Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 08:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times

Advertisements

Like a quarter of the homes in Dallas have an added circular driveway in their front yard (especially as you move up the income brackets), which is basically the equivalent of laying a metric ton of concrete in your backyard. Then they cover the entire backyard in a pool and decking. The same drainage issues apply yet nobody bats an eyelash.

If you want to concrete your backyard and put in fake grass, go for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 09:06 AM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Like a quarter of the homes in Dallas have an added circular driveway in their front yard (especially as you move up the income brackets), which is basically the equivalent of laying a metric ton of concrete in your backyard. Then they cover the entire backyard in a pool and decking. The same drainage issues apply yet nobody bats an eyelash.

If you want to concrete your backyard and put in fake grass, go for it.
That's just incorrect in implication.

Pools generally speaking must have incorporated gravity overflow and deck drainage to the storm sewer and drain/backwash flow to the sanitary sewer.

Circle drives per code in Dallas and I'm sure most cities must via gravity or drains/pumps move water into the storm sewer.

I have both a pool and circle drive it would be a low level catastrophe if either didn't drain properly - especially the circle drive.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
Our neighbor's yard is the yard of a landscaper and they have a xerisacped backyard . They've had it for 5 years and it still looks great. We both have a lot of shade in our backyard. I'm not too worried about executing it. I did xeriscaping at my house in South Carolina which I believe is a more challenging area to execute it thean than Dallas And I've also seen lots of good examples here in Dallas executed well.

Also note that I specifically said low water, not zero here.

They key is planting for your local climate zone, specific shade situation, drainage situation etc. It truly has to be site specific.
The only one I've seen around here that has looked good long term is tended near daily by the owner.

Old 12-02-2019, 09:20 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
perhaps it is that different here than what I am used to in the past. I cannot comment directly on maintaining a low-water or xeriscape lawn in Dallas personally (despite having several friends/acquaintances who seem to have successfully executed it)

But compared to watering, fertilizing, mowing a lawn, I've had good experience with low-maintenance landscaping in the past. It was far from daily landscaping. In the absolute peak growing season, it was once a weekend for maybe an hour. Fall/Winter, it was once a month maximum, no exaggeration. Weed-whacker + manual pulling as needed. Significantly less time and water.

My personal experience so far: I have only been at this house since April. It already has two large graveled planting areas. and the driveway is 2/3 decomposed granite, 1/3 concrete. I did not hand pick any weeds the entire spring or summer out of these areas. I used the weed-whacker/edger about once a month - but pretty much just to edge any wandering grass above ground. They are shaded, and well-drained.

Last edited by Sunbather; 12-02-2019 at 09:30 AM..

Old 12-02-2019, 09:33 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,405,851 times
Quote:
That's just incorrect in implication.
But your implication that the person wouldn't add drains to code is correct? No I don't think so. The heat effects are the exact same.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
But your implication that the person wouldn't add drains to code is correct? No I don't think so. The heat effects are the exact same.

No. I was referring to your post.

The heat effects are very, very different and easy to "see" so with an IR/laser temp. gage. A slab of several to many tons will have much more thermal mass than the same displacement of grass covered dirt. It's absurd that you'd argue otherwise.

It works like this. Thermal mass in most cases is tightly associated with mass/density. Concrete has a density of roughly 150 lbs. per cubic foot, clay soil about 55 or 60 plus grass cover negates considerable heat absorption from sunlight.

That's most of the reason why you can comfortably walk barefoot on grass even on the hottest day while standing barefoot on concrete/flagstone etc. will burn your feet in seconds.

Old 12-02-2019, 10:29 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
agreed. they are very, very different.

Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,071,810 times
We had a fairly small and really useless strip of grass between the pool deck and the fence. It was a pain to mow and keep up with. We ripped out the grass and put in landscape roses that don't need pruning or spraying, and lavender, and annual flowers, and mulched it. It looks better and is easier to maintain.

No grass does not necessarily equal concrete.

Old 12-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
We had a fairly small and really useless strip of grass between the pool deck and the fence. It was a pain to mow and keep up with. We ripped out the grass and put in landscape roses that don't need pruning or spraying, and lavender, and annual flowers, and mulched it. It looks better and is easier to maintain.

No grass does not necessarily equal concrete.
I'm a big fan of lavender around here FWIIW.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:54 PM

1,315 posts, read 1,157,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyguy_2011 View Post
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]We have a backyard of size 30*50 feet in our north dallas home. I would like to convert this to hard surface(concrete slabs or some other material) which makes backyard more usable.

My plan is to leave around 5 feets of grass all around and convert the rest to hard surface. I will be using the hard surface mainly as play area(badminton court/ kids bike area ..etc).

I want to know if anyone has done this and what's the thought on this??.

Will this bring down the property value?.

Will we have to careful about the under ground utility pipes(I am leaving 5 feet all around).

Also what is the best material you suggest to use for this...

Thank You in advance for your response....
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

I would suggest moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas