Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 01:37 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,432,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Way, way, way too hot. Not to mention it would be a resale issue for most potential buyers. I wouldn't even consider it unless the yard was huge and the hard surface was say 20% of the total and far away from the house.

Also, hard covering will often kill existing trees nearby and you will create an instant drainage problem for yourself.
This, all of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:29 PM

212 posts, read 411,244 times
I was considering (long range) doing flower/shrub beds (mostly natives) and decomposed granite paths and patio areas. I have a mature elm in the backyard, and the lot is average/small for west Richardson. Same concerns? I am just sick and tired of paying to maintain and water the grass, nor is it my favorite look.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
I was considering (long range) doing flower/shrub beds (mostly natives) and decomposed granite paths and patio areas. I have a mature elm in the backyard, and the lot is average/small for west Richardson. Same concerns? I am just sick and tired of paying to maintain and water the grass, nor is it my favorite look.
That is infinitely more desirable than a huge slab of concrete. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me; I have claimed some of my lawn for hard landscaping too, though not concrete.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:52 PM

11,900 posts, read 27,045,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanyMalone View Post
That would be a lot better. If a future owner wanted to try and change the yard back to grass (such as if the tree dies), it wouldn't be that difficult.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:14 PM

990 posts, read 2,310,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyguy_2011 View Post
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]We have a backyard of size 30*50 feet in our north dallas home. I would like to convert this to hard surface(concrete slabs or some other material) which makes backyard more usable.

My plan is to leave around 5 feets of grass all around and convert the rest to hard surface. I will be using the hard surface mainly as play area(badminton court/ kids bike area ..etc).

I want to know if anyone has done this and what's the thought on this??.

Will this bring down the property value?.

Will we have to careful about the under ground utility pipes(I am leaving 5 feet all around).

Also what is the best material you suggest to use for this...

Thank You in advance for your response....
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
This is more common than you think. Especially with people that have pools. I have a friend that had a beautiful yard like this. Large slate pavers next to the house, with some planter boxes. Pergula covering it with growing Wisteria. Pebbled concrete around the pool. On one side, there's all soil with various drought tolerant plants. Large planter boxes on at the back. And play space with trees and grass on the other side. I laugh at anyone that thinks this brought their property value down. They had the pool already. But adding the extra hardscape put their home in a whole other price bracket when they were selling. I remember them having to relocated the electric. But much had to be moved because of the pool before. Their house was in the 300s before this project and in the mid 400s afterward. It might be more than most would do, but its certainly not too hot. If anything, they added a ton of shade and rediscovered their front yard as a place to play and front porch as a place to sit and relax.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:22 PM

3,834 posts, read 8,786,013 times
The difference there is the pool. Not essentially a parking lot in the back yard.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
This is more common than you think. Especially with people that have pools. I have a friend that had a beautiful yard like this. Large slate pavers next to the house, with some planter boxes. Pergula covering it with growing Wisteria. Pebbled concrete around the pool. On one side, there's all soil with various drought tolerant plants. Large planter boxes on at the back. And play space with trees and grass on the other side. I laugh at anyone that thinks this brought their property value down. They had the pool already. But adding the extra hardscape put their home in a whole other price bracket when they were selling. I remember them having to relocated the electric. But much had to be moved because of the pool before. Their house was in the 300s before this project and in the mid 400s afterward. It might be more than most would do, but its certainly not too hot. If anything, they added a ton of shade and rediscovered their front yard as a place to play and front porch as a place to sit and relax.
Key difference: pool pool pool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
The difference there is the pool. Not essentially a parking lot in the back yard.
This.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:56 PM

277 posts, read 681,882 times
Having the whole concrete backyard can turn off potential buyers with kids when it comes to resell. (Unless you make it a full court basketball area. I've see some houses with those in my area.)

Old 07-02-2013, 10:19 PM

581 posts, read 927,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyguy_2011 View Post
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]We have a backyard of size 30*50 feet in our north dallas home. I would like to convert this to hard surface(concrete slabs or some other material) which makes backyard more usable.

My plan is to leave around 5 feets of grass all around and convert the rest to hard surface. I will be using the hard surface mainly as play area(badminton court/ kids bike area ..etc).

I want to know if anyone has done this and what's the thought on this??.

Will this bring down the property value?.

Will we have to careful about the under ground utility pipes(I am leaving 5 feet all around).

Also what is the best material you suggest to use for this...

Thank You in advance for your response....
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
The idea sounds pretty cool and outside the box to me. I would paint a part of the concrete blue so that it would look like a swimming pool and that would help maintain the resale value of the property. The rest of the concrete would be painted ultra white and reflective of the heat helping to stave off global warming. Also, just consider how one wouldn't have to poison the earth any more by using toxic insecticides on insects as there wouldn't be any. After all, yards of green grass have proven to attracts pests like insects. Indeed, plastic plants and yards of concrete could help us stop the threat of global warming and save the environment from pollutants like insecticides.

Thank you, sir! It is people like you that continue making this nation great!

Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,421,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkyman View Post
The idea sounds pretty cool and outside the box to me. I would paint a part of the concrete blue so that it would look like a swimming pool and that would help maintain the resale value of the property.
WTH?!?! No, painting concrete blue to "look like a pool" absolutely, 110% will NOT "help maintain the resale value". We have a pool and having a giant slab of blue concrete in the backyard would in no way be the same as having a pool. Where do people come up with these crazy ideas.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas