get a CMA report for the community since they are all new houses? And how long does it take for the newer homes to show on the county appraiser website?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,856,481 times
This thread has gone off the rails. Stick to the OP's question or your post will be deleted and maybe infracted for hijacking.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:46 PM

26 posts, read 80,849 times
Current price on this home is now $490,990. and with the 30k off it is $460k..

Old 03-28-2013, 08:18 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,024,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoveinSept View Post
Current price on this home is now $490,990. and with the 30k off it is $460k..
$20k increase in couple of weeks?

Old 03-28-2013, 11:56 AM

26 posts, read 80,849 times
The prices are shocking.. We drove all around Richwoods, LP, Arbors at Willowbay, PCR and the prices are so high. All we heard from the sales team was it is gonna further climb up....

Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,750,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
It really depends on the geology. A lot of locations in Plano and Frisco are on thin soil on the Austin Chalk and will have no foundation issues no matter what. Other locations will have deep clay on top of the Chalk and may or may not have issues.

If you are bored, drive down Plano Road in Richardson heading South and when you get South of Renner, look down into the creek on your right. That 20 foot high rock cliff is the Austin Chalk. It underlies much of Collin County.

The real reason to go with a new home is that it will be MUCH more energy efficient than an older one. And the appliances, etc are new. Your cash outflow for repairs and cooling costs will be much lower the next ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas